Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TWC - Beta Testers for New Site Upgrade Wanted

Hey Peeps -
    I need some beta testers to play around in a new forum/discussion environment for TWC --- if you're able and interested, please reply to this thread ... and THANKS!
    Fred
    Fred McKinnon, Pianist/Composer/Worship Leader
    blog: www.fredmckinnon.com

Please check out my piano/instrumental music at:
    www.soundcloud.com/FredMcKinnonMusic
    www.youtube.com/c/FredMcKinnonMusic

I'm interested.

Comment

Always willing to help!
      Eric Frisch
      www.ericfrisch.com

Comment

Ill do it if you need more.

Comment

OK gang -thanks for your help. We're considering a consolidation of all the classic forum features into the main site, powered by Wordpress (forums powered by bbPress). Would love for you to poke around. You'll have to reset your password for your userID, but only in the test environment (your current password will continue to work here in the live forums). User Accounts transferred, by passwords did not.

Go to:
          http://www.theworshipcommunity.com/register/

Paste your current userID (ie. MarkSnyder) into the forgot password form, and follow the instructions in the email to reset password.

Forums have been imported into the new area at:
          http://www.theworshipcommunity.com/discuss

The login box is way down the right sidebar of all main pages (the magazine pages not these forum pages).
          With some design tweaks, a few social sharing plugins, and some massive consolidation/cleaning, it could ultimately be a much cleaner, quicker environment. It also marries the "magazine/blog" section of the site to the forums more consistently where the forums are always embedded within the main site's design.

Won't have all the bells and whistles of current forum software, but most of that not used anyway ...

Most folks don't like change, right ... but with an open mind, poke around and tell me what you think.
          You're welcome to create new threads, reply, etc ... keeping in mind, we'll wipe it all out and do a new import before we made the switch.

Thanks!

Comment

by the way .. please post your feedback here ....

Comment

Sounds like fun- sign me up
              If we want to go places we haven't been, we will have to do things we haven't done.

Comment

Mike, just follow the instructions above in the thread - go to the link and do forgot password, that will allow you to reset password for your userID (Mike on Bass) and then explore/try forums in the new staging area ... then come back here and comment. (your password here will remain the same)

Comment

I do have a question- on the main page with the articles, there is opportunity to comment and such, that's powered through disqus- are there any plans to integrate forums with that section? Meaning, it makes sense to me that if I'm signed up with the forums, I should be able to use that profile to comment on the articles. I'm really not up for registering with disqus- then I'd be too tempted to jump into the fray on CNN et al..

I really don't want to use facebook, I am probably one of the few cavemen without a gmail account or twitter, and I don't see why I should have to use two different interfaces to be involved with theworshipcommunity as a complete site.

Mike
                  If we want to go places we haven't been, we will have to do things we haven't done.

Comment

Mike,
                    If we go to it - the new system is powered by WordPress, so it should interact w/ the articles --- though I think Disqus would allow you to comment w/ that login. (not quite sure)

Comment

Hey Gang - anybody had a chance to poke around yet .. or is this the classic example of "if you can't say anything good ... don't say anything at all"?

Comment

Hey Gang - anybody had a chance to poke around yet .. or is this the classic example of "if you can't say anything good ... don't say anything at all"?
                        Nah, you gotta think of 'glass half full'- no news is good news. No one's telling you it's junk, so it must be the greatest thing since soda in a bottle, right?

I've dug around in there. Just wanted to spend a little time in it before giving feedback.

I like the more consolidated format.

You mentioned some of the software 'bells and whistles' that aren't used much anyway- meaning the icons, smileys, etc?

Does the code itself still work for things like bold, italics, that [ i ] and [ / i ], etc. ? Wasn't having much luck with that. Personally, the ones I use the most are the quotes and the hyperlink builder. The list builder was nice, too.

But, if there is an upside, it helps people like me from writing a dissertation where it doesn't really help anything

The biggest thing I like so far is the links to other resources and discussions. It should get the articles and such more exposure.

It seems to me you guys are on the right track.

Comment

Cool - I haven't dug around that much, I'm pretty sure there HAS to be text formatting, etc ...
                          I'd like the ability to share on social media (ie. share this post on Twitter, etc), and I've seen plugins for that. I will check the text formatting ...

Comment

Freshness

In the current forums, I look at the main top-level list and I can see what thread is being discussed and when the post was and by whom. In the new forums, I have to drill down 2 or 3 forum layers to see what the topic is, since all you have is the date and the poster. Can the freshness view include the topic?

Comment

In general, I like it. It's a cleaner interface, and as you mentioned, Fred, a lot of the extra features included in the current software are really not needed (at least for me). I'll echo the want for some text formatting options (Bold, adding a link, etc.) I also couldn't see any option to attach a photo to a post, which, at least in certain threads is pretty essential. I've been doing this on my Chromebook - it almost looks like there's space for a toolbar, but I don't see anything. Perhaps this is an OS barrier - is anybody else seeing options beyond straight text?

I like that it integrates into the design of the rest of the site better than the current forum, but I'll admit that I'm not a fan of having the big sidebar on every page. On a small laptop screen, the actual space to read and reply to threads is pretty small once you take into account the sidebar and borders.

Those are my thoughts so far...
                              Eric Frisch
                              www.ericfrisch.com

Comment

Working...
                              X