Teaching Without Disrupting Flow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teaching Without Disrupting Flow

This is a continuation of "History of Modern Christian Music.". That thread had weaved in different areas, one of which making the point that the average congregant "has a 5th grade reading level" and can't be bothered to note the differences in Hebraic grammar.

Just now, I came across a solution that some here may embrace. But first...

Did you know "Clarence" was the name of the angel in "It's A Wonderful Life"?

In 2009, Neimun Marcus was selling a motorized vehicle shaped like a cupcake, going for $25,000.

The movie "Holiday Inn" takes place in Connecticut.

Why am I sharing this w you, on this forum? Because I'm texting this in front of my TV, where the Christmas radio channel is playing. While the music is playing, there's a "popup video" blurb that displays some trivia associated w the season.

Does your worship band have instrumentals, or blocks of time where no singing is happening?

Why not incorporate some relevant info to the worship on a Powerpoint slide?

Because, 5th grade education notwithstanding, ours is the most media-heavy society ever existed. People relay innocent bits of trivia all the time. Why not share tiny pearls of wisdom during the non-singing music portions of the service?

Years ago I played "Jolly Old St Nicholas" at a Christian coffeehouse. Inbetween the verses, I displayed biographical information on the fourth century Saint, what he was known for, and how thru the years how "Santa Claus" came to replace this great Christian. It was enlightening AND entertaining.

It won't work for everybody, but consider it ...
    Nick Alexander
    Host, The Prayer Meeting Podcast
    Worship that is Contemporary, Traditional, Charismatic, Contemplative, Spontaneous, based on the Church calendar, play it whenever you want.
    Find out what Nick Alexander can do for your conference, retreat or workshop.

For clarity, I didn't say people had a 5th grade education, just that people generally struggle with proper English, let alone, Hebrew. One of the biggest demonstrations of this is social media-it's riddled with poor writing.

Regardless, that is a good idea- like MTV pop-up video, but with purpose. When I have the Christian music channel on TV, they do a similar thing where they pop up information about the song or artist.

Of course, the catch-all argument of 'distraction' would arise. Like you say, it wouldn't work for everyone. But it could work real well as a pre-service montage- playing canned music with a correlating slideshow with the wisdom nuggets.
    If we want to go places we haven't been, we will have to do things we haven't done.

Comment

What a great idea. You are so right about media. Let's start using it for something that has some value as well as being entertaining. Nice one, Mike!!!

Comment

Great idea, Nick!! It may get people to read the screen since they avoid it most of the time because of all the announcements. :-)

Does anyone already do this??
        Melanie Siewert, Christ's Servant
        BLOG: http://www.worshipvanguard.blogspot.com

Comment

Interesting.. Though my understanding of, for example, a solo during a song, is to give us time to reflect on the lyrics we just sang.. For the last 5 years in our youth culture seminars, have the speakers and pastors not been complaining about how we are all inundated with information 24/7... Shouldn't church be a place that we come where we have a chance to just relax, and not be bombarded with information non-stop? I mean, I get what you're saying.. But like I said, my understanding of solos in musical least the reason I always did them, was to give people a chance to close their eyes, and reflect on what they just sang.. Now you're suggesting lets flash more info at them like pop-up video?

What happened to the reverence? I'm not trying to squash your idea.. Maybe there is a place for it.. And someone can chime in and shut me up if I'm wrong on this one.. But when I first read it, I just thought to myself, when people come to church, I want to give them a moment to get away from all the flashy advertising instant advertising they constantly get.

Maybe I'm wrong?

Comment

Good point, Chris. I was thinking more along the lines of BEFORE the service as people are coming in. Once the service starts, that when the focus should shift to worshiping the Father through song, spoken word, reflection time, etc. I agree, the local church should be a place of REST. I'm currently doing a study on this.
            Melanie Siewert, Christ's Servant
            BLOG: http://www.worshipvanguard.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by WorshipVanguard View Post
              Good point, Chris. I was thinking more along the lines of BEFORE the service as people are coming in. Once the service starts, that when the focus should shift to worshiping the Father through song, spoken word, reflection time, etc. I agree, the local church should be a place of REST. I'm currently doing a study on this.
              Yes for sure.. That would be fine.. We usually have announcements rolling before the service

Comment

Working...
              X