X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• waskel
    started a topic Is this thing on?

Is this thing on?

Hi, my name is John and I'm... a worship leader.
    Whew, they're right, admitting your problem is the first and hardest step.

I've been lurking for a few days, and reading a lot of threads that thankfully make me feel I'm not alone. Post after post, saying to myself, "Been there. Been there. Yep, been there too". Judging from the quality and maturity of advice and sense of family, I'm going to be spending some time here.

I've been leading worship for about 25 years, in several churches of varying denominations. Gone from being 'under the thumb' of controlling leadership to breathtakingly epic ego trips (followed of course by equally epic crashes). God has been very patient with me - I would have written me off long ago. But He perseveres; loving me, teaching me, refining me.

After a painful break with our church family of 15 years due to leadership collapse, He now has my wife of 35 years and I serving at a small community church in a tiny community on the Oregon coast. Talk about a loving God... we now get to live and serve Him in the place we've gone for our vacations for nearly our entire lives together. Pretty stinkin' cool.

I lead a small team, a couple of other singers and a keyboard player who (thankfully) is very adaptive. I lead with guitar (Ovation/Adamas is my preference), play a little piano and bass, and I'm working on drums. Musically I lean towards Matt Redman, Robin Mark, Chris Tomlin, Brian Doerksen.

Well, that's me. Look forward to getting to know you all!

Guest replied
    I am very happy to find this one, thanks for sharing

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Welcome!! I think you'll find a great home to vent and chat here.. Musically I think you'd get along really really well with my dad.. Though he's not a forum user.. Hardley a computer user..though I have gotten him to stop killing trees and use an ipad as a music book.. Big stp for a 53 year old who is very stuck in his ways!!

But welcome!! You'll love it here!
    Last edited by chrisburke; 02-25-2013, 09:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• eddymann
    replied
    Welcome bro... Thanks for sharing

Leave a comment:

• efrisch
    replied
    Welcome! Glad you're here.

Leave a comment:

• Mike on Bass
    replied
    Cool- welcome aboard.

Thanks for sharing some of your background. We all come from somewhere, and it's good you could relate to some of our experiences.

One of the best things about this community is the diversity of people. This has been a real blessing because we get to understand different perspectives.

I hope your healing process goes well. It's always hard to go through those kind of events. It's much like divorce- the emotional attachment and feeling of family gets damaged, and the healing process has to be done right to let go of the baggage, forgive, and move on.

God's grace and patience is something wonderful, isn't it? The older I get, the more I become embarrassed about the way I acted 10 years ago. It's a humbling thing.

Hope you enjoy the forums

Mike

Leave a comment:

Working...
X