Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ableton Live - I just made the plunge

Hey Everyone -

I just made the plunge and commitment - I got Ableton Live 6 .. I plan on using it this weekend as I'm a guest WL at two churches, neither place where I'll have a band.

I posted a blog about it here ... below is a copy/paste:
    with Ableton …. Live 6 that is.

I did it. After years of downloading the free trial of Ableton Live, messing around for a few minutes or hours, and then moving on and neglecting it .. I finally did it. I made the commitment. I took the plunge. I purchased Ableton Live 6.

I’ve been spending the latter part of this week checking it out, reading up, studying, practicing, looping, etc. (which is the main reason I’ve been blogless for a few days, among other reasons like fighting hackers again).
    Well, I can truly say I now understand the hype and fuss over this software - especially as applied in live worship. While Shannon (our Associate Worship Director) leads the 3 worship services in our main auditorium over at St. Simons Community Church (eureka! did I actually LINK to my church … does that mean there is FINALLY a website up! .. yes .. although it still has quite a few bugs … we’ll have those worked out soon) … I’m going to be a guest WL in Dublin, GA at a couple of different churches.
    First stop tomorrow morning is World Harvest Church in Dublin, GA … the entire worship team there is gone to Forward ‘07 so they asked me to come as a guest Worship Leader and minister. I’m excited, but with no band I wondered how it would go. I intended to just do some spontaneous “Worship Interludes” type ministry, but really wanted to break the ice and find common ground by singing some more well-known worship songs. Since I’ve been wanting to use some loops at my church (even in the smaller settings, like staff meeting worship) I’d already been thinking about investing some of my “CT-Creative Time” [see this post] in learning it .. then, when faced with a weekend of leading worship with no band .. .I decided it was time to make the plunge. Now, I’ll do a second PM service in the same town at The Sanctuary in Dublin, GA.

I’ve been practicing this weekend and I think I’m ready .. I’ll play my Yamaha keyboard and will have a fully interactive band with me in Ableton, sporting right out of my beloved Lappie (MacBook Pro).
    Big kudos to Greg over at Digital Worship and Phillip, the owner of InteractiveWorshipLive.Com. Greg has a site dedicated to making loops and discussing the use of loops and Ableton, and he’s become a great resource and new friend over email, “IM”, and he’s going to help us with a dedicated forum on loops at TheWorshipCommunity. Phillip has a company where they produce full Ableton Live Sets which include all the multiple tracks to each song, professional recorded by studio musicians … and “covered” just like the album. The songs are very reasonably priced, and I bought 3 songs and cashed in on my 1 free song credit, so I got 4 fully produced songs in Ableton Live complete with click track, keys, bass, electric guitars, acoustic guitars, organs, drums (real, acoustic drums), drum loops, and more. I can mute what tracks I don’t need. I can loop the Chorus again if I need to - Live, on the fly. They even have BGV’s!
    So, I have really tight, full sounding, complete interactive band arrangements loaded in Ableton to my first four songs in my setlist .. after those, I’ll break and move into a more intimate, piano/strings type worship, meditation, prayer, ministry.

Albeton Live Set:
    1 - Everyday (Lincoln Brewter Arr)
    2 - O Praise Him (David Crowder Band Arr)
    3 - Everlasting God (Tomin Arr)
    4 - Holy is the Lord (Tomlin Arr)

I’ll be blogging more on this resource shortly, but in the meantime, THANKS GUYS!

For the Kingdom,
    Fred
    Fred McKinnon, Pianist/Composer/Worship Leader
    blog: www.fredmckinnon.com

Please check out my piano/instrumental music at:
    www.soundcloud.com/FredMcKinnonMusic
    www.youtube.com/c/FredMcKinnonMusic

Glad to hear it worked so well!

You called me on Wednesday and you we're running a whole set that Sunday! Nice work Fred!

Comment

Hey Phillip!

Welcome to the forums! So glad you are here, and hope we can send you some business! Actually .. I called you on Thursday, haha! I couldn't have done it without you!

For those who aren't putting it together - the post above is from Phillip, the President of InteractiveWorshipLive.Com .. check it out!

God bless,
      Fred

Comment

I've been considering the plunge myself. Post back the details on how you're getting along with it once you've had the chance to use it in a live worship environment.

Thanks,
        -Jeff

Comment

I took the plundge with reason a little while back and havent had the time to really get it going...how did it go for you?

Comment

Me TOO!

I also plunged head first into Ableton! Wow, what an awesome tool. I completed my first track in about 3 hours yesterday. Doing the same thing in Sonar would have taken me all weekend. Not that I'm giving up my Sonar, but it's nice to have a tool that I can now use live. Still need to put a bunch of songs together. Don't have anything planned right now, but you never know what God has planned.

I have a link to my first track on my web site, www.robwing.com .

Thanks for the info,

Rob

Comment

Rob -
              Very cool - how much of that stuff is the built-in sounds, and how much is you recording a live instrument?

Comment

The drums are the built in sounds. The organ, strings and bass are Dimension Pro, the rest is me. I tried using operator, but I just can't seem to figure out the analog thing. In time, I hope to learn that too.

Comment

Fred - how is it going with Ableton??

Comment

Hey Chris,
                    Honestly, I've not had a need to use it in a while - I need to get going with it again ... just got some more tunes from IWL.

Comment

I use Ableton for my live tracks... and what's neat is taking something you built and consolidating the tracks to different files... here's why. I have it set up right now so I can open up "IanTracks" and then I have my ENTIRE SET in one file. I use clip mode (make sure to disable Warp on the clip settings... we won't use tempo in this situation). And then I have separate audio tracks for each thing I want a channel for... sooo... i have one for click, sub bass, stereo left right, and a spare guitar channel in case I need it. Then i can assign the activation for ALL of the clips for the same song to a key on my Oxygen8 and then they all start at the same time. So it looks like this...

I hit a key on my Oxygen8 labeled "You Are"... 8 clicks then either the drummer clicks or we start. All the tracks come in at the same time, separate channels... then when the song ends, I hit a different key labeled "Fully Loved" and we're off! Point being... it's easy... and it's one file rather than 11.

only downside is there's an arrangement... but I kind of like arrangements anyways.

Ian
                      Jesus Culture Keys / Ian McIntosh Music

Comment

This sound pretty easy to manage. I have not had a lot of chance to play with Ableton...cause I don't have time, but I want to start digging into iT. I've had it sitting in my computer for 2 years. Sad...I know.

You've just got me thinking...I am going to have to break it open.

Comment

I've loved it the few times I"ve used it ... I've been buying songs from InteractiveWorshipLive and they work great!

Ian ... I'm going to start a new thread in a second about USB/MIDI controllers - I need to buy one for my office, and would like more input on the Oxygen 8.

Fred

Comment

Ian (or whoever else)
                            See this thread ... re: USB controllers. ... don't wanna take THIS thread off-topic:
                            http://www.theworshipcommunity.com/f...ead.php?p=7248

Comment

Ok I just asked about Ableton in another post, but I found this thread so here it goes. I looked at the website and basically it's an audio recording program. What's the rave? Hasn't this stuff been around for forever? I guess the question I really am wondering is, why use this over musicians, doesn't that kinda defeat the purpose of musical composition and team work?

I am not actually against using this, I am just posing some questions that have been thrown my way.

Comment

Working...
                              X