Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am done with church music as it exists in today's church

Moved to correct forum.
    Last edited by Tubeamps; 04-27-2018, 05:03 AM.

Well, based on the one-liner sentence, I can appreciate the sense of frustration. What's rubbing you the wrong way?
    If we want to go places we haven't been, we will have to do things we haven't done.

Comment

Wrote out a long post & then decided against putting it up. Basically, it's the same old sausage machine grip. Everyone thinks they need worship music, has to be 3 song opener even though you can see older people don't know songs & better to have one good song or hymn, than 3 forgettable whoa-whoa-yeah-yeahs, etc. etc.

When I grew up in church, we had a music director, who was a professional musician & ordained minister. He knew music theory, how to coach people on vocal techniques, etc. He was what we called a "square guy" & a little stiff, but he knew how to build a team & skills & he created a lot of church musicians out of the high school kids in that church. He was also a good mentor in growing up to be a mature Christian. Now you have to have a "worship leader" who is often not trained in music or handling people, and this person has to have some charisma (and fit into skinny jeans.) Bring out the pitchy singers & 3 chord cowboys. There's nothing wrong with starting where you are, but without someone to say, hey, you need to learn how to read single lines for your instrument, play the correct chords or ask for substitution, sing with correct pitch, & don't try harmonies on the fly - you may or may not get better as a group.

And what is wrong with listening to presented music? Are people so ADD they can't listen to a song or 2 by a gifted person who excels at their gift? It's like when you tried to bring a drum kit into church in the 60s & people said, whoa there now, huckleberry. Now we got drum kits but same kind of rigid thinking.

This situation is aggravated by some personnel issues where people on leadership team, with musician relatives, have impact on team dynamics through forcing team structure.

I haven't said anything about the spiritual dimension. Of course we should support pastor's vision. I tried to talk to my pastor & relate it to his preaching - if he had to study Greek & Hebrew & theology & be an associate pastor for years before striking out on a plant, does he expect lay people to be able to give a coherent sermon? Why have ordained vs lay designation? Of course, no, it doesn't work. It's not a one to one analogy to music, but you either accept what it is & you use the people who show up & volunteer & not complain about the music not being very good, or you realize you need professional leadership & it doesn't involve skinny jeans & someone who knows 3 chords and looks cool & hip. Turning people down in the mix is not a solution. His view was that he God gave us these X people - it's a plant - & we should use them. I agree in general, but I think some of this was related to leadership-relative thing.

So nothing unusual. I'm just done because I realized it's a structural issue for me. You don't take a bunch of kids & give them horns in 6th grade & send them an mp3 & say, hey learn this song for the pep rally next week. You don't pick your band teacher because they blow a mean horn & have a soul patch.
      Last edited by Tubeamps; 05-11-2018, 06:35 PM.

Comment

Tubeamps, I hear what you're saying. And I've been "done" for a while but for different reasons. I've found that there's a lot of different types of "today's church" still around, and some work better than others.

I can say I'm mostly happy with our current church worship, done by a single, experienced, but not vocally gifted, individual.

He loves the Lord, lives a great testimony, and mixes a variety of songs into the mix, under the Pastor's direction.

Yeah, he often wears skinny jeans, but he's not a 3-chorder, in fact, not a bad guitarist. His vocals get to me once in a while, but that's ok. The balance is there,
        and the focus on leading the congregation into worship, not entertainment.

On the other hand, I do love to develop worship teams, and kinda hoped ou r church would do so. However, doing so without someone like your old music director, is fraughtwith lots of challenges, personality/musical/team dynamics all involved.

And needs lots of prayer!

I truly believe it all begins with the Pastor, who needs a proper vision for "worship" which includes the totality of worship, not just the music.
        Without that, it's boxing against the wind. You'll never see any true development.

So, from my keyboard, it seems like it's more accurate to say you are done with *your church's* music, as there exists "out there", other places with a balanced and more directed approach you outlined in the beginning of your post.
        Last edited by flyin; 05-15-2018, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Both of you have some valid points and I get where you're coming from, but I think you're exaggerating a bit. I'm all for mixing things up a little, every once in a while.

Comment

I agree with a lot of what you are saying. I have been on a couple of "worship teams" and the thing that gets to me is that we have stopped being lead worshipers and have focused on being lead performers during a time for worship. Where I agree that we should always be bringing our best to God I believe the focus has become in some instances "are you good enough to be on our worship team?" The HEART of the worshiper comes in a very distant second. I have been on teams where individuals were not considered or were asked to step down because the new (yes skinny jeans) leader was looking to present a specific "LOOK" to the worship team. The fact that some people had more years of experience on that team than the new leader didn't matter. They didn't present the right look. Their heart wasn't even considered. Then there is the we can cut an album concept...with the idea that we can be the next Hillsong, elevation, bethel et al... Personally these bands (and some others like them) seem to focus their music inward not upward. It has become more of what sells and not necessarily what reaches. That is a result of the INDUSTRY of christian music that has become a focus on profit and I believe God takes a second if not a back seat altogether. In bands (not going to call them teams here) like these there is no room for the "Least of these". (Matthew 25:40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’). I'm speaking here of the disability community that have a HUGE HEART for worshiping the Lord but consistently are relegated to "..."well we can stick them in a chorus" or worse "we can't put them on the platform because well...we can't they lack the talent". It boggles my mind how so many people in so many churches will spout CONSTANTLY "God doesn't call the equipped He Equips the Called." EXCEPT FOR THE WORSHIP TEAMS...THAT ministry is the exception to the rule. But I don't find that in Matthew 25:40 so if we EXCLUDE the least of these are we also EXCLUDING God? I would say yes. By and large we have either become so full of ourselves or become so focused on the PRODUCT that we forget or neglect the PURPOSE. For those who are thinking how out of touch I am maybe try thinking of it this way. God is a parent to all of us. Our worship is to be focused at, to, and FOR HIM. How each of us sounds vocally or instrumentally is absolutely no surprise to HIM. So if that person hits the wrong chord, or finds and sings that 13th note during a worship set but does it with a full heart for the one who they are singing and playing for and worshiping to do you really believe God is up there saying that stunk? I don't He, as any FATHER is enjoying the splendor of His child's work. It is then the function of the team leader to assist those on the team in becoming better vocalists and musicians. On the flip side if a worship band is technically perfect in every aspect but their hearts are so focused on the music that the words are just words and God is only a word on the page I submit that they fail to enter the narrow door.

"Then Jesus went through the towns and villages, teaching as he made his way to Jerusalem. Someone asked him, “Lord, are only a few people going to be saved?”
            He said to them, “Make every effort to enter through the narrow door, because many, I tell you, will try to enter and will not be able to. Once the owner of the house gets up and closes the door, you will stand outside knocking and pleading, ‘Sir, open the door for us.’
            “But he will answer, ‘I don’t know you or where you come from.’
            “Then you will say, ‘We ate and drank with you, and you taught in our streets.’
            “But he will reply, ‘I don’t know you or where you come from. Away from me, all you evildoers!’
            “There will be weeping there, and gnashing of teeth, when you see Abraham, Isaac and Jacob and all the prophets in the kingdom of God, but you yourselves thrown out. 29 People will come from east and west and north and south, and will take their places at the feast in the kingdom of God. Indeed there are those who are last who will be first, and first who will be last.” Luke 13:22-30

Comment

Working...
            X