!-- Beacon Ads Ad Code -->

Sponsor Ad:

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie here and need help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Newbie here and need help

    Hello, I need some serious help. We are a small church here in TN. We have a big screen TV for the congregation to view. This year we purchased a Pre Sonus 24.4.2. I would like to get the sound out of my laptop into the mixer and use the HDMI output for the video portion.

    My questions are:

    1 - Is this possible? What piece(s) of equipment do we need?

    2 - Is there a way to run HDMI over 100 feet in length without degredation in signal that I am not aware of?


    Thanks for your help in advance!

  • #2
    You'd have much better luck running 100 feet of audio and a short line of HDMI.

    Nate
    Practical Worship

    Please Pray For My Wife

    Comment


    • #3
      Let me give you a scenario. We wanted to play a YouTube video. I had to be down front near the TV with the laptop plugged in to the HDMI port. To get the audio over the sanctuary mains, we had to put a mic beside the TV speaker. Kind of unprofessional wouldn't you say? I would love to operate everything from the sound room without going down front to interrupt the service. We do have an analog out for video from the sound room that we use sometimes but it looks awful. I am looking for something to give me HD video and sound through our mixer.

      Comment


      • #4
        How far do you need to run from the TV to the sound board?

        What do you use normally to get a signal to the TV?

        Those two questions will help us answer better. That being said, knowing nothing else about your setup, something like an Apple TV might fix you up. Computer at the board plugged straight in for audio and wirelessly connected to an Apple TV at your TV. I'm sure there are other devices to fit that same setup I just am familiar with the Apple TV.
        Travis Paulding,
        Production & Technology Director, St. Simons Community Church
        www.sscommunitychurch.com
        twitter.com/tpaulding

        Comment


        • #5
          This could potentially take care of you. Monoprice is legit, we buy a LOT from them at SSCC.

          http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2

          Again, whatever is already feeding the TVs may still be easier to integrate.
          Travis Paulding,
          Production & Technology Director, St. Simons Community Church
          www.sscommunitychurch.com
          twitter.com/tpaulding

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by dtpuga View Post
            This could potentially take care of you. Monoprice is legit, we buy a LOT from them at SSCC.

            http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2
            FWIW, we are running this exact cable at one of our campuses with no performance issues whatsoever. Much farther than that and you'd probably want to look at using baluns to run the signal over Cat5, and then convert back to HDMI at the TV end. I also agree with Travis that, depending on your scenario and budget, some kind of wireless solution may be simpler.

            As far as audio, it should be as simple as running the output from your computer into a direct box (there are several stereo DIs out there designed specifically for this type of application), and then running an XLR (microphone) cable to your snake or directly to the Presonus, depending on where your laptop ends up living.
            Eric Frisch
            www.ericfrisch.com

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by dtpuga View Post
              How far do you need to run from the TV to the sound board?

              What do you use normally to get a signal to the TV?

              Those two questions will help us answer better. That being said, knowing nothing else about your setup, something like an Apple TV might fix you up. Computer at the board plugged straight in for audio and wirelessly connected to an Apple TV at your TV. I'm sure there are other devices to fit that same setup I just am familiar with the Apple TV.

              It is about 70 feet line of sight from TV to the sound room. Under normal circumstances, like if we have an outline for the sermon on Power Point, I have to leave the laptop plugged in up front under the TV so I can use HDMI. We do have a 1/4" plug that we use for an analog signal for the video on occasion, but like I said, I would like to keep everything looking nice and still get sound through the mixer.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by efrisch View Post
                FWIW, we are running this exact cable at one of our campuses with no performance issues whatsoever. Much farther than that and you'd probably want to look at using baluns to run the signal over Cat5, and then convert back to HDMI at the TV end. I also agree with Travis that, depending on your scenario and budget, some kind of wireless solution may be simpler.

                As far as audio, it should be as simple as running the output from your computer into a direct box (there are several stereo DIs out there designed specifically for this type of application), and then running an XLR (microphone) cable to your snake or directly to the Presonus, depending on where your laptop ends up living.
                I would say that an Apple TV would be a good choice for You Tube and such but I don't believe it would display Power Points for us.
                Could you point me in the direction for one of the direct boxes? I believe I found one but it was rather expensive and more than likely used for capturing video.

                http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HDExpressCard/

                Thanks everyone for your help.

                Comment


                • #9
                  http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MiniSumBox/

                  This is the one we use. $60

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    At 70 feet, I would definitely just run HDMI from your sound booth. You shouldn't have any worries about signal quality at that distance. At that point, something like the box that waskel mentioned would work well to get your audio into the Presonus. You could also use a USB audio interface like this one if you don't want to run out of the headphone jack:

                    https://m.musiciansfriend.com/pro-au...cording-studio
                    Eric Frisch
                    www.ericfrisch.com

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      We will get it figured out. Thanks to everyone who helped. God Bless.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X