High pitched whine.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High pitched whine.

Okay, so I finally got my Carvin AE 185 out and brought my amp to practice. I put one output from the guitar through a DI into the system, the other to the amp. The problem is that there was a high pitched whine through the system. I realized that when I unplugged the power cord to the amp the whine stopped. The whine was there whether the amp was turned on or not. As soon as I unplugged it the whine went away. I tried my other guitarist's amp with the same result. I'm not sure what the problem is. Please help.
    Last edited by Mike Darley; 07-25-2008, 12:03 AM.

As a Drummer, I first had to look up what a Carvin AE 185 evevn was....I wasn't sure if it was an amp or Guitar. Commence laughing.

That's an interesting scenario, of which I can only think of a couple things. First, I assume you were sure that you used the 'input' jack on the amp. ( I know...sometimes it's the small things, though). Secondly, although it doesn't sound like a ground hum, was the power source of the Amp a good one? Did the other guitar players amp ring when He played HIS guitar through it? The only other thing I can think of, is that your jacks are wired wrong. Typically, when there are two jacks like that, they are wired in parallel. In this application however, they shouldn't be....they should be seperate internally. If you ever had it worked on, could the repair person have wired them in the typical parallel fashion? If they are parallel, then your amp is trying to act as the source, running through your guitar, and then into the system...possibly causing the noise. Are they active pickups? Another thing that causes odd HF rings are dying 9v batteries.

That's all I can think of. A guitarist may be able to add to this, but that's all I've got for now.

Comment

I think it might be something with the wiring with the room. Every other instrument that is plugged in has a slight whine unless we use the ground/lift switch on the DI. The problem is that my DI (L.R. Baggs Para DI) doesn't have one. I like the sound from the L.R. Baggs besides that so I'd hate to give it up.

Comment

Then get one of those grey ground pin eliminators for the amp...it's like 30cents at Wal-Mart. It does the same thing, but allows you to keep your DI.

To eliminate this problem, you technical power system should share the same ground, but be isolated from the rest of the buildings ground. So, your whole sound system (including outlets on stage for amps), should share the same ground wire, which will eliminate the problem. If they aren't, or you are sharing a ground with computers, vacuum cleaners, etc, etc, you will get the issue you have.

Comment

Yeah, my first thought was that it is a brounding problem... there are many different solutions to this problem, http://www.zzounds.com/item--EBTHUMX

I got this HUMX Eliminator for free at a gear show a while back and it works amazing. I would recomend this for every team. plug on into the wall, and then plug in your power strip/surge protector...

If you can't afford the $60 price tag, just scan the web I am sure there are alternatives.

Comment

Ok, anytime you have a nagging issue, start from the simplest setup possible and add elements. Plug your amp into the wall and your guitar into the amp. Is the problem there? If not, add complexity until you find the problem. However, here's my thought process:

1. Since your buddy's amp did the same thing, its probably not your amp.

2. Does your guitar have to be plugged in to create the whine? If the whine is only there when the guitar is plugged in, it may be your guitar, but only if it does it even when not attached to the house sound system. Also, try only mic'ing the amp, or running it direct to the board independently to see if that does anything.

3. If the guitar does not have to be plugged in, you may be plugging in to an outlet that shares a circuit with flourescent lights. Ground faults, in my experience, are a hum, not a whine. A couple of options would be to purchase an AC (alternating current not air conditioning) filter or to simply plug your amp into a wall outlet on a different breaker circuit.

Based on your gear and what you posted I think option 3 is the most likely. This is a hugely common problem. Rooms that have sound systems should never have wall outlets on the same circuits as lights. Silly architects and electricians do it all the time, though.

Nathan

Comment

If you are running direct to FOH why are you hitting the amp as well. It isn't coloring your tone in the house and it could be deluding you into what sound is actually in the house. Eliminate the amp and run straight back through a wedge or inears and option????

Comment

I'm actually just going to be getting a POD x3 Live so I can just two the two separate xlr outs into the system. I found out my guitar can use a TRS cable like Brent's and split the signal through the POD.

Comment

You will love it. I still love the sound of real amp BUT Lincoln's new project was entirely recorded on the new Pod.

By the way, a burning new pedal is out by Line Six. Mark, our guy, is a tone freak-he even makes them change the rubber seals on his speakers...he sold a slew of high end mod-ed botique pedals to get the M13. I was skeptical but he was right, burning good.

http://line6.com/m13/

Comment

Yeah, I was looking at it a while back. It looks sweet, but I like to XLR outs on the POD x3. It seems like M13 would be better for going into an amp, while the POD would be better going into a system.

Comment

My buddy has a vintage re-issue Fender Strat and a Fender Deluxe Reverb with near on $1000 worth of pedals. It takes him forever to get tweaked prior to church.

I have an Epi LP and a POD X3 and mine sounds better. Oh yeah, and I can do all my tweaking at home and be ready to go on time.

Nathan

Comment

Originally posted by NLoomis View Post
                        My buddy has a vintage re-issue Fender Strat and a Fender Deluxe Reverb with near on $1000 worth of pedals. It takes him forever to get tweaked prior to church.

I have an Epi LP and a POD X3 and mine sounds better. Oh yeah, and I can do all my tweaking at home and be ready to go on time.

Nathan
                        That's what I'm talking about. The only thing I'm nervous about is that I'm not terribly good at "tweaking". I guess it'll come with time.

Comment

You'll learn how to tweak either way. Buy the "real" rig and it'll take you twice as long. With the software, I can tweak my POD on my computer, where I can see all the components and the signal chain. It's not bad.

Start with an artist you want to sound like. Figure out what kind of amp they use, dial it into your POD and play with it till you like it. Add an effect at a time. You'll learn as you go.

Nathan

Comment

Part of the fun is
                            getting there!

tweak away my friend,
                            tweak away.
                            I didn't mean to be inaccurate, but I wasn't trying to be precise.

Comment

Or really cheat and download lincoln brewster's predone patches...ha!

At heart I am still a purist, but the pod thing works well for brent and i as non-primary lead players.

Comment

Working...
                              X