Playing drum tracks live

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playing drum tracks live

While I continue to wait on the Lord to bring the drummer I would like to start introducing some drum tracks into the worship service. I have a DAW on my home desktop with the Virtual Instruments and midi keyboard to create the specific drum tracks for a song. My question is now what. How do I, in a live setting, select, start, stop these tracks?

My first thought is to put the completed tracks on a MP3 player and have it sitting on a stand/stool by me. I assume I can run an 1/8" - 1/4" cable from the headphone jack into a DI or powered DI and then feed it into the mixer. Is there a better way? Any help would be appreciated.
    Glenn

Originally posted by Hillsman View Post
    While I continue to wait on the Lord to bring the drummer I would like to start introducing some drum tracks into the worship service. I have a DAW on my home desktop with the Virtual Instruments and midi keyboard to create the specific drum tracks for a song. My question is now what. How do I, in a live setting, select, start, stop these tracks?

My first thought is to put the completed tracks on a MP3 player and have it sitting on a stand/stool by me. I assume I can run an 1/8" - 1/4" cable from the headphone jack into a DI or powered DI and then feed it into the mixer. Is there a better way? Any help would be appreciated.
    When we use loops, we play them from a laptop. We run a stereo cable out to two di's. In the DAW, the drum track is panned hard Left, and the right channel has a click track. We have used garageband or itunes, but we usually only do it for one song in a set. If we were using them more, I'd want to get Ableton live, and then you can extend parts on the fly.
    Please check out my Christmas Blog at www.12daysofjesus.blogspot.co.nz

Comment

We're pretty much doing the same thing as Ben with our tracks (we use click tracks for a lot of our songs that have supplemental keyboard/guitar parts on them, as well as synthy drum loops). I have a program on my netbook that's designed as a podcasting/radio soundboard, but actually works really well for this. It lets me assign key commands and individual volumes to each track and then put them in order. I load up my set list and trigger each track as we start the song. Stereo split to two DIs. Works well for us.
      Eric Frisch
      www.ericfrisch.com

Comment

Thanks for the posts. I just want to be clear that I am not using one loop for the entire song but a series of loops tied together to make a drum track. I don't have a laptop so I'm looking to make due with what I have. Do you think the MP3 player would work or will the quality be too low?

My other concern has to do with how am I going to smoothly transistion from song to song as I sing/lead with my guitar? Certainly I would start off by introducing this for a single song and practice, practice , practice with multiple songs but I am looking for wisdom from fellow leaders. If this is a single song option then fine I will wait upon God to provide the resources for the equipment needed. Thanks for your input, it really helps to have such a large group to pull ideas from.
        Glenn

Comment

Originally posted by Hillsman View Post
          Thanks for the posts. I just want to be clear that I am not using one loop for the entire song but a series of loops tied together to make a drum track. I don't have a laptop so I'm looking to make due with what I have. Do you think the MP3 player would work or will the quality be too low?
          The quality would probably be ok, as long as you had your loops saved in a high quality format. I've used an MP3 player before without a problem. My concern in this case would be flowing smoothly from one loop to the next. With most MP3 players, there really isn't a way to switch from one track to a different one instantly, so you'd end up with a little hiccup (or a big one!) in your drum part when you switched loops.
          Eric Frisch
          www.ericfrisch.com

Comment

Thanks for the input, I'll approach the sound guys this weekend and come up with a plan for a single song.
            Glenn

Comment

Originally posted by efrisch View Post
              The quality would probably be ok, as long as you had your loops saved in a high quality format. I've used an MP3 player before without a problem. My concern in this case would be flowing smoothly from one loop to the next. With most MP3 players, there really isn't a way to switch from one track to a different one instantly, so you'd end up with a little hiccup (or a big one!) in your drum part when you switched loops.
              Folks,

I too use the laptop concept.

I would encourage you and others who are wondering about mp3 players to check out APARAE drum software (APARAE: Performance Software for Drummers). It can specifically advance the tracks cleanly, hold volume settings for each track, and provide charts, etc, for your drummer.

Forflex.

Comment

Working...
              X