Better Than a Hallelujah

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better Than a Hallelujah

What do you think of Amy Grant's current song, Better Than a Hallelujah?

Is she on target with her words, or off-base?

Tom
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lD_pCr_Xrnc

Eh. Just a mild rant against phoney, plastic, surface-level, "happy happy" worship.
    The use of the word "sometimes" in the chorus prevents it from being a blanket statement against everybody (which would be over the line).

Alex
    ...a man of few words, all carefully chosen (hopefully)

Comment

I like it- she is directly on target.

I think of scriptures like the woman who gave her last $10 in the offering being more valuable than the rich giving their leftovers, and how it's not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. Also the phrase that "you praise me with your lips but your hearts are far from me" comes to mind.

I agree that God will receive an honest cry from a sinner or an honest plea for help from the righteous quicker than a religious and hollow 'Hallelujah'.

I am glad for songs like this that make people think a bit. It's surely going to make some jump up and condemn it, but the message is a good one.
      If we want to go places we haven't been, we will have to do things we haven't done.

Comment

She didn't write it, and I don't like it.
        Maybe it makes her feel better about herself.

---
        I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=39.831239,-75.042007

Comment

I do not like the lyrics. I would be interested in talking with the person that penned them to find out what their intent is for their meaning. They way I see it, it is not scriptural and that is what I judge a song on first and foremost; are the lyrics scriptural.

Just my thoughts.

Comment

LOVE the song. LOVE the music that goes with it. Easy to play on guitar too. We use two guitars on it. A jazz style play and rhythm acoustic. It connects with many people on many levels. We have used it in service and its the one song out of many that will always have someone come up to us and say " i love that song you did. It touched me today" or "I needed to hear that today." Scriptural? Well no, it doesn't quote bible paragraphs. Heart felt? Yes. Make you feel? Yes. Make you think a little bit? Yes. Make you think about God? Yes. Louis? Make her feel better about herself? I don't know where that angle is coming from. Would you care to elaborate more? If anything it makes others feel better about any certain situation they may be facing at this exact moment in time. God does love a lullaby doesn't he? He cares when we suffer. Right? God loves a soldiers plea not to let him die. We pour out our miseries, God just hears a melody, beautiful the mess we are honest cries from breaking hearts, are better than a hallelujah sometimes.
            I like it. It makes me think about scripture at a different level. We don't really know if-taken literally, if God loves our lulabies more then he loves our praises of Hallelujah. But what I think the writer is saying, is that When we are sharing our miseries with HIM he loves it more than a praies of hallelujah because we are calling on him during our hardships.
            mike
            I didn't mean to be inaccurate, but I wasn't trying to be precise.

Comment

My problems with the song are more about the singer actually. The song itself is obtuse enough that it doesn't really say anything definitive to me in a positive or negative way, so by itself I can't say it's a song I would tend to like as a worship song—as a CCM song, I'd just say politely "no thank you." to it.

I have personal reasons for not liking the singer which I would rather not post about publicly.

Overall, to me it is yet another "the church has it all wrong" message which I grow so tired of hearing, whether it be from the latest book, artist or other Christian guru... so much time and effort is spent on tearing down the church and cozying up to the world.

If the sentiment of the song is that God hears our cries and is there for us through difficult times, fine, that's an ok message. But why the "better than a Hallelujah?" Are we not called to praise Him in all things, all circumstances?

Comment

I do and I don't. I do because I do think that we need to learn to just be honest with God, and instead of putting on a false face and "praising" him, need to just get on our faces and cry out to him. I don't cause it kind of makes it sound like God likes it when we are sad.

I prefer Laura Story's song Blessings, it seems to be a bit more on target.

Oh, and I have some personal issues with the singer as well.
                Last edited by TruePraise; 01-05-2012, 11:43 PM.

Comment

Considering "Hallelujah" means "Praise Yah(weh)", Amy Grant sounds like she's coming from the presumption that people say Hallelujah to cover or deflect their real sadness. I think that puts baggage on the word that shouldn't be there. It assumes that the listener would or should identify with trying to hide behind sadness with false Hallelujahs. Some people might do that, but if they do, they shouldn't be coached to avoid the term. Rather, they should be encouraged to learn the reason why the Psalmists praise God in the midst of suffering. It is not hypocritical to refuse to be defeated by suffering but to rejoice as instructed by Scripture.

In suffering and any test of faith, we are to rejoice because our faith is being refined like gold. We are being tested so that we can identify where our real hope is and to grow to behold and know the utter supremacy of Jesus Christ that drowns out anything negative that could ever happen in this world. We need to be transformed in our thinking so that we count everything as loss compared to the surpassing knowledge of Christ. Yes, we cry and yes, Jesus cries with us, but we need to be repeatedly reminded that He is in control and that that brief moment of grief should be followed by hope that springs forth shouts of Hallelujah.

Many Christian artists write songs that are "meta-faith". They show evidence of some faith, but not great faith. I don't prefer songs like that. The disciples were never rebuked by Jesus for having "no faith," but having "little faith". We need constant reminders to press on towards great faith, not encouragements to stay where we are in our little faith.

Comment

Do you ever read something and days later, still can't get it out of your head? I read this post and all the replies and almost felt guilty for having incorporated this song, not as a congregational worship but as a special, on several occasions. As I heard this song on the radio again yesterday, I felt compelled to lay out my thoughts as well. Again, I respect what everyone gets out of a song or the blessings they receive from it. Here's how the song hits me.

From the first time I heard it, I never thought of it as saying that a mother crying through a lullaby was inherently better than a hallelujah. Instead, I feel like this song reminds us that we shouldn't just praise and worship God when things are perfect and hunky dory, but we have to praise and worship God when your baby won't sleep for more than an hour straight (been there), when alcohol is running your life (affected by people been there), and when a soldier is praying not to let him die (again, affected by my dad being there). The song reminds me to cry out to God not only my "hallelujah's!", but also my "God, I am at the bottom of a pit I can't get out of and I don't know what else to do but cry out to you!" 's.

So we have used this song on several occasions, and it is received well as a special. I haven't had any complaints (and believe me - if they had them, they would share), and we asked our pastor if it was okay to use. It may not work for everyone, but it does work for us! Thank you to all for making me THINK about someone. It's great for my spiritual growth to see things from all possible sides. God bless.

Comment

@Jenniferlassiter,
                      everything you said: same here.

mc
                      I didn't mean to be inaccurate, but I wasn't trying to be precise.

Comment

At first the lyrics bothered me, but after some thought I came to a conclusion similar to Jennifer. God does want our lamentations and our wailings as much as he does our "hallelujahs". But "better than a hallelujah"? Not sure about that. I guess that was the core of what bugged me...assuming what God is thinking. But it's not a huge issue for me-I do like the sentiment and the musicality of the song.

PS Jennifer-LOVE your pic!
                        All that hath life and breath, praise ye the Lord!
                        In His Name,
                        Kim

http://soundcloud.com/inhisname

Comment

I like this song. From my perspective, too many people in Church worship the ritual, not our Creator, and not with the love and passion that we were meant to have. How many of us have gone through the motions, but not truly worshiped? I'll be the first to raise my hand. On any given day, at any given time, there are countless people who suffer through life's issues, and are far closer to God in their suffering that any of us are on those blessed Sunday mornings. I don't see this as a critical song, but a practical and honest statement of human nature, and of the never ending limitless capacity of God to love us all. I see the people depicted in the song as worshiping in spirit and truth. We should all be so blessed.

Dave

Comment

It's a good song and spot on. Though some here see it as yet another "make everything happy" song, as others have shown that clearly is not the intent at all. I really don't like calling artist out for being fake, it relaly bothers me that we would divide ourselves not just over petty doctrinal issues but over what someone might not have 100% correct. we're human, we have issues... I got plenty.

The fact is though that David lamented in his Psalms non-stop, and it was to the joy of the Lord. We like songs that say "We cry out" and others, but we don't like the wording that God enjoys it sometimes because it is real emotion and focus on God?

Look, any song is going to have an angle. That angle by itself gives a song a focus. Because it is a song and not a book, it cannot simply address every concern theologically people might have. Just like any Pslam out of context does not address every questions that arise from it. A song by itself out of context is no different... we should not thing of songs and perfectly theologically correct within the walls of it music, but rather in the context of the grand message. This song reflects a portion of the context of theological truths of God, just like any individual verse in the Bible or Psalm.

We should not overly critisize every song because it doesn't come with it an attached '*' one can reference a small booklet on the full contextual reasoning behind the song. We seem to want to divide rather than come together much too often.
                            Lov'n Jesus

Comment

I've got no problem with either, it's a song, if you think it's a worship song then I would question your ability to pick worship songs. As far as the artist is concerned, she has made her mistakes, but haven't we all? She is still an artist that loves Jesus and last I checked he loves her too. An artist does't stop being an artist just because they fail from time to time or there would be no one left to worship Jesus. I think there is such things as redemption, forgiveness and restoration.

Comment

Working...
                              X