Intro - Duncan McClure from Mason City, Illinois

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intro - Duncan McClure from Mason City, Illinois

Hi, my name is Duncan McClure and I am 17 years old. I am the worship leader for The Well youth ministry in Mason City, Illinois and have been on the team for around 6 years. I started out on the drums in middle school and have moved my way up to guitar and vocals. Our worship team is made of high schoolers and consists of 7 musicians. The Well is the youth ministry of Mason City Christian, which I also lead worship for every other week.

Our youth ministry focuses largely on showing the love to others that Christ shows for us, and we base everything we do off that idea. The worship is very contemporary, playing music by Jesus Culture, Hillsong United, Elevation Worship, and others.

I'm on here to basically broaden my horizons on what other worship leaders are doing around the country and to maybe get some advice from some people who have been doing it longer than I have. I'll have plenty of questions, so anyone who is willing to guide me along, it would be greatly appreciated!

Hey Duncan, from what you have posted here I do not see a problem. Are you having problems in some area? If people at your church are worshiping and you are not hearing a bunch of complaints then I would say you are doing a good job and keep it up. In that case the Holy Spirit will show you and teach you. Do you have meetings with your Pastor and if so, is he happy with what you are doing? If so, again, keep on doing it. If you feel like you want to change things up and you are not sure what to do there are a lot of books on the market dealing with various ways churches do worship or I'm sure you can search the internet and find lot of info on this subject. I recently started adding scripture into our worship. We usually do around 7 songs and I will mix a couple of scriptures into the set. I mix it up and sometimes start the worship with scripture reading and/or right before a particular song. I also have someone read it out loud, either from the congregation or someone on the worship team. This has worked well for us but it may not for you. All you can do is look at some different ideas and try it. If it works, great, and if it doesn't, don't do it anymore. That's my 2 cents.
    Last edited by Eugene Berg; 06-26-2013, 10:34 AM.

Comment

I meet with my pastor quite often, and we have a very good relationship. He gives me a lot of room to do whatever I want when it comes to how I run the worship set. I'm reading A. W. Tozer's "Purpose of Man" right now which talks about living a life of worship. I want to do something to mix it up a little bit, and reading scripture might be what I'm looking for. I'm thinking about working in two new players so that we can get 3 different teams in the mix and so we can also give a couple of people a week off every once in a while. Just looking for new ideas to make things fresh.

Comment

Working...
      X