This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creating a Good Post

Here's a few tips and tricks on how to "post" a great post on The Worship Community Forums. A few simple tricks in your posting will make each post easy to understand and easy on the eyes. These are not rules, and not even guidelines, but if you follow the tips and tricks your posts will be more attractive visually and in most cases easier to read and understand.
    • Break up the Post
      Nothing is more difficult to read than one extended paragraph. It's generally accepted etiquette, to "break up" your post into 2 or 3 sentence paragraphs if possible. It's easier on the eyes.
    • Use Proper Puncuation
      Capitalize correctly and use correct punctuation. Limit the use of excessive exclamation points. Don't use ALL CAPS, unless you are emphasizing a short few word passage or as a heading. Sentences should start with a capital letter.
    • Trim Quotes
      Another thing that makes posts difficult to read is unnecessary lengthy quotes. Only quote the sentence or idea that you want to respond to directly. If a reader needs to view the original post they can scroll back and find it.
    • Intersperse Your Responses with Trimmed Quotes
      If you want to respond to several ideas from a post, trim them down and then intersperse your responses in a logical order. This creates a nice, logical flow of idea and response and also makes it easier to follow from a reader's standpoint. More times than not, you should never have to quote an entire post.
    • Identify Your Subject Clearly
      Don't create a post with "HELP??!!" or "question" in the subject line. Make sure you use clarity when labeling what your post will contain. Be specific. For example, if I need help with guitar chords for a specific song, I should post "Need Chords for Specific Song".
    • Start New Threads for New Topics
      One of the most frustrating occurrences for forum readers is called thread hijacking. This happens when someone comes in and whether or not they respond to the original topic, they post something totally unrelated. If you have another question, or want to address another topic start a new thread.
    • Check Your Spelling and Grammar
      Make sure, to the best of your ability, that your grammar and spelling are good. It will make your post easier to understand and read. Use the preview function to check over your post. Nobudy likes bad speeling and grammer.
    • Use the Search Function
      If you're not sure if your topic already has a thread, please use the search function. A lot of times, a topic will already be in discussion and you might not get any responses by starting a new thread.
    • Don't Double Post
      Find the appropriate category and post your thread there. Do not post it in multiple categories. If a mod(erator) sees that you accidentaly placed it in the wrong category, they will kindly move it to the appropriate one.
    Associate Director of Worship & Media at St. Simons Community Church .He is also the content curator and editor here at The Worship Community.

** applauds **

Comment

ah, Russ .. u so sweet. You forgot to not post too many 1-liner "duh - go to my blog to see this" posts. Other than those which are auto-imported from RSS feeds on purpose, too many obvious, blatant attempts to do nothing but "gain readership" for another site will eventually get mod'd.

(I'm preaching to myself, too!)
      Fred McKinnon, Pianist/Composer/Worship Leader
      blog: www.fredmckinnon.com

Please check out my piano/instrumental music at:
      www.soundcloud.com/FredMcKinnonMusic
      www.youtube.com/c/FredMcKinnonMusic

Comment

I am guilty of this a bit as well...but i am too busy (lazy) to retype some info that would lead to a conversation here or offer input to a conversation here (expecting peeps to bounce back here to comment). But do remember and give me grace for 6 more weeks because, my hand, my hand ,my hand...ouch and it stinking hurts to type right now. Nevertheless, I shall refrain from it though my intent is not to gain readership, we're doing alright there.
        Last edited by worshiptrench; 10-29-2007, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Methinks this puppy needs a sticky.

Comment

stick away -you have mod-powers!
            Fred McKinnon, Pianist/Composer/Worship Leader
            blog: www.fredmckinnon.com

Please check out my piano/instrumental music at:
            www.soundcloud.com/FredMcKinnonMusic
            www.youtube.com/c/FredMcKinnonMusic

Comment

Sweet. I did not know that.

*STICK!!!*

Comment

Ben, you are now sooooo powerful. I bow at your editorial superpowers.

Comment

All shall bow and know that I am the Mod that taketh away the Spam of the World!

Comment

Thanks for the tip!!!

I have to say???

You Guys are a SCREEM!!!

Comment

Just a little bumpage so that this post might cross the eyes of some of our new readers.

Keep creating "Good Posts!"
                      Associate Director of Worship & Media at St. Simons Community Church .He is also the content curator and editor here at The Worship Community.

Comment

Ban on Phrases

No offense, but I think we should ban "methinks." Maybe it's just a personal thing. I had a professor in college who abused that word, and I just don't want to remember him every time I read that word here.

Comment

Haha. Wow.

Comment

Oh cool! Thanks!
                            I did not see this before...is helpful!

Comment

Bumping again, so that some of our new readers can benefit from the Good Post goodness!

Comment

Working...
                              X