Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Podcast-Safe Worship Songs?

Hi friends,

Is there a site for current, contemporary worship songs that are free to use, via performance on podcasting or the web? (I'm aiming to create such a podcast in a couple of months).

As it stands right now, I am unable to employ the resources of copyrighted songs put out by the major publishing companies/recording industry. None of the options available via CCLI or WorshipCast fit my particular situation. Believe me, I've investigated, and tried to bend to their specs. As it is clear to me, this is as closed a door as they come.

But I am not deterred by this. It only means that I am limited to public domain songs and songs that are given freely by worship songwriters who just wish to get their songs out there, even if it means them not getting paid by CCLI/ASCAP/BMI/etc.

And there are thousands of public domain songs, many of them unknown, orthodox, beautiful, prophetic, and just waiting to be unearthed. And I can also introduce my own songs. I have crafted a system that will allow me to have the most spontaneous approach to worship songs out there, despite the limitations of repertoire.
    But that said, if there's a site for podcast-friendly worship songwriters out there, I'd be more than happy to trade a link to their site in return, where their songs can get great exposure. I would like to make this future podcast a win/win for both budding worship songwriters and my listenership.

Nick
    Nick Alexander
    Host, The Prayer Meeting Podcast
    Worship that is Contemporary, Traditional, Charismatic, Contemplative, Spontaneous, based on the Church calendar, play it whenever you want.
    Find out what Nick Alexander can do for your conference, retreat or workshop.

Nick,
    I'm not familiar with any such site, but lots of people would be thrilled for you to do it.
    Fred McKinnon, Pianist/Composer/Worship Leader
    blog: www.fredmckinnon.com

Please check out my piano/instrumental music at:
    www.soundcloud.com/FredMcKinnonMusic
    www.youtube.com/c/FredMcKinnonMusic

Comment

Hi Nick and Fred,
      Doesn't a CCLI Church Streaming and Podcast License cover most popular worship songs? I have intentionally used familiar, popular worship songs for my Daily Worship podcast, and I thought that I was covered. Am I wrong about this?

-Kevin

Comment

You may need to talk to a CCLI representative. It depends upon your church, and how they are connected to your podcast. For myself, I am an itinerant music minister--the church I attend has a traditional organist and a liturgy, and I would be doing this podcast out of a closet w my acoustic guitar. And I am quite adamant; my podcast will reflect an old-school prayer meeting, outside of a church service. Thus a CCLI license will not be applicable to me. The WorshipCAST, having an even greater music selection, only applies to live streaming, and what I propose has got to be downloaded and saved.

For you, if your podcast reflects the goings on of an actual church service, or if done on church property w anybody invited to participate, or if your church has bundled this podcast as being a part of its ministry, you may be okay. But I would double-check; this is a thorny issue, and it can go outside CCLI territory, and into ASCAP/BMI territory, which would demand 9.1 cents per song, per download.

I'll say this: public domain songs, unknown authorship songs, and songs cleared by the songwriters to play-- this is great grand territory to pursue. In the early 80s, when MTV first launched, not too many bands took the time to craft a decent video, trepidatious upon this unknown territory. Mostly British bands took the plunge. Unsurprisingly, these British bands became very popular, overtaking most of the American music of the late 70s--Christopher Cross disappeared and Duran Duran took its place. This is a poor analogy, but I believe podcasting these songs will open up new avenues for people hungry to get their music out.
        Nick Alexander
        Worship that is Contemporary, Traditional, Charismatic, Contemplative, Spontaneous, based on the Church calendar, play it whenever you want.

Comment

Nick, I think that is an awesome way to get songs heard. I'm looking forward to hearing the podcast! For our podcast, it definitely is a ministry of our church. It's meant for our local church body, even though we have listeners from around the country. It goes through our Church Podcast site, and we have several members of our church who share and sing on the podcast regularly. It's also recorded in the sanctuary every day and funded by the church. The only thing that worries me a little bit is that it's not an actual church service, as defined by CCLI. I will contact CCLI this week; I definitely want to be within copyright laws, and I wouldn't feel comfortable continuing with "Top 100" CCLI songs if we are out of bounds.

Comment

I would think that you have a nice solution to this, if CCLI declines. Simply make it known to your church that there will be a short, podcast-oriented daily worship time and invite them to come or not. Just make it known. Even in small print. If it's a public event, and it reflects the worship of your church, I'd think you're good to go.

BTW, I heard your Friday podcast this morning. I liked it. So, your pastor says a message/reads Scripture, and it segues to you doing a familiar praise song chorus?
            Last edited by NickAlexander; 07-21-2012, 11:34 AM.
            Nick Alexander

Comment

Good solution, Nick. I'll do that if CCLI does decline. Normally, on most mornings, I share some direction and Scriptures for that day, and then I follow-up with 1 or 2 songs. I try to get different people on Fridays to do the podcast. It's been a great way to connect with worship leaders in the area, and also people with different giftings in our church.

Comment

Did you find out anything? The WorshipCast license may work. I'll ask my friend Susan from CopyrightSolvers.Com. I know at one point I was doing a podcast called Worship Interludes and I got a bit discouraged at my inability to do familiar songs. Streaming wasn't the issue, it was the downloadable file of the podcast that was the issue, since it counted as a physical media file being downloaded.
                Fred McKinnon, Pianist/Composer/Worship Leader
                blog: www.fredmckinnon.com

Please check out my piano/instrumental music at:
                www.soundcloud.com/FredMcKinnonMusic
                www.youtube.com/c/FredMcKinnonMusic

Comment

Hi Fred...

The WorshipCAST license will not work in my situation, for two reasons. First, I need it to be a podcast. So, right off the bat, the WorshipCAST license will not apply. Second, it needs to record an actual church service--open to the public; what I propose to do is going to come from a closet in my house (church membership:1).

As I wrote earlier, this is not a problem. (It's a problem for the contemporary praise and worship music industry, since I will be abandoning any pretense that I will be using any of their songs). Oh well. C'est la vie. All this means is that I will only have... brace yourself... 95% of all songs ever written for the entirity of Christendom at my disposal for use. *sigh*.
                  Nick Alexander

Comment

Nick and Fred,
                    I called CCLI in regard to our Podcast License, and it does indeed need to be an actual church service to continue with CCLI material. Well, as of yesterday morning, we have opened the sanctuary up at 6:00 a.m. Monday-Thursday and 4:00 P.M. on Thursday afternoon for a time of worship and prayer. We made it known to our congregation via Facebook and e-mail, so I feel at peace with continuing on with this podcast.

Not only will this keep us within copyright regs, but I'm looking forward to seeing how the Lord will use this time, both over a podcast and live.

Comment

I think that's fantastic! Can't wait to hear the new episodes!
                      Nick Alexander

Comment

Okay, I got my first podcast up this week. If you would like to listen, I hope it ministers to you.

This week I share about my thoughts of the Holy Spirit in today, and I touch upon my thoughts of the Charismatic Renewal, David Wilkerson's "Cross and the Switchblade", and its reception amongst specific mainline and Catholic denominations. And you get to sing with me some classic choruses and hymns ("All Hail the Pow'r of Jesus' Name", "Be Still My Soul", plus one of my own).

http://www.prayermeetingpodcast.com
                        Nick Alexander

Comment

Working...
                        X