Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nights of Worship

Hello folks,

I was wondering whose churches out there hosts nights of worship outside of your normal worship gatherings. I have been blessed to be joined with some fantastic musicians outside of my church and we are looking for churches in the midwest/great lakes region to host a night of worship at no direct cost to them. We are running into snags as many churches are saying that they just don't host those kinds of nights. Do your churches host these kinds of nights and when you do do you just use your own worship team or do you bring in someone from the outside? Also, if you do host these types of nights how well is it attended or received by your congregation?

Thanks for all the info.

This is something I have wanted to so as well in my area (Lawrenceville/Buford, Ga). I would like to see some of the responses and ideas others have used. What night of the week is preferred (Friday, Saturday or Sunday). One mega church in my county (Gwinnett) have these worship nights, I believe quarterly on Friday nights. If I do this I might want to do it with our praise team the first time before mixing in musicians from other churches, though I have always enjoyed playing with other musicians when the opportunity has presented itself over the years. I hope others who have hosted these events will chime in with those experiences.

Comment

We try to do about one a quarter at my church and it's really powerful.

Right now it's just our team.We don't host anything like that.

Personally, I think it's a great idea and I wish more churches would collaborate more on stuff like this.

Do you guys have any kind of promotional material/ press kit to get your name out there?
      If we want to go places we haven't been, we will have to do things we haven't done.

Comment

At my previous church, before I landed this job as a full-time worship leader, we wanted to have a regular weeknight service. We approached our church's leadership team with the idea to have an intimate service, playing "edgier" music, with our associate pastor running the show (which was great because it afforded him an opportunity to preach on a regular basis). They gave us their blessing, and off we went. We called the service "Genesis."

We worked, organized, and practiced as a band for about six months before our first service. Finally the big day arrived. It was great. We had a phenomenal worship experience, and there were close to 100 people there ... far more than we had expected.

Alas, we couldn't maintain the momentum. The competition -- baseball games, soccer games, TV shows, etc. -- was just too strong. Before long, attendance dwindled. At some services, there were as many people on the stage as there were in the congregation.

But we kept plugging away, looking for ways to make this attractive for a smaller group of worshipers. We moved into a smaller room than our main worship center, used sofas and easy chairs instead of pews and folding chairs, had a dinner beforehand, and made it really casual and intimate. The associate pastor would have a once-a-month "Ask the Pastor" session instead of a sermon, where the congregation could ask him anything they wanted about faith. He also talked about difficult topics that you might not normally see in church -- sex before marriage, drugs, alcohol, suicide, and other issues that would tend to turn off the casual Sunday worshiper. We had intimate Holy Communion, where we would form a circle around the table and pray together and partake. I even got to preach a few times. Those who attended regularly were really, really loyal. Some attended Genesis INSTEAD of Sunday worship. Honestly, I loved how the service evolved.

Finally, the associated pastor, who was an Army Reserve chaplain, got called to active duty in Iraq. With no pastoral leadership, we had no advocate. Our senior pastor only saw the small numbers and declared that it wasn't working. We were finally forced to shut it down after 18 months of operation. It was a sad day.

I guess the point of all this is that it can really be worth it if you can get true buy-in and support from your church's leadership, and if you have a dedicated team of worship leaders. Know your demographic ... who are you trying to attract? Be prepared for small crowds. Be sure you have a solid pastoral advocate. And don't just do "Sunday on Thursday." Make it different.

Biggest thing ... have your ducks in a row before you ever approach leadership. Know exactly what you want to do, what you're trying to accomplish, and who you're doing it for.

Be blessed!
        But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
        Romans 5:8

Comment

We do some sort of worship night 3-4 times a year. Typically they are led by members of our own team but we have brought in outside artists (Gungor) and we've done a community night as well where 10 leaders from 5 churches made up the core of the band and a few extra vocalists sang on a few songs. They all produce different results and I like aspects of all of them.

We've done Friday and Sunday nights, Sundays definitely work better for us attendance wise, just less competing for time then. We do not have a set time for recurrence. Our worship leader and I basically pick dates on our calendar that work best for us and we go from there.
          Travis Paulding,
          Production & Technology Director, St. Simons Community Church
          www.sscommunitychurch.com
          twitter.com/tpaulding

Comment

Working...
          X