Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading Computers or Changing Platforms

The SHORT:
    - looking for specs for presentation and video editing computers on PC or Mac
    - looking for what you are using to get the job of computer presentation and video editing accomplished in the local church

THE LONG:
    I have been asked to do some research on upgrading the PC computers presently in our worship center that assist with presentation and video editing. With this in mind, I am trying to begin looking at options that I can suggest. In my visits to a few other churches I have noticed several moving to Apple/Mac based applications and computers. Others are using applications and PC computers. We are presently running older PC's and using EasyWorship as our presentation software (version 2007) and video editing is being done through an older Windows NT system running a program called "Trinity".

We would like to have the ability to acquire the video and audio feed, which we presently do to DVD, to video and audio servers or computers in order to edit the video and audio for web based sermon resources, worship services and prepare for a local 1 hour TV production. We also would like to develop a team that would assist us with live streaming as well.

If we would stay with a PC based setup I am looking for us to consider using Adobe Suite for recording and editing and either EasyWorship or MediaShout for presentation. Can someone offer specs that reflect the new Windows 7 coming out and that would handle the above applications for video editing, live streaming and live presentation on PC.

In looking at moving us to Apple Macs, since I have been away from Mac's for a while, can you make suggestions on specs for a Mac based system for video presentation and then a separate computer for video editing. I am assuming we might use ProPresenter or MediaShout as presentation and then Final Cut Pro for editing, streaming and preparing items for our tv show and web based files.

What's your take? If in my shoes what might you do? In addition, if your a techie, what are the specs you are looking for in a PC or Mac based system for the future? I am all ears, but have been asked to move quickly on submitting proposals to our finance team.
    PC Presentation - EasyWorship
    28.57%
    PC Presenation - Media Shout
    14.29%
    PC Presentation - Other
    0.00%
    Mac Presentation - ProPresenter
    28.57%
    Mac Presentation - Media Shout
    0.00%
    Mac Presentation - Other
    0.00%
    PC Editing - Adobe Creative Suite
    0.00%
    PC Editing - Other
    14.29%
    Mac Editing - Final Cut Pro
    14.29%
    Mac Editing - Other
    0.00%

The poll is expired.

At SSCC we are almost exclusively Apple. We started making the switch in 2005 and all computers purchased since then have been Apple. We have one staff member still on a Dell desktop and three children's ministry check-in computers are Dell desktops as well. 19 of our 20 staff are on Apple computers of some sort (MacBook, MacBook Pro, iMac or MacPro). We use 6 iMacs and one Power Mac in our 3 live environments. We use ProPresenter and ProVideoPlayer for all presentation needs on a normal week. Occasionally we will use Keynote for a presentation brought in by an outside speaker, otherwise we put our sermon/teaching notes in ProPresenter. ProPresenter is putting out a major upgrade in a couple weeks that will really make it unbeatable presentation software. I HIGHLY recommend grabbing that and making the switch to Apple. An iMac with a 256MB video card is plenty of horsepower for anything you throw at it with ProPresenter.

As for editing machines, the options are pretty wide as well. We use Final Cut Studio and After Effects for editing at SSCC. I do the majority of my Final Cutting on a Quad 3.0 Mac Pro with 8GB of RAM and 512MB of VRAM. It handles everything very easily. Another staff member does some editing on a 20" iMac with 256 MB VRAM and 4GB of RAM and he has had very few issues with his projects being slowed down. I also do some editing on my MacBook Pro with only 2GB RAM and 256MB VRAM. Final Cut runs fine there as well, I feel more handicapped by the 15" screen than anything else.

If you are doing motion graphics (Apple Motion or After Effects) then you want to beef up the VRAM and RAM more than you need for FCP. Short animations in After Effects can still bog down my Mac Pro, I wish I had a bigger video card for that. If you are going to be doing a lot of motion graphics/effects then I would strongly recommend beefing up a Mac Pro and going that direction for your editing machine. Otherwise, a 20" iMac with an additional external monitor would be a great editing machine.

Let me know if you have more questions.
    Travis Paulding,
    Production & Technology Director, St. Simons Community Church
    www.sscommunitychurch.com
    twitter.com/tpaulding

Comment

If you go with Mac, literally any of the current machines will have enough power to run video editing...well, maybe not the Mac Mini. Just make sure you have 4GB of RAM and you'll be fine. If you have the budget, make sure you have a dedicated graphics card.

With Mac, you get to use ProPresenter, which at current version 3 is far better than anything else out there, and they're about to release v4 this month.

If you stick with PC, I can't speak for specs, but I can definitely say to stay away from EasyWorship. In my opinion it's the worst available. I haven't used MediaShout any time recently, but I loved it back at v2.5 when I was still using a PC.

Comment

Why Other Software vs. Mediashout

does any one have any compelling reasons why Mediashout for PC is not the best package out there for PC?

Thanks,
        Brian

Comment

Working...
        X