Banned IP addresses?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Banned IP addresses?

Hey everyone! I have a favor to ask. Recently, I joined another worship site so I could gain additional feedback for my songwriting. I posted my TWC songwriting links on Worship Teams - Worship Team Resources (based in the UK). Another songwriter clicked on the links to help, and she got an error message saying her IP address was banned from seeing the site. Does this issue sound familiar to anyone? I'm simply troubleshooting to rule things out. Thanks for your help.

Need Songwriting Feedback - Worship Teams
    Melanie Siewert, Christ's Servant
    BLOG: http://www.worshipvanguard.blogspot.com

You'd need one of the forum administrators to look into it more, but it looks like the ban is done here.

Home consumers won't have their own permanent IP address; every time you connect to the internet, your service provider will assign you a new one from the block of IP addresses they 'own'. If she's like me and has a router and cable modem that are 'always connected', you'll still get a new IP address whenever the cable modem shuts off (i.e. power failure, accidentally unplugging it). Or, her modem may be configured to disconnect after some time without any Internet activity.

As for the ban, it probably means that someone, using that same IP address previously, spammed the forum or something and the administrators banned that person by IP address. You'll probably have to get the IP address from her and let one of the forum admins know, so they can either undo the ban or try and ban instead by username or something.

Comment

Mike,
      The person in question is not that computer savvy. What instructions shall I give to find the IP address? Thanks.

Comment

The forum software doesn't mention the IP address when they try to connect?

If they're running Windows:

Start -> run, type in 'cmd' and enter. In the console window that opens, type 'ipconfig /all' and press enter. There may be more than one IP address, depending on how their computer's set up; report them all.

If they're running Mac:

Use Finder to open the applications folder, then Utilities, then terminal. When the terminal window opens, and the prompt appears, type ifconfig <ret>. The IP addresses will appear on the lines that start with "inet". Again, there could be more than one.

This will only really be useful if they connect directly to the Internet and aren't going through a router. If they are, the IP address that Windows or Mac reports would be one that's reserved for internal networks (probably 192.168.x.y) which is useless; they'd have to know how to get the real outward-facing IP address from their router, which gets much more complicated since they'd have to know how to log into their router and how to poke around in the router settings to see which IP address is in use.

Comment

To Determine External IP Address

You can use a free service.. just open your web browser and go to:

What Is My IP Address - Shows Your IP Address

-Brian

Comment

Hey,
            Actually, if they got the banned page ... it gives specific instructions - it says that if you are a legit person, to simply contact us with your desired userID and password.

Unfortunately, we had to block large ranges of IPs in Europe due to horrific spam issues ...

Wish there was a better way - would you rather those people be inconvenienced, and have to manually email us to request a userID/password, or dig through a dozen threads of spam per day ...

Please, please contact your friend and have them email us and we'll get them setup.
            Fred McKinnon, Pianist/Composer/Worship Leader
            blog: www.fredmckinnon.com

Please check out my piano/instrumental music at:
            www.soundcloud.com/FredMcKinnonMusic
            www.youtube.com/c/FredMcKinnonMusic

Comment

Fred,

Thanks for addressing this one..

-Brian

Comment

Thanks, Fred. What contact info shall I give her? Is the contact info provided on the banned page?

Thanks for addressing this.

Comment

yes, it should be - or click the "contact" links on the website, or email admin @ theworshipcommunity.com.
                  Fred McKinnon, Pianist/Composer/Worship Leader
                  blog: www.fredmckinnon.com

Please check out my piano/instrumental music at:
                  www.soundcloud.com/FredMcKinnonMusic
                  www.youtube.com/c/FredMcKinnonMusic

Comment

Problem resolved! Thanks a mil !!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X