Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Media Shout vs. Pro Presenter vs. Easy Worship

Hey guys,

My church is currently running Media Shout (and sometimes PowerPoint) in our venues and there's a vocal minority complaining about it's functionality and begging for Pro Presenter. I'm all for change but I don't want to unnecessarily disrupt the system when if Media Shout accomplishes what we're needing.

Can any of y'all who know share the main pros and cons between these three (Media Shout, Pro Presenter, Easy Worship) platforms? Also, if it helps, we're wanting to be able to do camera feeds behind lyrics and I don't know which of those softwares support that function.

TIA! God bless!

My church currently uses EasyWorship. The new 2009 version looks like it has some great features with it, we're using the 2007 version. I don't have a lot to say in regards to comparing the 3. I have personally used all 3 and I definetely prefer EasyWorship over Media Shout. I also really like ProPresenter and I'm sure it has a lot more camera and media support that the others. The only thing right now is ProPresenter is only on Mac. There is a beta version in test right now that works on Windows 7, but I don't know of any release date yet. Hope that helps some. If I come up with anything else, I'll be sure to post it.

Comment

Easy Worship

We have been using EasyWorship for quite a few years now, and I generally have not had any issues in using it. I like the fact that I can take almost anybody out of the congregation and get them up and running on it in a few minutes, as long as they have a modicum of computer know-how. I have not used the live-feed feature in EasyWorship yet because it requires a video capture card to get the live feed (which we do not yet have in our presentation computer), and I don't know if it supports using the live feed as the background. The main thing you would have issue with would be latency in your video feed if it runs through your computer. EasyWorship does not currently run natively on Macs (you can run it in Windows under Bootcamp), so if you use Macs for presentation, you are out of luck. Their next version is expected to run on Macs under OS X.
      Some other things I like about EasyWorship is that I have only had to pay for one upgrade in the years we have been using it, and they also give you a site license, so you can install it on several computers in your church, and even share a song database over the network.
      Hope this helps.

Wes
      Last edited by waschmunk; 05-24-2010, 07:09 PM. Reason: additional info

Comment

the reality is, you're talking 3 drastically different programs.. ProPresenter is the cadillac of church presentation software. and yes, with it you can put a video feed from a camera behind your lyrics.. I've never used Media Shout or Easy Worship for an extensive amount of time, so I can't really give you a good review of them.. We use ProPresenter.. and the thing I love is the ease of use.. everything is just so simple.. our projector guy isn't all that tech savvy and he caught onto ProPresenter within a few minutes of using it.

The hardest thing for most churches is justifying the cost, especially a small church like mine.. I actually got it myself for our church, because there is no way I could convince them that we need to spend $400 on software..

All I can say is download the demo, and give a try.. it's quite awesome

Comment

***moved***

(to technologies for worship)

Comment

When comparing various ministry presentation software, the first question you really have to answer is whether you prefer to work on a PC or a Mac. Obviously there are huge fans of each OS, so you must get past the "I really like Macs, so Mac software is better" to get down to actual feature & UI comparisons of each. As it's been stated, MediaShout & Easy Worship are the two major contenders on the PC side with ProPresenter currently working on one, and while ProPresenter is currently the only player in the Mac market, MediaShout is planning to release an OS X version in the next month (MediaShout | Mac) and Easy Worship reportedly has one in the works.

As far as live feed behind lyrics is concerned, all 3 major ministry presentation software apps offer this functionality, and once you determine that your computer processor & RAM is beefy enough, they can all handle it with flying colors. That being said, if you're using live video as a major component of your worship service, I would highly recommend using an external switcher with keying function built-in and leaving your presentation software to provide the text and/or graphics pieces to key over the video. Obviously this is a bit more pricy solution, so as I mentioned, it's really based on the function and quality of the final product.

(full disclosure, I am a MediaShout employee but am also Visual Worship Leader for a church in the Nashville area)

Comment

ProPresenter is also coming out on Windows soon.

I have used Media Shout 4 and ProPresenter 3. Media Shout had a good bit more flexibility, however, the GUI was pretty cluttered and made it hard to use. It was not easy to setup, but it was fine to run.

ProPresenter is great. It is a bit simpler (although the newest version has alot of new options) to set up, and it's cake to run. The iPhone app works well for triggering queues. ProP lends itself more to a team that utilizes other editing software before they import into ProP (like Photoshop, Final Cut, etc.).

Comment

Hmmm... thanks for all the response! Let me see if I can summarize at this point:

Text based:
                Media Shout
                Image based:
                ProPresenter, Easy Worship
                Easiest to use for volunteers (in order):
                ProPresenter, Easy Worship, Media Shout
                Ability to run live feeds beneath text:
                All three
                Easiest to make changes during service (in order):
                Least occurences of freezing/glitching (in order):

Am I missing anything? Or should I alter the order in any way?

Comment

Originally posted by H00KemH02NS View Post
                  Hmmm... thanks for all the response! Let me see if I can summarize at this point:

Text based:
                  Media Shout
                  Image based:
                  ProPresenter, Easy Worship
                  Easiest to use for volunteers (in order):
                  Ability to run live feeds beneath text:
                  All three
                  Easiest to make changes during service (in order):
                  Least occurences of freezing/glitching (in order):

Am I missing anything? Or should I alter the order in any way?
                  If using Mac platforms Propresenter is the only thing to use with the additon of Quicktime pro player to gain mpeg playback and adding the free flip for windows plugin to handle wmv files.

If PC's then below.

As a the Technical Director for a fairly large church and a long time consultant on Easy Worship, Media Shout, Sunday Plus, Propresenter and extensive imag experience to many church clients. I would like to add a couple of questions to ask yourself. One of the chief questions I ask my clients is what is the most typical file format that you either purchase or have brought to be played. Especially formats that are brought in 10 minutes before a performance.

Most common answers I receive are quicktime and mpeg files and dvd's.

If quicktime is an important format and I believe will be so in the future. Then hands down Propresenter for both Macs and Windows is the only way to go. EW, MediaShout both rely very heavily on open source codecs especially recommending the k-lite packs. Having spent many hours helping customers with codecs that is one of the top problem areas. In the case of Mediashout the 3.0 version was the best of theirs for qt files as they used Apple's quicktime player. Nowadays they use the QT alternative clone player and it can be very unstable at times. Not a knock on Mediashout at all. It is a knock on Microsoft until Windows 7 came along and at least they released a great MP4/H.264 codec. Currently EW and MediaShout don't use them. Hope that changes for MS. EW stays in catch up mode. Propresenter wisely solved most of the mp4 problems by having a user install the Essentials 3.0 pack from Microsoft. I could go into more details but not for the this reply.

The other thing is playing dvd's handsdown Mediashout and Propresenter handle physical media playback well. As for EW version 2009 is an improvement over 2007 but not by much. Marking start points in EW is ok, it's ending points were it fails. EW 2009 is very unstable with caching problems at everyone of my clients that have upgraded to it. EW doesn't do service upgrades very often for whatever reasons. I have three clients currently that have upgraded to EW2009 in the last month that either have gone back to 2007 or are resolved to moving off of it all together. Another quirk in 2009 is the looping button. If you click looping on one video all set to loop and clicking one to not loop they all set to unloop. Setting one to loop and the other to not loop currently isn't possible with EW. I have submitted this as a feature change to tech support.

If text over imag is important then no matter how fast a pc/mac it will never be fast enough to minimize lag. All software vendors will tell you that your better off buying a video switcher that does keying over video feeds. That is as close to real-time as you'll get. Especially if your doing text over praise singers that move hands around. The audience will be drawn to the delay more than they realize.

I would love to hear from the MediaShout employee on this thread if they are going to use the Microsoft codec for MP4's instead of the k-lite pack. That would be a plus.

due to inflation my two cents worth is down to one & half cents.

Brian
                  Last edited by bsulli; 05-25-2010, 06:03 PM.

Comment

While the traditional hymnal and hymn boards continue to be used in many congregations, a growing number of churches are embracing multimedia technology to enhance their worship service. Just as copies of bound music gave way to overhead projectors and transparencies, now computers and LCD projectors have replaced these technologies. Easy worship is design to easily display songs, scriptures, video and alerts to your congregation with little or no distractions.
                    Last edited by danneva; 09-07-2010, 02:28 AM.

Comment

PP4 Vs EW and Macosx

Hi friends,

I Openly use macOSX since converting 2.5 years ago, to have a consistent reliable work station & run and edit media at home.

Heres my issue.

I am sick of pc issues @ church..... and i am the one who has responsibility over media.
                      We constantly have technical issues. dvd not playing, powerpoint issues,
                      PC not recording messages. PC freezing and crashing. The system is a 32bit 4 gig ram and 500HHD Vista & EW there's the problem.... second pc in 2 yrs. 2nd display constantly killing monitors (massive lines through screens).
                      Yes no Video switcher (staunch pc users think they cause more issues) lol.

I have possibly talked the staunch pc advocates to give the OSX a go and sold them on the supposedly amazing PP4.
                      All of a sudden i hear there are massive issues with the Nvidea 9400 graphics and lag with txt transition and H.264. (multi screen)

Is any one out there having this same issue and have you found a fix? it seems PP4, have not suggestion buy a new computer. happy to add links if need be.

Church has asked for a demo of mac and pp4, after testing it i cant demo there product like this. And who knows if Ew will ever do anything with mac....
                      I need help please???

hoping for some tech help out there.
                      Blessings
                      Last edited by accmedia; 09-17-2010, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Many comments here essentially state that programs on the Mac tend to be more stable or just "better" than programs on the PC, when in reality programs on the Mac BENEFIT from a closed and therefore more stable system, where programs on the PC tend to be downgraded by an open, flexible, and unpredictable system. I don't mean to argue that one is better than the other and in fact I prefer a Mac and OSX but often rely on a PC. This is just the truth of the matter.

I hesitate to qualify the quality of a software program by the benefits of its platform versus the merits of the software itself. You can see and understand this argument clearly by looking at cross platform programs and comparing one platform against itself on the other. The differences are often striking and I don't believe a company all of the sudden got "dumber" from a development perspective when writing their mirrored program.

To compare a programs' features effectively, you need to give the programs equal footing by testing them in their preferred environments or according to their preferred specs. You can judge between them separately by the cost of those environments, by their flexibility, or by other means, but the programs' features themselves should be evaluated separately because ultimately when you commit to a product, you will give it every chance at success by supporting it with the necessary hardware.

My suggestion is the same as a few others...download and try them out. If you just go off of a recommendation, you're trusting the opinion of another without knowledge of the context of that opinion. Some will be fan boys. Others will give a justified opinion. But will you really know which is which? If you can't afford to test each one in a perfect system, locate a church in your area that can help you out and walk you through the basics. Most companies offering solutions can help you with that part of your research.

For transparency, I am the communications director for EasyWorship, one of the software options mentioned in this thread. For those requesting information on the new version of EasyWorship and the promise of a Mac version, the new version for PC has an alpha available that has just released. Feel free to contact me for a link to it if you'd like to have a sneak peek at what's coming. The Mac is catching up and will function identically. So if you consider yourself in the know with church technology, you might want to contact me and give it a look.

Comment

Working...
                        X