!-- Beacon Ads Ad Code -->

Sponsor Ad:

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone projecting lyrics and music? How?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone projecting lyrics and music? How?

Hey, our traditional service folks are joining us in worship for the summer and they're asking about having notes on the screens. We use ProPresenter. Any ideas?

Thanks

We tried to get this to work but could never pull it off. We tried screen-capturing lead sheets and/or finale/sibelius music sheets and projecting thim as images on the screen. The notes were never quite clear and the words were much harder to read since they ended up quite a bit smaller. We never quite figured out how to make it work. If anyone does make this work, I'd be really interested to find out how!

Comment

I don't have a projection answer but a serious question. Why can't the music be memorized?
      Be Awesome for God!

Chris Moncus
      Personal Blog | Chris Moncus Photography

Other places to find me:
      flickr | FaceBook | Twitter

Comment

I agree ... I'd guess the "notes" in the music is more a "nostalgia" for 99.9% of the people ... most people don't really read "notes", and if they are skilled enough to read "notes" to be able to sing familiar songs ... they don't really need them.

I'd just respectfully say "interesting idea, but honestly - that won't quite fit the format we use for projecting lyrics, but the songs are fairly simple, so you should be able to catch on pretty quickly".
        Fred McKinnon, Pianist/Composer/Worship Leader
        blog: www.fredmckinnon.com

Please check out my piano/instrumental music at:
        www.soundcloud.com/FredMcKinnonMusic
        www.youtube.com/c/FredMcKinnonMusic

Comment

What would be good for this is if we could somehow get a book that had all the notes for the songs. It could be hardback, so it'd be durable. That way, the people who could read music would be able to sing harmony, say maybe 4 parts. I can't believe no one's ever thought of this before. I mean, that way, if there were technology problems, or the guy at the computer was asleep, it wouldn't matter as much. It would probably need a name, so maybe something like Hymn Book, or Song Book, or something like that. This is awesome, I think we're really onto something here...

J/K

Nathan

Comment

Nathan,
            Now THAT's a great idea!
            Fred McKinnon, Pianist/Composer/Worship Leader
            blog: www.fredmckinnon.com

Please check out my piano/instrumental music at:
            www.soundcloud.com/FredMcKinnonMusic
            www.youtube.com/c/FredMcKinnonMusic

Comment

So...no solutions to the projection issue; oh well, I didn't think there would be. I'm quite sure CCLI allows churches to create their own song books utilizing copies of lead sheets or arrangements, so we may just go that route.

Comment

This sounds like the perfect opportunity for the traditional service folks to buy you that 40ft HD screen and projector you've been eying. Nothings says rock and roll like 6 ft tall quarter notes!!!!!!

Comment

Sorry there really aren't any answers to your projection problem. Keep seeking God and find His perspective. Maybe the solution is right there in front of you and your trust in Him will lead you to it.
                  Be Awesome for God!

Chris Moncus
                  Personal Blog | Chris Moncus Photography

Other places to find me:
                  flickr | FaceBook | Twitter

Comment

couldn't you take photos of songs from the hymnal and project them?
                    8-)

what? me worry?

Comment

There is an answer to your problem but I've found that it's incredibly time consuming.

You'll need a program like Finale or Sibelius. Create the music file that you'd like to project - music and lyrics.

Export the file as a graphic. I typically use PNG files.

Open the new graphic file in Photoshop or a similar program (I use GIMP).

Set the white color as transparent (Google can help you find tutorials for this).

Select the black layer (the notes). Invert the colors. You should now have white notes on a transparent background.
                      (If you want to at this point, you could add a drop shadow to the notes to make the line easier to read. Google this as well.)

Save the file.

Open this new file in your presentation program. I use Keynote but others work fine, as long as they support transparent graphics files. (I believe I read that ProPresenter released an update package that allows this a few days ago.)

Repeat for every verse of every hymn that you wish to project.

(Note: I chose white notes because white notes on a dark background are typically easier to read for the congregation.)

Comment

Maybe I missed the question. The question is how to get words up on the screens using pro-presenter?

Comment

I don't project notes on screen; but my uncle is a worship minister @ an a cappella church and they have been doing it for years. There are actually a few software solutions that project notation...one that comes to mind is the Paperless Hymnal. I believe my uncle creates the score in Finale and then saves as an image and runs it out of SongShow Plus.

My previous church was an a cappella church and before I came they were scanning the scores and running out of powerpoint. This looks horrid and clumsy though...I moved over to words only and had printed out 4 part sheets available for anyone who wanted them. We started by making 700 and ended up making 75 each week...not that many music readers.

Basically, without using pre-fab solution, the best way would be to take your score (melody or parts) and save as an image.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Words and notes on the screen

As suggested by a previous poster -- the easiest way to do this is to scan the song from the hymnal into PPT. You can then use the PPT edit features to show just one verse at a time. That way the guy running the laptop can just read the screen, follow the lyrics and hit the enter key to move to the next slide, next verse, refrain, coda, whatever - during congregational singing.

For those not familiar with the Mennonite Church -- if you cannot sing 4 part harmony - you are issued a handicapped sticker at the door and there is a special section of that sanctuary set aside for you. Just kidding -- sort of...

Singing is an important part of our worship experience and since our church is comprised of many members that have been singing hymns in 4 part harmony all their life -- this ain't gonna change. Nor should it in my opinion. Sure we should know many of these great songs from memory -- but there are a lot of baby boomers in our church and we all know what is happening to our memories.

The 'blended' worship music style we now use includes traditional hymns and new contemporary songs as well. With the words and the music on a screen -- the older generation has been more accepting of trying the new stuff.

A scanned hymnal page on the screen is not attractive - but we survive and there are always great visuals in between songs.

Comment

Originally posted by DougB View Post
                              Hey, our traditional service folks are joining us in worship for the summer and they're asking about having notes on the screens. We use ProPresenter. Any ideas?

Thanks
                              Sorry DougB....I read this post and the first thing that came to mind was a screen absolutely covered with......Post-it Notes....
                              sorry Man, still kinda grinnin'

Comment

Working...
                              X