!-- Beacon Ads Ad Code -->

Sponsor Ad:

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody ever use multiple video cameras in worship?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody ever use multiple video cameras in worship?

So I'm at a Chris Tomlin concert last night, marveling at all the visual stimulation that's accompanying the great music. Lights everywhere, about 8 video screens with shots from seemingly every angle. It was impressive.

I wondered to myself, "Wouldn't it be nice to do the video thing?" but I quickly thought better of it. That would take a bunch of expensive cameras, volunteers out the wazoo, more money than God, you name it.

And that's when I noticed ... there were like, two camera operators. That's it. The rest appeared to be tiny cameras on stage in fixed locations. And that's when the wheels really started turning. I started Google searching and discovered that small, fixed-focus, HD video cameras are dirt cheap. Basically, they do nothing but capture light through the lens, convert the images to video, and send it on to something else. They don't have zoom or high-speed shutters or "sports mode." Heck, they don't even RECORD the video. They just capture, convert, and send.

It also dawned on me ... my church has an 8-channel Roland video mixer that we have absolutely no use for.

So I asked myself, "What if?"
    1. What if we purchased about 6 of these little cameras and mounted them at strategic places on the stage? (Like an alternate angle of the lead singer, over top of the drummer, on the keyboard, etc.)
    2. What if we had one big camera for a key shot and nothing but little fixed-focus cameras for the rest?
    3. What if we sent the output of all these cameras to the video mixer, then to the main screens?
    4. What kind of volunteer organization would it take to pull this off?

The answers seem to be:
    1. That could work.
    2. That could also work.
    3. That also seems completely do-able (after all, isn't that the purpose of a video mixer?)
    4. We might be able to get by with exactly ONE person -- operating the video mixer. Just turn the other cameras on and let them feed the mixer.

Does anybody have any experience with this? Am I completely off my rocker? Could this work on a reasonably small budget, and with a small stable of volunteers?
    But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
    Romans 5:8

Sounds brilliant ! Tell us how it works and how to replicate should it be successful , please ! Blessings .

Comment

Nothing too far fetched here at all. The only thing I would resist is having only one key shot. I'd have two manned to follow action. The rest depends on philosophy.
      Travis Paulding,
      Production & Technology Director, St. Simons Community Church
      www.sscommunitychurch.com
      twitter.com/tpaulding

Comment

I'd make this a three person setup also. One video director and two people for two cameras.
        Travis Paulding,
        Production & Technology Director, St. Simons Community Church
        www.sscommunitychurch.com
        twitter.com/tpaulding

Comment

Thanks for the tips. Really appreciate it.

Any suggestions for equipment -- hardware and software?
          But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
          Romans 5:8

Comment

A church I was at previously had three stationary manned cameras at the perimeter of the sanctuary and then two roving camera operators on stage for the shots your are looking at doing with the little unmanned stationary cameras. The only hesitation I would ever have with video during a service is the size of the space, if you have a small/medium space it could be too much, these types of things really only work well in large spaces otherwise it can be really overwhelming.

Comment

Working...
            X