Healer - Michael Guglielmucci is a total fraud

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Healer - Michael Guglielmucci is a total fraud

Alright. Here we go again. Check the article here - http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/s...006301,00.html

I'm not in the mood to hear the defenders tell me how this is all about God not sharing His glory with another and how the anointing of a song continues despite the fallenness of the author. To be honest I don't care about that much right now.

I'm pissed that this has happened again. After the Todd Bentley circus that erupted this week I am more convinced than ever that our church celebrity culture must die and die quickly! How could we let it get this far??

How could NOBODY have verified this story?? There were no doctors? No medical records? Nobody visited him at the hospital during treatments?

The blog and twitter fire has already started on this. I think the fallout will last a while. It will be interesting to see how Hillsong handles this one after using Mike and his story to sell boatloads of CD's & DVD's.

So what do you think?

There are days I am jokingly called by my staff "the robot" or some other term because I tend to follow the Puritans line of biblical rationality more than jumping on the experience bandwagon. I grew up in a weird situation. A mainline UMC church that had charismatic experiences. Now I would consider myself neo-reformed. There are sometimes huge abuses in the charismatic movement (like other movements have their faults) for the sake of "the experience." (ex. Todd Bentley) I recently had a WL in my office from a large church who was weeping because he said he was:

1. exhausted from the pressure to create ever deepening experiences.
    2. and his words, "tired of falling out on the floor when nothing was happening"

Experiences are nice. But they are not the bread and butter of our faith. The historical truth of the Cross and Resurrection are the linchpin. I saddens me that people are so desperate for an experience, they'll let down any filters. Yes, I might be accused of being a bit of a biblical rationalist, but so be it. Steady and even keel is my goal, even if that means i need to be at times a bit skeptical. Can God still use the song? Probably, Maybe, or it might be so sullied it carries to much "behind the song baggage." Regardless, my faith isn't tied to Guglielmucci's story one bit, but to the truth of the Cross and Resurrection.

Comment

Yeah I'm really confused how his own family could have been lied to. Wouldn't his wife goto the doctor's with him? I mean when your spouse says they are dying of cancer, you typically go together to doctor's offices and all. I'm puzzled on that.

I am blown away that Hillsong would give this guy the biggest stage they have without doing any character checks on this guy. It's really sad. We have to value character above gifting. I'm certainly praying for them but this situation is really frustrating.

Comment

The Message remains the same

I think the main thing is that Our God remains as the Healer of the broken

Hebrews 13:8
        Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.

and the song while advertised through deception is a profound declaration of who God is and remains a gift of ministry/healing to those who are wounded both spiritually and physically.

James 1:16-17

Don't be deceived, my dear brothers. Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows

It is sad that Michael was tempted to sell his song through hyperbole and misrepresentation (lies). But it is, at it's core, a great song about God and one of our most profound beliefs that one day we will all, who have been redeemed, will be healed of all our infirmities. And there is nothing that is impossible for Our God.

In the movie Amadeus, when Mozart was trying to convince the emperor that his songs should not be banned said, (paraphrasing), "while I am a profane man, I assure you that my songs are not." How much music from Mozart is played around Christmas time or in high churches during funeral masses?

Reject the lie, embrace the truth. We, by virtue of who we are and what we read, have seen the fallen man behind the curtain, but the person who is sitting in your assembly this Sunday morning does not know the rest of the story. All they know is they heard you play this song once or twice before and they have been praying the lyric over and over while holding an ill loved ones hand or in a Dr's office, and they need to sing this song once again with their church family because God meets them there in a powerful and healing way.

Yes it is sad, but so is the cross and we cling to the cross, so let's sing a song with a sad back story.

Grace and peace.

beatnik

Comment

Very sad... does God really "anoint" songs anyway?, or people?

I do not think a song can be anointed, only God to a person who writes the song. http://tinyurl.com/6qnjvd

Originally posted by chrisfromcanada View Post
          Alright. Here we go again. Check the article here - http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/s...006301,00.html

I'm not in the mood to hear the defenders tell me how this is all about God not sharing His glory with another and how the anointing of a song continues despite the fallenness of the author. To be honest I don't care about that much right now.

I'm pissed that this has happened again. After the Todd Bentley circus that erupted this week I am more convinced than ever that our church celebrity culture must die and die quickly! How could we let it get this far??

How could NOBODY have verified this story?? There were no doctors? No medical records? Nobody visited him at the hospital during treatments?

The blog and twitter fire has already started on this. I think the fallout will last a while. It will be interesting to see how Hillsong handles this one after using Mike and his story to sell boatloads of CD's & DVD's.

So what do you think?

Comment

Having a wife with cancer and other terminal illnesses, I blogged my personal thoughts Here.

It's called Munchhausen Syndrome...

Very sad. Stories like these cause major issues for those of us (like my wife) who are dealing with cancer and blogging about it on the internet.

Not to mention what it does in and to the Church.

And, I agree with redding's above statement about "anointing"..."great" example with this story...

Nate
            Practical Worship

Please Pray For My Wife

Comment

The concept of anointing as the way many of us (from Benny Hinn all the way to more conservatives) always makes me nervous. There is very little NT evidence for personal anointing (such as song writing etc.) Instead it appears that we are anointed in the sense of our corporate, salvific participation in THE ANOINTED ONE, who is Jesus Christ. It is less a personal anointing and more a communal one as we participate in the life of Jesus.

I think there are lifelong gifts given by the Spirit. I also think there is a blessing to obedience. Some just speak of anointing as Luke Skywalker would "the force" and it makes me a bit wary. Just me though.

Comment

YES! I thought the song sucked, so now I can hate it and not feel like I am kicking a crippled kid.

This sounds kind of twisted, but, I laughed when I first heard this story. It's like, what an idiot, doesn't he realize that you can't fake something that big? Somebody needs to punch this guy in the face...be Christ like and let him take out his oxygen tube first though.

I would be really upset though if the chick in 'desert song' didn't really have a miscarriage. That story really moved me. Quite honestly I wasn't affected by fake cancer guy, maybe cause I thought his song stunk. Anyway, I really felt the other lady was more like real life...sometimes there are no answers, crap happens but we trust God anyways. It reminded me of the Chapmans.

Comment

Hey, stephen, I can understand not liking a song, there are plenty that are popular in Worship that annoy me intensely, but to go out and say you hate it is pretty extreme. I mean harboring hate in your heart, no matter the reason, is always wrong. So here's to hoping it was just a poor word choice and not the actual motive of your heart...

Back to the topic, I am saddened by this news, but I am not going to change my opinion on the song. I have been blessed by it, and so I will not throw it out because of a mans mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by stephen_can_man View Post
                    Somebody needs to punch this guy in the face...

I think Todd Bentley is looking for work??

(just kidding; bad joke that I couldn't resist)
                    8-)

what? me worry?

Comment

Originally posted by worshiptrench View Post
                      Instead it appears that we are anointed in the sense of our corporate, salvific participation in THE ANOINTED ONE, who is Jesus Christ.
                      Here, here!

Comment

Originally posted by yod1948 View Post
                        I think Todd Bentley is looking for work??

(just kidding; bad joke that I couldn't resist)
                        Mildly offensive...but freakin hilarious!

Comment

Again, I'm gonna challenge us as a community to uplift prayers not hurl stones.

Honestly, at any given moment we all are in need of God's grace.

Here's to praying we keep one another accountable and to not being fooled into thinking we're any better or worse than the people who mess up under the scrutiny of the public eye.
                          Associate Director of Worship & Media at St. Simons Community Church .He is also the content curator and editor here at The Worship Community.

Comment

Originally posted by stephen_can_man View Post
                            Somebody needs to punch this guy in the face...
                            What song would you pick to accompany the face pounding? Or is that better asked over in the other fight song thread?

Pat Benatar's "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" perhaps?

Comment

I would be really upset though if the chick in 'desert song' didn't really have a miscarriage.
                              I don't know... I've watched Jill McCoughry's testimony on CCLI and I believer her. Why should one cast doubt on the other?

Comment

Working...
                              X