communications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• communications

so, my church had a special event, lots of people to and fro, multitasking musicians and such needing told when they're needed, and I found myself thinking, "we need walkies or an intercom system or something." Does anyone here have building managers or production managers that communicate with each other this way instead of just a few people running to get so-and-so or this-and-that? What kind of devices are you using? I'm thinking about asking for walkies and in-ear pieces so as not to disturb the service. (maybe secret agent style! XD )

I would suggest InterComms instead of Walkie Talkies for several reasons. First of all, that's what Comm systems are made for....there are several who deal in the staging market alone, like Anchor, Telex, and Clear-Com. Secondly, 2-way radios COULD interfere with your equipment, and produce undesireable results...similar to sitting your cell phone close to your computer speakers. Thirdly, With your "secret-service" ear piece, you aren't going to have a lot of isolation from ambient noise. With Comm systems, you typically wear a full muff over at least one ear, if not both......this helps provide enough isolation so that you can actually hear what is being said, and not having to turn your radio all the way up just to hear it. Fourthly, a 2-way radio can only work one person at a time: You talk, then they talk, then you talk, etc, etc. Comms work on a Party-Line system, so everyone can talk at the same time, like a telephone....which is good for several reasons. On a radio, if two people talk at once, they cancel each other out, and nobody gets heard. Also, if you are giving directions to several people at once, it's easier for them to acknoledge when they can just say so, without waiting for dead air, and worring about stepping on someone else's signal. Lastly, a safety issue....if you have someone who needs to report an emergency of some type, or at least has an important question, they can break in at any time on a Comm....with a radio, they must wait until all talking is complete before they can break in. In a moment where safety is a concern, that waiting period may not be an option.

Comms are a little more expensive, especially if you get good quality gear, or a lot of wireless units....but it's well worth it. I hope this helps!!

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Ogden View Post
      Comms are a little more expensive
      you ain't kiddin'! WOW! unfortunately that kinda $$ isn't in the budget for next year. that's why I was hoping to do walkies. we could do $120 for 2 sets of family walkies, you know the ones with "security channels" that everybody using the same channel and privacy code can hear, and 4 earpiece/mic sets. I do see the problem with morse code style beeps in the amps and having to wait to talk instead of partyline. I wasn't thinking of emergency calls or super important ?'s though, just a -

sanctuary director: hey south 2(or whatever) tell the pianist she has 2 minutes to get back to the stage

or-

south 2: hey north 2, the kids party needs some extra cups from the kitchen, could you run them up, please?

something to simplify the morning and not look so frazzled and disorganized.

that is a lot of great info to chew on for now though, thanks.

Comment

If i can give my few cents here...We use several methods.
        * For stationary groups on computers we use iChat via bonjour so you don't need an internet connection.
        * For people moving around we use talkabouts (from costco, 1 pair is less than $50).
        * For our tech crew that needs full duplex, we use clearcom. Clearcom is definitely pricey but it's a very worthwhile investment. We scour ebay and craigslist for deals on used gear. Since the economy wasn't doing so well we got a lot of old gear from road companies that were going out of business or some people who were upgrading their gear.

Comment

Originally posted by johnko View Post
          If i can give my few cents here...We use several methods.
          * For stationary groups on computers we use iChat via bonjour so you don't need an internet connection.
          * For people moving around we use talkabouts (from costco, 1 pair is less than $50).
          * For our tech crew that needs full duplex, we use clearcom. Clearcom is definitely pricey but it's a very worthwhile investment. We scour ebay and craigslist for deals on used gear. Since the economy wasn't doing so well we got a lot of old gear from road companies that were going out of business or some people who were upgrading their gear.
          I welcome all the change I can get!

1. we don't have stationary groups on computers.
          2. which model talkabout? there's tons of 'em. short range, long range, batteries or power pack, cheap or expensive...
          3. ebay and craigslist are great ideas, as soon as I bring up the topic, it gets discussed among staff and various entities for a couple months, brought before the church as a capital campaign, and the money is raised.... we can spring for the clearcom or telex or something.

Comment

I think what you're looking for in the interim is probably like the talkabouts that you can get at your local costco:
            Costco - Motorola FRS MR350R Quiet Talk? Filter Two-way Radio 2-pack

and i'm sure you can get any other packages similarly like on amazon. or elsewhere. these are quick/dirty and will get what you're looking for done.

If you need to move around a lot then the clearcom systems you're going to want are going to be REALLY pricey for sure.

definitely fully duplex (like talking on the phone is very nice) but if your budget doesn't allow it this might be a simple alternative. give it a try. you can also return electronics at costco up until 6 months now i think.

Comment

Working...
            X