Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bass player

Hello, and Good day.

My name is Daniel, I live in Indiana. I have been playing Bass since I was 16 I taught myself using chord charts and a picture. It actually did not take me too long to pick up.

I am just looking for some advise on gear, help with technique, learning scales, music theory, and anything else that would help me get better at becoming the best Bassist I can be!

Hey Daniel- been a bass player for 20+ years and wouldn't trade it for the world.

It's great that you want to be the best you can be. The biggest thing to keep in mind is that it's a life-long journey. There is always something new to learn. That's why I like it so much.Don't get bored with it or give up on it if you can't play like your idol.

My advice​ on gear-
    • Gear doesn't make the player, but bad gear can make you learn bad habits. Get quality gear. Don't get the bargain basement stuff, but you don't need the pro gear either. Squier, Epiphone, Peavey, Yamaha, even (gulp) Ibanez, they all make solid stuff in the intermediate range. Shop used from GC or Reverb- you can often get a good deal on good gear.
    • Buy your third amp first. If you spend money, spend it here. Get a decent Ampeg, GK, Fender, Hartke, etc. that's at least 300 watts, I prefer a 4 x 10" or 2 x 10" setup. Don't mess around with anything under 100w. it won't keep up with a band and it will sound like a cow fart when pushed hard.
    My advice on lessons/theory, etc.
    • Spend the money on lessons with a bass player that focuses on bass, not necessarily a guitar teacher that teaches bass too. Meaning, most (not all) guitar players who teach bass still think like a guitar player and not a bass player so you learn more about cool riffs and less about pockets and grooves.
    • Study people like Stu Hamm, Marcus Miller, Jaco Pastorius, Bootsy Collins, Vic Wooten, and a bunch of others who are renowned in their craft. You will learn little tricks and insights from them that you will use to form your sound and adapt to different styles of songs.
    • Play all different kinds of music- from rockabilly walking lines, to rock/blues grooves, to Jazz runs, to everything in between
    • Start hanging out and listening to drummers. They are your best friend in a band. You and the drummer working together drive a song and give the singers and other musicians the foundation to build their stuff on. Like an old guy told me once, "Their eyes will be on the star, but their booty shakes to the bass guitar". I have found that to be very true. A good groove and building the pocket really drives the bus and gets people dancing along.
    • Get out and play with people. Join a band, form a band. Even if it's a genre that isn't your favorite. You will learn more by actually playing and making music with others than you will learn anywhere else.
    • YouTube- it's a love/hate thing with me. I like it, but you have to be picky- for every good lesson, there are 10 bad ones. Seriously. 90% of the tabs/chord sheets and covers you find on YT /online are not correct. They are almost right, but miss the key nuances and details. It's frustrating to teach yourself something and have to relearn it once you find the right version.
    That's what I have so far.

Rock on, stay healthy and have fun
    Mike
    If we want to go places we haven't been, we will have to do things we haven't done.

Comment

Working...
    X