Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bluetooth Extension Help!

Hi!

I have been hired to lead an All Hallows' Eve party in a church basement. Part of what they'd like me to do is to march around the entire room, leading a parade, with a guitar, singing.

I would like to have Powerpoint slides with this. Furthermore, I would like to control the slides being used (songs being sung), while playing guitar.

The guitar part is pretty much straightforward, so ignore that for now. I am looking to purchase a Bluetooth numeric keypad, to somehow affix to my guitar and use it to type in slide numbers for the Powerpoint system on my laptop.

Just one problem: all of the bluetooth devices seem to state that this goes up to 33 feet. Knowing the size of the room, I suspect that it will be bigger. Which means that I will be out of range for this.

I have seen articles which explain how some folks extend their BlueTooth devices by means of breaking open the doggle thing, removing their internal antenna and sautering on a more powerful antenna. But even in the YouTube video it appeared that there was a time lag.

Bottom line: anybody have experience with what I'm describing? Does it make sense? Are there unforeseen complications, like lag time and choppy reception? I need to know this before I plop down mucho dinero at my local Radio Shack, and instead choose to ask a non-technologically advanced pre-baby-boom volunteer to helm my laptop's numeric keypad...

Nick
    Nick Alexander
    Host, The Prayer Meeting Podcast
    Worship that is Contemporary, Traditional, Charismatic, Contemplative, Spontaneous, based on the Church calendar, play it whenever you want.
    Find out what Nick Alexander can do for your conference, retreat or workshop.

If you could use WiFi the problem is solved?

Comment

Forgive my ignorance. How would I use WiFi to connect a numeric keypad with my laptop?

Nick
      Nick Alexander
      Worship that is Contemporary, Traditional, Charismatic, Contemplative, Spontaneous, based on the Church calendar, play it whenever you want.

Comment

There are wireless accessories that do not use Bluetooth for connectivity. For example, I have a Gyration Airmouse which uses a proprietary RF connection and is good for up to 100'. Look at the Logitech N305. Might be what you want.

Comment

Alas, I just got off the phone with a Logitech representative. They have discontinued this product. Not a whole lot of people purchasing wireless non-Bluetooth numeric keypads for access to Windows Vista laptops from 100 feet, from an acoustic guitarist with a "yolder" and a guitar neck with three capos mimicking the C chord.
          Nick Alexander

Comment

Nick, it's still available on Amazon and from some other resellers.

Comment

Working...
            X