Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volume Pedal for Laptop

Hi all!

I am struggling to find an answer online for how to do this but surely someone out there would know what to do?

I use a MacBook to run Ableton Live Lite for looping ambient pads during worship. I also have a pedalboard for my guitar. What I would like to do is to add a new volume pedal (preferably the Dunlop Volume X mini) to my pedalboard that will work solely to control the volume of my Ableton Live loops.

Before you throw out options like using the Line 6 USB MIDI pedal setup, I am not interested in that. I want a very simple, single volume pedal that won’t take up much space on my pedalboard and the Line 6 is too large.

I have read online that the impedance of the laptop and the volume pedal I want to use don’t match and so it will not work very well together? Before I spend the money, I wanted to see if someone else had already figured out how to make this work? I don’t care about other functions within Ableton and adding more footswitches, etc. I really am only interested in a typical volume pedal.

Here is what I was thinking about doing: MacBook headphone jack => Hosa stereo to mono cable => Dunlop Volume X mini pedal => Radial Direct Box => FoH

Does anyone see any reason why this wouldn’t work for me? The Hosa cable I found would sum the left and right output of the MacBook headphone jack to a mono signal to send through the pedal.

Thanks for your help!

Matt

I'd look at something like this:
    https://www.amazon.com/MIDI-Solution.../dp/B0002GH9BK

That will let a real volume pedal get mapped to a master volume in Ableton, then you won't have to worry about messing with more things in the audio signal path.
    Travis Paulding,
    Production & Technology Director, St. Simons Community Church
    www.sscommunitychurch.com
    twitter.com/tpaulding

Comment

Thank you Travis!

Matt

Comment

Travis,

As a follow up question to your post, would I need to use a TRS cable (stereo) out of the “Expression” port on my pedal into the 1/4” port of the MIDI solutions box? If not, how would I need to hook up the pedal to the MIDI box? I looked on their website and it was not clear?

It is my understanding the Exp port on my Dunlop Volume X mini is setup for a stereo TRS cable.

Thanks.

Matt

Comment

Working...
        X