Imag question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Imag question

I have a tv broadcast background. So a friend asked for some help with an imag problem. I didn't have the answer so I am coming here for some help. At my friends church they have started using imag during the sermon for the benefit of those in the balcony. The problem is that they have noticed a half second delay in the video projected onto the screen from the projector. Is there a way to avoid this?

There are a lot of sources for delay in an IMAG system. The best way to tell would be to get a list of the signal chain from cameras to projector. You can pretty much guarantee that any time something is converted in signal, size, or from analog to digital it will add a frame of delay. Once you hit about 4 frames its pretty distracting.
    Travis Paulding,
    Production & Technology Director, St. Simons Community Church
    www.sscommunitychurch.com
    twitter.com/tpaulding

Comment

Thanks for the good info, I will try to get a signal chain list from my friend's setup. Meanwhile could you tell me what would be the best setup to avoid any delay. I do not recall that type of delay in the broadcast studio. Thanks again.

Comment

In broadcast, where I have no experience, I'd think that delay is a minor issue at most. Delay is only a serious issue when sources get out of sync before broadcast or the delay is present in the live environment (such as IMAG at church or a concert). Live televised sports have delays measured in the seconds at times, just try listening to a radio broadcast and watching a game at the same time, they'll be out of sync with each other and the live action. It doesn't generally matter there because you don't still see the live-in-person action at the same time. Stadiums fight delay too, but if you spend the RIGHT money, you can minimize it. A system that is running on all SDI at the same resolution from camera through to projector could be at 1 frame of delay, no issues there. I really don't feel qualified to recommend a best setup though. I could help if I saw some gear.

Check out this article explaining what I tried to explain way better: http://www.prosoundweb.com/article/print/pro_production_compensating_for_and_minimizing_vid eo_delay

This discussion thread with some real world examples. Tom D'Angelo chimes in there, he knows his stuff: http://www.churchmedia.net/forums/im...p-in-imag.html

This PDF with a more technical explanation of how things add up. Atem is now a BlackmagicDesign product but the science in this older document still fits: http://atemuser.com/sites/default/fi...Management.pdf
        Travis Paulding,
        Production & Technology Director, St. Simons Community Church
        www.sscommunitychurch.com
        twitter.com/tpaulding

Comment

Working...
        X