X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's Rock
    started a topic Sheet Music Distribution via iPad or Similar

Sheet Music Distribution via iPad or Similar

This didn't seem to belong in another forum, so hopefully it's not so far down the page it won't get noticed!

I recently accepted the position of worship leader at my church. I'm looking to update/upgrade our method of storing/updating/distributing music. There are several different programs/apps for doing this, but the issue I have that I have not yet found a resolution to is the fact that our piano player generally cannot play from chord charts. She needs sheet music. Having one-off copies of sheet music is not a big deal, but the issue arises when I find a song that is out of my range, or a song that I'd simply like to change the key on to integrate it better into the set. As soon as I start changing keys the band breaks down as a result.

Off the top of my head using an electronic keyboard and just transpose/pitch shift would work, only we have a nice grand piano and me suggesting we stop using it would be akin to the suggestion of taking down the cross behind the pulpit, lol. So using the keyboard is a fall-back position.

There's also the laborious proposition of entering the music by hand (or playing) into Cubase or another DAW, transpose it, and then spit out the resulting chart. The geeky side of me likes this but this is a volunteer position; I have a couple other jobs competing for my time.

So, anyone have a similar situation to me?

We use songselect.com for charts, and paper copies (origins of the paper copies are unknown to me at this time) for the sheet music for the piano. We use ProPresenter for the projector. (If either of these things help.) I'm hoping to find something that can integrate music management, version control, sheet music distribution, and presentation.

Thanks for your help folks!

• Mike on Bass
    replied
    I think the WL where I used to go used praisecharts to get lead sheets in a few different keys for our youth flute and clarinet players. They were just lead sheets, they weren't the traditional piano sheet music. It worked ok.

For piano, if she is reading sheet music, I would think that it would be within reach to learn what notes form what chord. Would it be useful to take the sheet music for the songs she currently has and pencil in the chords above the music? Or possibly take the chord charts and pencil in the notes for the chord next to the letter?

Like for a C- on the music where it says C- pencil in C-E-G? I mean, when I learned how to read sheet music for concert band 20+ years ago, I had to learn (on some level) chords and scales and what notes were in each chord (root, third, fifth, etc.). I would think she would know where the C, E, and G keys are at on the piano. Yeah, it might be a paradigm shift, but it shouldn't be that hard to bridge the gap.

Leave a comment:

• kepmek
    replied
    As a pianist, I can appreciate not wanting to play from chord charts. I can handle playing from leadsheets if I have to.

There are so many services (musicnotes, praisecharts, and lifeway to name a few) where you can purchase what you need for a low price that it isn't worth your time to enter/transpose unless you are very fast at it.

I am actually the one who brings in the new music for our team. So when a song comes to my attention, I follow these steps.

1. Based on the vocal range of the song, identify the keys that fit within our vocalists' capabilities. There will usually be 2 to 4 keys.
    2. From those keys, select the ones that are more playable for your band. In our group, that usually means C, G, or D first. F, A, and Bb are second choices.
    3. If you think you might want something in 2 keys, just buy it in both keys. Some of the services sell multi-prints and you could print once in one key and the second time in the other. Get the chord charts and vocal lead sheets from the same service, and everything should match up easily. For your pianist's sake, look at more than one service. Some will have a much more difficult part written out -- no need to freak her out with "too many notes".

Our team does a limited number of new songs, so I usually just pay it out-of-pocket myself. I don't think I've ever paid more than $15 for everything I need for a song. But your church should be glad to pick up the cost for volunteers.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X