Where do you Go for Consults?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do you Go for Consults?

OK, a few months ago I posted our current desire to create a duplicate service environment using a live video feed, mixable audio feed, etc.

http://www.theworshipcommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1578

Anyways, we are beginning a capital campaign over the next 4 months to raise funds for this and before we spend a dime we'd like to bring in a pro tech to advise us.

I know there are some of you here who are amazing at the tech side of things so my first question is...

Would any of you be willing to do this as a weekend job? Maybe fly (drive) in for the weekend service, look at what we're presently doing, give us the greatest advice ever and then be rewarded according.

My second question is...

Who would your go to people be IF you don't do it yourself?

We're not really looking for a consult and install, as much as we're looking for someone to help us put together a possible equipment/pricing list.

Thanks in advance.
    Associate Director of Worship & Media at St. Simons Community Church .He is also the content curator and editor here at The Worship Community.

We are about to purchase two HD cameras through Fowler in Tulsa. They have been very helpful and informative. If you know even a little about what you want they can set you on the straight and narrow. We were unsure what to get and they suggested the tripod, camera, and lenses that they have been installing and selling. They also know the drawbacks and advantages. We are going with two JVC GY-HD110U camcorders. I am not sure the model numbers for the tripods and lenses.

Comment

Anyone else got any useful advice?

Anybody on here willing to get PAID to come down and rock with us for a weekend?
      Associate Director of Worship & Media at St. Simons Community Church .He is also the content curator and editor here at The Worship Community.

Comment

Dude, I'd love to, but not nearly qualified to find out that info ... out of my league!
        Fred McKinnon, Pianist/Composer/Worship Leader
        blog: www.fredmckinnon.com

Please check out my piano/instrumental music at:
        www.soundcloud.com/FredMcKinnonMusic
        www.youtube.com/c/FredMcKinnonMusic

Comment

I'd love to jump on an opportunity like that myself BUT...

I only have educated guesses as to mic splitters and all the stuff that goes into a second mixable venue off of the same live source. I wouldn't feel right taking any money for advising that specific kind of install.

I do have a friend in Atlanta who was initially a part of our design team before he left our contractor to work on his own. He does good work. Let me know if you are interested in his contact info.
          Travis Paulding,
          Production & Technology Director, St. Simons Community Church
          www.sscommunitychurch.com
          twitter.com/tpaulding

Comment

Yeah shoot me a PM, Travis.

Comment

Dude, pay the consultant if you know of a good one...i promise they'll be the best investment you make (over even a weekend warrior who is qualified). You got one shot at it...

Comment

That's what I'm trying to do. I just need to find one! We've never crossed this bridge so we're looking for someone (or company) in the Southeast that can get the job done!

Comment

Russ, this is not difficult to do at all. We have our South location meeting in a movie theater and we do on occasion use an overflow (an adjacent theater). This can be as simple as a single camera feed (wide view) to a projector and a single audio mix to a couple of powered speakers on sticks.

It has however been our experience that folks don't enjoy that too much. They don't seem to mind having the Pastor on the screen, but live worship seems to be much better received.

I hope this helps a little, you are welcome to email me with any additional questions.

David Cherry
                  Shoreline
                  Austin

Comment

Thanks, David,

at this point we're working to incorporate a live "lead vocalist" along with a guitar or 2 that play along with the feed.

But lately, our team has been growing at such a pace that we might actually have enough for 2 separate bands. Which would work just as well.

Comment

We have a total of three venues onsite and two that receive a live video feed and stereo feed from our Worship Center. I believe the audio is being sent via a matrix from the console and old-fashioned audio cables but the video, I'll need to check. I know the venues have prosumer grade DVR boxes that recieve the feed and allow playback, archiving, etc.

Tell you what, PM me your contact info and I can get you in touch with our tech director who would have more details.

Comment

Independant consultant

Originally posted by blindeyesopen View Post
                        We're not really looking for a consult and install, as much as we're looking for someone to help us put together a possible equipment/pricing list.
                        You're walking the right path, I'll say that. One reality that seems to escape most in church leadership is the foolishness of hiring a company to consult AND install. A company cannot both serve your best interests as well as their own. However if you hire an independent consultant, they are being paid to simply have your best interests at heart. It won't hurt their paycheck to line item veto the equipment list.

I have consulted dozens of churches, but primarily in audio and lighting. I have only a few years experience with projection and multi-camera video feeds. Also, I'm about 2000 miles away. But here's some tips to potentially finding someone who can help. Try local community colleges. Many offer video, audio, etc. courses where you may find a willing student or teacher. Also try high-end electronic stores that may sell some of the equipment. If you find a knowledgeable salesman, ask if he/she would be willing to consult. I will qualify these suggestions with the reality that a significant percentage of the people you meet will probably think and act like they know more than they actually do (tech guys sometime have big egos, in case you hadn't noticed.) But these places greatly increase your chances of finding a willing, helpful soul. Keep us informed on this topic.

Comment

I would not go with the joint vendor/consultant because you can never be sure if you are getting the best spec OR the product that gives them the highest margin of profit. I only use non-vendor consultants (like acoustic dimensions etc.) for this type stuff.

Comment

Okay, since this is the second post like this I thought I should jump in here. There is absolutely nothing wrong with going with a design/build contractor. There are many reputable ones out there. I understand the thinking that has been brought up, but the truth is that some (dare I say many) consultants do indeed have something to gain by specifying a certain brand of equipment. There are incentives given by manufacturers for some that specify their product, if a consultant specifies it, it is as good as selling it, for you then find the installer that will purchase what the consultant specified. This is the world we live in. Just do your homework by contacting the vendors client's. I had my own design/build business for thirteen years and now I do not sell any equipment. I have also worked as an end user using design/build firms as well as an independent consultant, all of which are very reputable and have done a fine job for me. Honestly, the one I have used multiple times is the design/build firm, though I am the one doing most of the design work.

Anyhow, please don't shy away from a design/build firm just because they are that. Check them out first just as you would a consultant.

David Cherry
                            Shoreline
                            Austin

Comment

Ampro, True and there are incentives on both sides. We just got out of a situation in our new building where our installer (who also offer a system design/build which we declined) kept trying to persuade us to options different than the consult who understood exactly what we wanted. In some cases the consultant spec'd us "limousine" stuff (ikegami cameras which was just stupid expensive and not needed) and the installer recommended a "camry" option. On other things, the installer would "margin us" and offer something of a quality level we were not willing to accept (I had a former exec of the install company in my church who knew their volumes). This isn't the first rodeo I have been through on this. I LIKE the tension between the consultant and a totally separate contractor because we would hear dissenting opinions which we could decide for ourselves.

In past experiences, it seems like pure consultant companies push the envelope for new technology (sometimes too much to be honest) whilst the design/build systems (run with the tried and true, which is good, but sometimes a new solution is needed). The tension served us well. From inside information, I feel the margins for profit for using a certain product is compounded more by the design/build guys (since they make for spec'ing just like a consult and in the mark-up on purchase which they get for a bang up price because they tend to spec in volume. Not saying both don't make money, the design/build guys just have higher mark-up potential earnings.

Obviously others might have different experiences. As one who has been through two large building projects (newest one with 1.8 million dollar AV system), I'd definitely go with separate entities every time...though others, including you, might differ...that is fine.

Comment

Working...
                              X