Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Youth/youthful worship

Hey, I'm Rich. I'm new here. Here's some brief, random facts about me:

I am 29 years old and married to the most wonderful woman in the world. We have three amazing kids, with another on the way.

We recently moved from Atlanta, GA to Alachua (Gainesville) FL. And are volunteers and lead worshipers with our church's youth group.

We attend Christ Central Alachua.

My long term goal is to have a band that leads worship for our church's youth group, but also has a pervasive impact on the local worship 'scene'. I'd like to do a Sunday morning service once a month or so, lock-ins for youth groups in the area, maybe make guest appearances at other churches and youth groups.

Over the last 15 years, I've played in a variety of bands, mostly of the P&W ilk. I've also been a band leader, though I've not previously been a 'worship leader'.

I play guitar and dabble in backup vocals.

I think U2 is the best band in the history of man.

I love guitars, amps, effects, and the follwing folks who use them:
    U2
    Delirious?
    Future of Forestry
    Leeland
    Coldplay
    David Gilmour

What I'm here for:

1. To get a better understanding of what our worship experience should be; specificaly, should it be worship that happens to be relevant, or a relevant band that happens to be worship-centric. (And before I get flamed for even thinking about the latter, when was the last time you led teenagers in fully engaged worship?)

2. To network with other individuals who are leading worship without being the lead singer.

3. To offer my advice and musical experience to others, especially those in youth oriented ministry.

4. To find more/better opening songs that can be done by one guitarist and no band. 'Rain Down' and 'Tell the World' are great, but I need some variety.

5. To discuss with others the pros, cons, and how-to's of employing youth into a worship band.

I'd appreciate your input on my Engaging Youth in Worship thread, if you've got anything to offer! Thanks!

Nate
    Practical Worship

Please Pray For My Wife

Comment

Welcome to the WC, Rich!

Smitty
      Love ONE woman...MANY guitars!

www.davidsproblem.wordpress.com

Comment

I'll second that. Welcome to TWC.

My simple thoughts on engaging youth:

1) Engage them with sincerity and authenticity and be who you be and they will connect with you. Don't try and "be all things to all people" by being something you're not. They can smell inauthenticity a mile away.
        2) Don't lead "down" to them. Challenge them. Give them something BIG to dive in to. We all know that pizza party youth group doesn't cut it. You see all the "causes" that these young people are supporting on facebook and myspace, they want to live for something bigger than themselves.
        3) Honestly, I don't think relevancy is as big an issue, when authenticity and really caring for them is a priority. It does matter to a degree, sure, but I've seen so many kids respond to what seemed to be the most goofy and "old" folks...simply because those people took the time to really care for them. If we could bottle that....

Welcome!
        Associate Director of Worship & Media at St. Simons Community Church .He is also the content curator and editor here at The Worship Community.

Comment

Rich, it's awesome to have you here - how did you discover the TWC?
          Fred McKinnon, Pianist/Composer/Worship Leader
          blog: www.fredmckinnon.com

Please check out my piano/instrumental music at:
          www.soundcloud.com/FredMcKinnonMusic
          www.youtube.com/c/FredMcKinnonMusic

Comment

Working...
          X