No announcement yet.

Tatoo parlor inside a church...ummm...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tatoo parlor inside a church...ummm...

http://www.wral.com/news/strange/story/10570834/

As difficult as this is for me to say, the future of the church in America is not in the comfortable, middle class churches from the past. America is no longer a "Christian" nation, as it was in the past, and in some ways that is a good thing.

There has been very little evangelism done in America in my lifetime, compared to what is taking place in non-Christian countries; our churches are closing at the rate of 7000 per year, nearly double the rate of new church starts; the church as we have known it has played into Satan's scheme very well: we isolate ourselves in our magnificent edifices and do our spiritual thing, and let the world outside continue undisturbed toward judgment.

But in the countries where there is no freedom of religion, there is a very strong, vibrant, growing Church arising, though in most cases, it is not readily visible. And this underground Church uses whatever they have and can use to do God's work. These churches don't look like ours, they are shaped by the pressures of the culture that surrounds them.

So it may take some very unconventional things like Christian tattoo parlors and who knows what else, to do the work of building God's kingdom in post-Christian America. If God can use hip-hop and rap to build his kingdom, can he not also use tattoos?

Frankly, the idea of a tattoo parlor in a church makes me shudder. So does the thought of using hip-hop and rap in worship. But it isn't about my likes or dislikes. It is about building God's kingdom in this mission field we call America.
    Tom

Comment

One thing that surprised me at a church was seeing one that has a Subway in it. Yep, no kidding. True Bethel Baptist Church in Buffalo New York opened up the Subway franchise in their east location (907 E. Ferry Street). Subway store # 31255,

Comment

Mixed feelings...

Mixed feelings on this one...

I agree it is moraly nuetral, like a Subway or anything else. They aren't sinning, so what does it matter?

My other feeling on this is when Jesus threw the money changers out of the temple, do we get the sense from this that "business" in the church is bad?

On another note, church SHOULD be uncomfortable and set apart from the world. Church itself is FOR believers, we are to bring Christ TO the world.

I don't know the answer, just my first reactions.
        Lov'n Jesus

Comment

i have mixed reactions too.

If I remember right, Jesus threw the money changers out of the temple because they were profiting from the offerings. They were cheating people.

I did notice that the tattoo parlor is closed on Sunday, when the church has services, i think.

Comment

As far as Jesus throwing money changers out of the temple, my take on that is that it was more to do with a lucrative business with a captive customer base (a.k.a highway robbery) relating to travelers buying sacrificial items.

On the business aspect, what makes a tattoo parlor different from the little cafes that seem to have popped up in churches in the last 10 years? Doing business inside a church isn't unheard of. Besides, a lot broader clientele is getting ink nowadays.

As far as uncomfortable, there is uncomfortable and then there is intimidating. As someone who was on that side of the fence, I can attest to the fact that the church in general has a real issue with haughtiness and snobbery. Too many places are like a country club for Christians. It's like the Casting Crowns song "If We are the Body"- "A traveler is far away from home/ He sheds his coat and quietly sinks into the back row/ The weight of their judgmental glances/ Tells him that his chances are better out on the road "

There is a lot of truth in that. I have experienced that first hand. I know what it's like to walk into a church and looked at like you need to be watched like a hawk. So I understand the point of church being intimidating.

One thing I always found interesting is that America puts so much emphasis on the 'church' as contained inside 4 walls, but the most profound impact Jesus had in His ministry was nowhere near a synagogue. It was pretty much the same way in acts- people on the road, in houses, beggars at gates, and other places is where the lion's share of recorded stuff happened. Even though there was preaching and teaching done in the synagogues, it appears a lot more was done outside the walls of the synagogue.

The punch line is that if its fruit is genuine, it will last. If not, it'll be another flash in the pan of a ministry that was short lived.
            If we want to go places we haven't been, we will have to do things we haven't done.

Comment

I agree with most of what is being said. I don't see how adding a tattoo parlor helps make it less intimidating. The church I attend has TONS of very tattoed individuals, including pastors, and doesn't seem any different than any other church in regards to the way it "looks" from a building standpoint. IMO, the people make it intimidating. I LOVE that song and agree 100% with your application of it in this context. But that is a bit around my point I guess.

Regarding coffee shops and other things popping up in the church buildings, as I stated above, I wouldn't consider the tattoo parlor o be any different. I understand the intent of the money changers incident, the Bible is very clear on that. It does though show a bit of a insight though into the heart of God that we should consider more than anything... and what that might be. It is certainly a bit of a stretch to try and pullmore out of that text, but it is worth looking and praying about at is all I am saying.

Again, I am not throwing stones, I am just bringing up the questions to think about. The tattoo part doesn't bother me, I'd say the same thing about any business being run in the physical church. I'd rather see a church operate a coffee station and book store based on cost only to keep it going, that would be my personal preference based on my understanding of what God's heart is.
              Lov'n Jesus

Comment

This rubs me the wrong way a little bit. As others have mentioned, there's no real difference between this and having a coffeeshop, bookstore, etc. in your church, and I certainly don't have a problem with the business itself. Lots of folks with tattoos in our church, including myself. That said, the whole coffeeshop, bookstore, etc. in the church idea has always rubbed me the wrong way too.

My issue is something that Mike alluded to a little bit - at what point did we decide that the best way to get new folks into our churches was to start opening other businesses in them? The example that I see set forward in the New Testament by Jesus & His disciples is one of going out, not drawing in. The physical meeting place that had been so important in the centuries before Christ was seriously deemphasized, and the focus was shifted to community and communication. Now we seem to be in a time when we've reversed those ideas again. The whole idea of attractional programming & worship styles has never really made any sense to me for that reason, and neither does this. At some point the church is going to have to realize that we severely limit our ability to make disciples by sitting in our buildings and waiting for them, no matter what may be contained in those buildings.

So is there anything technically wrong with it? Probably not. This church may be doing other great evangelistic work in their community, and this may feed into that. If that's the case, awesome. If not, it strikes me as a little misguided at best, and a publicity stunt at worst.
                Eric Frisch
                www.ericfrisch.com

Comment

My guess is, that as with any news story, there is more than meets the eye here. Our family ministers pastor saw this article and went to the guys website/blog, he was very impressed with what he read.

Comment

Eric is heading in the right direction. We are too attached to the buildings we sit in. The mission we were given was to "Go OUT and make disciples" not "Build something to attract people to us". There is this line that we walk on that follows the "in the world but not of the world mentality" that I believe we often step over. In our attempts to win people to Christ, we give them idols to worship. We believe it our function to do more or be more than the messengers. I do not hink it is wrong to have hospitality in our churches but it is better to have hospitality without. It would be much stronger a witness for us to hold church in a tattoo parlor on Sunday than for us to build a tattoo parlor in our church. It is a greater witness that Christ went to the lepers and the sick and those that society spit on than bring them to temple. They would never have gone. We need to look at what the 'Starbuck's' concept is to non-believer and how our putting it in our church sends a message. Why not simply take someone to Starbucks and witness to them. It would be a far greater witness and would require more of your heart and less building.

If we are to be Christ-like in our manner and if we are to work toward His perfection in how we deal with people, then are we not going in the wrong direction by surrounding ourselves with bricks and mortar and making ourselves les mobile and less approachable? Would Christ anchor Himself to a large building with all the fixin's or would he be found in the poor quarter of town easing the suffering of those there?

Just a thought...

Don

Comment

Don, you just said exactly what's been on my mind about this, but with far greater eloquence & clarity than I could have. Thanks.
                      Eric Frisch
                      www.ericfrisch.com

Comment

Avid over and owner of tattoos.. I've got 3... But I don't know that I'd want a tattoo shop in my church... But who knows, it could be a great way to reach out.. I think I'd feel better about it if maybe thy owned a tattoo shop, where they held bible studies or something

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Let us continue to look at the "be all things to all people" for a moment. Solomon, with all his wisdom, did not not comprehend the reasoning behind God's command to not intermix with the world around him. It was not because the world did not have wonders in it that Israel could have enjoyed, it was because there was a price to mixing with those cultures and Solomon learned that the hard way.

Churches are using shopping mall mentality in order to 'win' people to Christ. The question begs "are these people coming to Christ or the atmospheres we have created?" Are we creating idols for people to cling to? Do we really believe that we win people to Christ and thathe Holy Spirit is out of a job? Is it the atmosphere that needs to change in our churches or our heart attitudes? Does God want us to be an inward looking body or outward?

When Israel began worshipping Ba'al, they did so on the premise of atmosphere. Outside influence brought in an idol that represented fertility and good crops. Israel broke covenant with God and began dual worship. I bring this up because we are suppose to stand apart as a beacon of light for the world in darkness. If we decide to enter the dark, we should do so as light not as the dark. Bringing in the world into God's house is not the answer. Bringing God into the world is. It becomes a battle of perception. A church that begins to look like a strip mall might believe hey are reaching out, but they actually appear more like selling out to the world. That same church placing their efforts to improve the community immediately around them and beyond, would make a far greater splash in bringing God's love to people. It might not be as glamorous, but it does seem more Christ-like for some reason. What do you think?

P.S. I am not stating that we are worshipping Ba'al. I brought this up as an example.

Don

Comment

Don... LOVE IT! As efrisch stated, you said much more eloquently what I wanted to say.

While it isn't necessarily "wrong," I see it as not optimally what God wanted as youhave stated.
                            Lov'n Jesus

Comment

Working...
                            X