Over-the-ear Mic for Worship Leader?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Over-the-ear Mic for Worship Leader?

So I'm toying with the idea of using an over-the-ear mic. Not the big Garth Brooks type but the invisible Countryman type. Anybody have any experience with this? I just don't like being tied to a mic stand when I'm leading and I'm usually playing guitar (electric and/or acoustic). I'd like to be able to move more. Our stage is MASSIVE compared to most (for example, we hosted Big Daddy Weave recently and do major tour concerts and productions frequently that require a stage usually 20' x 30' so that may give you an idea of our space.

If so, what has been your experiences?

NOTE: I can see how this thread could get turned into a discussion of should the worship leader move as if it were a concert or "performance" or not. I respect either side but that is not this thread's purpose. Feel free to open another thread on the topic but do not take this one there, if that's ok. I just want a technical overview (did it cause mix/sound issues with EQ coloration and such angles). Thanks for your help in this.

I'll say up front that I haven't actually tried this, but I think your stage volume is a major consideration here. The difference between the "Garth Brooks" style mic and something like a Countryman is that the larger headsets are unidirectional and put the mic right in front of your mouth. They are going to reject a lot more of the off axis sound than the smaller, omnidirectional mics. I'd imagine that the actual sound quality of this kind of setup would probably be fine for singing, but if you're using wedges, amps, unshielded drums, etc., the outside noise could overwhelm your vocals very quickly.
    Eric Frisch
    www.ericfrisch.com

Comment

Efrisch hit the nail.. If you are going to do it, I'd recommend the Garth Brooks style for this very reason.. Though, personally I wouldn't do it.. I always thought guitar players looked silly with them (Garth included).. Piano player, sure.. Drummer, yip..

Comment

Eric pretty much summed it up. While the Countryman e6 sounds great, I wouldn't try to do use it (or any similar style mic) on stage with wedges or live instruments. You need a Crown cm311 (garth brooks & britney spears) to reject bleed from other sources. This mic is also very popular with singing drummers because it does reject bleed from other sources extremely well. Just keep in mind that with a headset mic, you can't get away from it quickly...this can be an issue if you have to sneeze, cough, etc while wearing it.
        ((Matt))
        Drummer & Technical Director - Carolina Bays Church - Little River, SC
        Owner - G.A.S. Powered Productions
        "When you are down to nothing, God is up to something"

Comment

Originally posted by chrisburke View Post
          I always thought guitar players looked silly with them (Garth included).. Piano player, sure.. Drummer, yip..
          LOL! The exact reason I want the countryman. I'm not at all interested in the other style. It does look goofy, though I think Peter Gabriel does have the persona to pull it off. I think we could probably get a pretty good sound. I don't use wedges. May get some instrument bleed but I my voice projection is very focused and strong. I don't think we'd have to run it so hot to get the dB out of it. The "always on" may be my biggest issue. I don't wanna cough in the congregation's face. Plus, many times I'm giving some stage direction musically here and there. But I think I'll play with it and see what happens.

Comment

Since you have a strong voice, you may be able to use one with acceptable results. Countryman makes different caps which change the pattern & sensitivity of the mic. Its worth experimenting with.

For the sneezing/coughing/etc issue, look into a mute footswitch such as the Whirlwind MicMute or ProCo CoughDrop.
            Last edited by MustangsAndDrums; 02-07-2012, 10:20 AM. Reason: more content
            ((Matt))

Comment

Are these controllers wireless?

Comment

Originally posted by Moosicman View Post
                Are these controllers wireless?
                No, they connect between the receiver & the mixer. I'm not aware of any wireless solutions on the market.
                ((Matt))

Comment

You'd need a receiver that has an in and an out though in order to run a cough drop..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by chrisburke View Post
                    You'd need a receiver that has an in and an out though in order to run a cough drop..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                    All you would need to connect a coughdrop or micmute to your wireless mic is a regular old xlr mic cable from the receiver to the cough drop input, then another xlr cable from the coughdrop output to the mixer or snakebox.
                    ((Matt))

Comment

Originally posted by MustangsAndDrums View Post
                      All you would need to connect a coughdrop or micmute to your wireless mic is a regular old xlr mic cable from the receiver to the cough drop input, then another xlr cable from the coughdrop output to the mixer or snakebox.
                      you are right.. sorry.. my brain isn't in a good place today.. i smoked it really hard yesterday and am pretty sure I have a concussion

Comment

I've played (keyboard) and sung with a headset and it is FABULOUS!! But I am expressive and move heaps when I play, so I find a headset is a lot more user-friendly. I have used the Madonna-type mics, I think it was a Crown (mentioned above) and it sounds great. The Countryman is more for preachers I think, our ministers use them and I wouldn't recommend them for singing.

Personally, I would rather a headset over a mic stand any day. I think it's just preference - some people prefer the stand as it helps with posture etc. But I like to MOVE. Definitely get a foot mute switch though, otherwise you can just do it by hand with the mic pack that site on your belt.

Hope this helps
                        Steffie

Comment

Originally posted by Moosicman View Post
                          So I'm toying with the idea of using an over-the-ear mic. Not the big Garth Brooks type but the invisible Countryman type. Anybody have any experience with this? I just don't like being tied to a mic stand when I'm leading and I'm usually playing guitar (electric and/or acoustic). I'd like to be able to move more. Our stage is MASSIVE compared to most (for example, we hosted Big Daddy Weave recently and do major tour concerts and productions frequently that require a stage usually 20' x 30' so that may give you an idea of our space.

If so, what has been your experiences?
                          6 years ago I showed up at my first paid worship leader position and was handed a Countryman e6. At first I thought "Way cool", but quickly realized why most people don't use them. Here's why I quickly ditched mine:

1 - mic technique goes completely out the door - can't get in close for some proximity effect, can't pull back when you have to belt

2 - as stated, no way to get away from the mic (without running cables all over for foot switches)

3 - very limited on mic/capsule choice

4 - this isn't super critical and definitely subjective, but it just doesn't look "current" - kinda like a keytar

Comment

Working...
                          X