Issue with Facebook +LIVE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issue with Facebook +LIVE

Hi folks. In this new "normal" we have been thrust into, churches are having to be more embracing of technology in order to reach out. After this pandemic hit, my church started using Facebook Live. This worked beautifully until April 12, 2020. We use OBS software to encode to Facebook Live. The issue we are now experiencing is that Facebook Live no longer works. OBS is fine, the computer we use is fine, our internet connection is fine. What happens is this:
    1.Click More at the top of our church Facebook page
    2.Click Publishing Tools
    3.Click Video Library
    4.Click +LIVE
    When +LIVE is clicked, Facebook should open a Connect window that shows the URL and the stream key. This is where the failure takes place. No Connect window opens. Facebook goes back to the page that shows the +LIVE option. Nothing we try will make the Connect window open. It had worked flawlessly until April 12. If you have ever tried to use Facebook customer support then you know that is pretty much futile. I have searched every where I can and cannot find where this issue is addressed. Does ANYONE here know what is going on/ Can you help me?

We stream to FB via LivingAsOne and haven't been having any issues but I have seen reports that a lot of people using OBS and other RTMP based streaming systems are having issues. I think FB is getting overloaded on Sundays.

Have you tried other times of the week? I'd do that as a next test.
    Travis Paulding,
    Production & Technology Director, St. Simons Community Church
    www.sscommunitychurch.com
    twitter.com/tpaulding

Comment

Yes. I have tried a different day and a different computer on a different network. The issue doesn't seem to be with OBS, the computer or the internet connection. It seems to lie with our Facebook page. We can stream with a mobile device but I would prefer to use the broadcast equipment we have. It gives a professional look to the stream.

Comment

Yeah, mobile devices are different because you're streaming from within the FB app.
        Travis Paulding,
        Production & Technology Director, St. Simons Community Church
        www.sscommunitychurch.com
        twitter.com/tpaulding

Comment

Late to the party here, I see you have used different computers and networks. Were those networks on different firewalls? The thing that sticks out to me about your symptoms is the app/plugin not opening. I'm not an IT expert, but in my experience, that could mean that it's attempting to launch but something in the anti-virus program or network firewall is terminating the launch due to a 'perceived' potential security issue. I have ran into issues like this before. It would be worth making sure that OBS and Facebook Live are both 'whitelisted'. It's probably a long shot, but assumption is the mother of all mistakes when it comes to troubleshooting something like this.

Might be a browser issue too, as Chrome and other browsers are getting away from Adobe Flash and other video plugins, the browser might be the issue. I had an issue with Chrome where it kept blocking flash player and certain HTML5 players and I had to go in the Chrome settings and allow it. Usually Chrome will open the applet and tell you it's not supported, but not always. Lately I've had better luck with Firefox launching video/streaming applets than I have with Chrome.

These might be long-shot tries, but at this point there is nothing to lose by checking.
          If we want to go places we haven't been, we will have to do things we haven't done.

Comment

Working...
          X