Licensing and making your own iWorship-type videos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Licensing and making your own iWorship-type videos

Our traveling ministry doesn't have a live band so we use iWorship videos. There are some great songs out there and I've made a few of them in to videos. Has anyone come across what all licenses are needed for making your own worship videos and playing them? Not selling them...just playing them?
    Thanks!

Not sure what you are trying to do exactly. If you are creating your own video content, then it is yours, no license necessary. If you are making a video and synchronizing it in one file WITH someone else's music then you will need to research a video sync license. If you are playing video loops in software that are happening at the same time that you play music I think you are fine there, as long as you have the appropriate CCLI license for that music.
    Travis Paulding,
    Production & Technology Director, St. Simons Community Church
    www.sscommunitychurch.com
    twitter.com/tpaulding

Comment

Are you using recordings of another artist doing a song, and syncing that to a video? If that's the case, you need both a master use and a synchronization license from the publisher. If you are recording the music yourself, then you need a synchronization license and a mechanical license.

Rates for these vary from publisher to publisher, and some just will not let you do it. (though most will) Rates for master use and synchronization are neither compulsory nor rate-fixed like mechanical licenses are.

For example... EMI Christian Music will charge you 20 cents per copy for a master/sync and 25 cents per copy for a mechanical/sync. There may be a minimum you have to buy, usually 200 or 250.

Other publishers will charge similar rates, and often a licensing fee as well. Some may charge more - it's really up to them.

Comment

MikeyMo to the rescue!
        Travis Paulding,
        Production & Technology Director, St. Simons Community Church
        www.sscommunitychurch.com
        twitter.com/tpaulding

Comment

I'd like to add to our collection of iWorship videos with newer songs from other artists. Like the #1 song God of Angel Armies isn't available thru iWorship...So I'd like to make a video for that.
          Buy the mp3, buy the background, make the video. That's my question

Comment

"Whom Shall I Fear" is licensed through EMI Christian Publishing. It doesn't get any easier. They have a nice web portal that you request the license through. I just did a bunch of songs with them - really easy.

For what you'll describe, you'll need a master use/sync license.

Comment

Hi guys,

I'm new here, but want to jump in and drop a shameless plug. I just released some software that allows you to build your own worship background loops, worship song track videos, countdowns, etc. Licensing these songs is a matter of using your CCLI account for permission, and with it, you can get all the lyrics and music tracks and build your media how you want it to look.

Take a look and grab the trial of the Worship Media Creator.

My goal is to build a community where we can all build and share our media with each other, for exactly this reason.

Let me know if I can help you further!

Comment

Jordan, that program looks pretty cool.

Strictly speaking, though, the OP would still need licensing, as he specifically stated it was for a travelling ministry. The CCLI copyright license would not cover that, unless each and every venue they played had a CCLI license.

Comment

Mikey,
                  You're absolutely right. I assume if they travel to churches, *most* could presumably have a CCLI License, but great point.

You mentioned the EMI licensing interface earlier to license individual songs to create videos for, can you link to that? I'd be interested to find the best way to license songs for mass release, as well as to pass on the info... I know it is a regularly asked question.

Comment

Working...
                  X