Looping on stage - Reason?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looping on stage - Reason?

Hello all - I am not sure who here uses loops or what, but I am needing some advise -

I am thinking about using Reason with my MacBook Pro - much like David Crowder, but I was hoping someone here new about this kind of technique so that I could learn from someone else who has done the leg work!

Thanks

I've been using Reason on stage for click/loop tracks for about 3 years now. I LOVE it. I've actually just started incorporating abelton live. I'm blessed to have a couple drummers that have great timing and the rest of the band is able to stick w/ the track really well. If your not using it, I'd strongly advise it.

Comment

So describe

well - consider me an idiot, and tell me what the difference is between abelite and reason, and do I need both

How are you running it, do you midi into it, and trigger on your keys, or do you use a laptop -
      How do you send separate click tracks?

Thanks - I know a ton of questions - I am a newbie - kind of

Comment

I would love to see a "Complete Idiot's Guide to Ableton Live for Worship" - for all the talk about this stuff I have never seen a real entry-level introduction to this whole thing.

I consider myself pretty well-versed when it comes to tech stuff, we use click/loops almost every week at my church but I'm still not sure I get the whole Ableton looping thing.

Comment

So clicks and loop tracks
          How do you trigger them, what level of worship do you use them?
          I really am entry level on this - i have used logic, I can hold my own, but I have NEVER used loops or click track - how does this work, what equipment do I need?

Thanks guys - all this is so helpful

Comment

go to interactiveworshiplive.com/training/
            they offer good training on using abelton live for worship.

i use Reason 4, Logic 8, and Pro-Tools to create loops/tracks. Then i put them into the timeline in Live using an M-Audio 410 as my interface. It gives your sound guy complete control over all your outputs.

Comment

Originally posted by benandnili View Post
              So clicks and loop tracks
              How do you trigger them, what level of worship do you use them?
              I really am entry level on this - i have used logic, I can hold my own, but I have NEVER used loops or click track - how does this work, what equipment do I need?
              We have been taking baby steps in this area over the past couple of months mostly because I'm bringing my musicians up to speed.

Right now we buy click tracks from Praise Charts - www.praisecharts.com/clicks

They take the CD arrangements of most of the popular worship stuff and build click/loop tracks from those. You can buy the tracks for $4.99 each - great deal!

Here's how I run them - you can google each of these programs to find out where to download them. They're free.

1. I take the mp3 and open it in Audacity. Because it's a stereo mp3 file I can separate the right and left channels.

2. Delete the loop (let's say that's left) channel and save the click (let's say that's right) channel as a wav file.

3. Undo the delete and do the opposite - delete the click and save the loop channel as a wav file.

4. Open Mixcraft and import the click and loop wav's on different channels. Make some adjustments so that neither the tempo or key of either click or loop are being changed by Mixcraft. (Play around with this software to figure out what I mean.)

5. Send the audio from the audio out on the computer to an RCA cable - put each "side" of the audio in a different channel. ie. Right (click) in channel 10, left (loop) in channel 11.

5. Run the click channel to drum and bass in-ear monitors - do NOT send click to the house or wedge monitors.

6. Run the loop channel to the house and all monitor channels.

I have the click/loop running on my laptop at our main mix console at the back of the room. This is NOT a loop/midi solution like Ableton so there is not a need for real-time triggering.

Basically during rehearsal we work out a cue with one of our sound guys so that they know when to hit play. There is one bar of click and then one bar of count-in "1.. 2.. 3.. 4.." on the click channel so our drummer counts along with the count-in so that the rest of the band knows when to come in.

We have worked with our audio guys so that they can hear if we get off the click. I do not need to signal them at all - when we are doing a song with the click the only job for one of our guys is to listen to the band and listen to the loop and to fade the loop if the band loses time. We've only had to do this twice in maybe 18 or 20 live situations.

Comment

Chris,
                What a great intro/recap, man .. thanks for putting so much time and effort into writing that. That sounds like a great idea.

The PraiseCharts link didn't work - I went to the main site, but didn't see anything about loops or clicks.
                Fred McKinnon, Pianist/Composer/Worship Leader
                blog: www.fredmckinnon.com

Please check out my piano/instrumental music at:
                www.soundcloud.com/FredMcKinnonMusic
                www.youtube.com/c/FredMcKinnonMusic

Comment

I don't know much about using Reason or anything else, and you guys may think I'm a bit naive in saying this, but I play keyboards, and the Yamaha Motif is a wonder! It probably takes a little more work initially (sequencing and all), but on stage there's not much to think about if you know which buttons to press. I am a worship leader and I don't think I want to use anything else. If the guitarist or drummer or bassist can't show, the Motif is a one-man-band! (of course to play bass and piano at the same time I use another keyboard unless I want the same riffs over and over...BORING!)
                  Anyone else share my sentiments?

Comment

Originally posted by twc_admin View Post
                    The PraiseCharts link didn't work - I went to the main site, but didn't see anything about loops or clicks.
                    Whoops -

http://www.praisecharts.com/clicktracks

Yes - they don't make the clicks easy to find.

Comment

www.digitalworship.net, under the Ableton Live In Worship. There's a series of 7 articles that sure helped (and are still helping a year later, as I re-read) me start understanding....and I AM a complete idiot at all this, so...there you have it!

Comment

Hey y'all, I was reading what you were posting, and wanted to throw a resource your way. I am actually putting some stuff up on my blog/site regarding this.

www.themonobox.com is the address.

I actually have a post specifically about running a click track for live worship using Ableton Live. Using Ableton, it is absolutely unnecessary to buy a click track. I have a tutorial (video) specifically about click tracks... it is here:

http://themonobox.com/?p=27

I have made it my personal goal to help folks from churches into the whole loop/ableton live/reason world, and to help them along in the process, so seriously...if any of you have any specific questions, please feel free to post a question here on this forum...Additionally, if you want to you can email me...my email is mattjhuber@gmail.com. I am here to help any of you get into the world of loops and whatnot. I firmly believe that the church can really benefit from all of this.

I've made several loops for worship, and I'm working on posting all of those on the site as well...just want to help in any way I can....

Anyway...rock on y'all.
                        Last edited by Mattjhuber; 05-26-2008, 05:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mattjhuber View Post
                          ...Using Ableton, it is absolutely unnecessary to buy a click track.
                          Thanks Matt. I always like hearing how others handle this. I've picked up so many tips that way.

I agree that no one needs to buy clicks. Loops, yes, I can see that. Could save a ton of time, if you don't like building them yourself or aren't fast at it, but the sounds that come with Live provide a ton of great stuff for making one's own clicks.

As for how we use them...
                          I like to use stereo outs, to take advantage of the panning and other stero effects. Some electronic instruments sound so much better in stereo.

So I got a simple analog/digital interface from M-audio. I send the regular Live stuff out on channels 1/2 and my "click" (which is usually just a shaker sound I like) out on channel 3.

Then, the sound guys route 1/2 as usual and they send 3 just to our monitor mix. So we can hear the click, but the audience can't. As long as we use a diffused sound that doesn't have too much bass in it, we can even do this without in-ear monitors.

Our crowds are not screaming their adulation between songs, so this works fine for our situation. Also, we don't have a regular drummer right now, so most of us don't drown the click with the noise we're making. Live is our drummer and when those sounds start we don't have any problem hearing them.

Comment

Click Tracks

Hey guys - just responding to some of the click tracks discussions. I've produced and used click tracks live for quite a few years now in a worship setting. At first I started using them with my korg triton - sending out a seperate 'click' to the drummer and the sequence to our sound guy. For the last couple of years, I've been using Reason to produce tracks.

If you're interested, I'm one of the Click Track producers with Praise Charts and we've currently got 130 tracks available at a great price. You can check out more info at http://www.praisecharts.com/clicktracks

I think they're great - easy to implement and a fantastic way to take your band to a new musical level (especially your drummers!)

Comment

Cory,
                              Thanks a ton - it's great to have you here ... hope you can bring a lot of great info for us!
                              Fred McKinnon, Pianist/Composer/Worship Leader
                              blog: www.fredmckinnon.com

Please check out my piano/instrumental music at:
                              www.soundcloud.com/FredMcKinnonMusic
                              www.youtube.com/c/FredMcKinnonMusic

Comment

Working...
                              X