Tech Crew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tech Crew

We are currently in a 100+ seat sanctuary and will be moving to a 600+ auditorium within 12 months. I am trying to grow our volunteer tech crew. I want this established as close to “right” as I can get, from the get go. What are your methods and suggestions for recruiting and what are your expectations for techs? Do you have written guidelines? I’ve read some threads here on training that have been helpful and I feel we are on the right track there. But need some of your thoughts on the items mentioned. We are in a rural area and good help is hard to find-any help is hard to find- so it’s hard to say no to anyone willing. But we want to strive for excellence. Thanks for your input.

Volunteers are a commodity on most tech teams. I have yet to find 'the perfect method' for growing a team. I know what works best are personal invites. If you have a couple volunteers who ask a couple friends you can fill in your spots pretty quick sometimes.

Leverage your new facility, people will already be curious about what you are going to be implementing and how you will be doing it. Make a few announcements about what opportunities you will have and make sure you make people feel like they have what it takes. The times I have made announcements I have tried to oversimplify it, "if you can click a mouse, we can use you."

We have four areas where people can serve on Sundays. Sound, lights, video presentation and "producer." I encourage people to pick sound, lights or video and check out wherever they are most interested. From that, we get to see their abilities and they get to see how all the stuff works. I have identified my producers through the regular positions and also gotten volunteers to shift around in spots once they are on board. I haven't had to ask anyone to step down from a spot. The few times I have had someone that wasn't a good fit, they knew it and moved on themselves.

Also, think about the qualities you need and find those guys. If you know of some guys that are big into music, they COULD be a great sound guy. They know what good music sounds like, they just need to be taught how to manipulate the console to get the desired effect. Some other guy may be great with electronics and you just need to train his ear.

Hope this helps!
    Travis Paulding,
    Production & Technology Director, St. Simons Community Church
    www.sscommunitychurch.com
    twitter.com/tpaulding

Comment

I was there. Small church, less than perfect volunteers, and big potential. Best thing I can tell you is to make yourself and your department approachable. If YOU are good at what you do but have no volunteers to train because they aren't positive that you're approachable. I was there. I wasn't trying to be unapproachable but yet I was. Once I lightened up and quit running them off I got some trainable folks.

You mentioned slim pickings of volunteers. When I was a youth in my small church I started running sound for "big church". A sixteen year old had someone believe in him and here I am on church staff (different church) almost ten years later. Your answer may be to get a couple high school kids who are into music and believe in them. Don't be afraid of the lack of quality you will/might get. It's a growing pain. Remember when you accidentally pressed "mute" during the pastor's sermon? I do. I did. Growing pains. Learn to expect them. I got a handful of problems last week with some trainees. It made my Sunday hard and stressful but they are another step closer to being able to fly on their own. I'm ok with that.

I hope this helps. If we haven't answered like you need please ask some more.
      Be Awesome for God!

Chris Moncus
      Personal Blog | Chris Moncus Photography

Other places to find me:
      flickr | FaceBook | Twitter

Comment

Thanks. Yeah, I’m working with a couple of High school kids one Jr. High too. They seem more interested than the adults. But of course they are not as responsible. They have GREAT potential. It’s an honor to have the chance to influence them some at this stage of their lives. The other ideas are excellent, I'll start on those right away. Once you get them on board do you have written Guidelines or, dare I say, RULES? What works? What hasn’t? Thanks again.

Comment

umm .. no YouTube or Facebook on the sound booth computers?
          Fred McKinnon, Pianist/Composer/Worship Leader
          blog: www.fredmckinnon.com

Please check out my piano/instrumental music at:
          www.soundcloud.com/FredMcKinnonMusic
          www.youtube.com/c/FredMcKinnonMusic

Comment

Rules without reason are, well, just rules. The key phrase that needs to be learned by all managers of volunteers is "buy in". No matter how many times you tell Joey to stay off of Wikipedia during the sermon he's gonna keep doing it because he hasn't bought it. When Joey finally got hold of the big picture and understood that his, as well as the attenders', relationships with God were at stake and one accident may kill the moment where God was getting a hold of someone's heart - he became more attentive.

The spill goes something like this:
            "The body of Christ has many parts. All are equally important. Your role as sound/video/lighting tech is as important as the Pastor's. In fact, your position gives you much power. You have the power to ruin a service by turning off the pastor's mic during the sermon. You also have the power to enhance the service and create an environment where lives can be changed. God has gifted you and trusted you with a great responsibility. Therefore, we've written down some things we've found will help you stay on task, get better at what you do, and enable you to shine."

Or something like that.

It's worked for me. Some of the youth that received it have stepped up to bat even more because they realize "I'm not just pressing buttons. God's using me to change lives."

It's all about changed lives.
            Be Awesome for God!

Chris Moncus

Other places to find me:

Comment

Dan you have received some great info already. Here are a few things we do:
              -setup a display table twice a year in the lobby that illustrates what we do and allow people to sign up to get involved, the table is manned
              -Place a high value on the things that they value, like family time, training, time with the gear, etc.
              -Don't work them every service (even those that want to)
              -Make it very clear WHY we do what we do
              -Expect them to do things they never thought they could do, believe in them, set the bar high
              -Pray for and with them, like it or not, you are now pastoring these folks

God knows your needs and I believe He will give you the wisdom, knowledge and grace to make it happen they you have dreamed it.

David Cherry
              Shoreline
              Austin

Comment

Thanks for all the great input, everybody. Very useful stuff.

Comment

Here's an idea I had for "nerd bait" that worked really well!

http://www.chrisfromcanada.com/?p=91
                  So basically I took apart a small 4-channel mixer, laid the pieces out on a 6-foot table and waited. I knew that anyone coming to the table and hanging out for 10 seconds would have some kind of tech interest and so those guys would by my prospects.

I’m excited to say that in the two weeks since we did that experiment we have had THREE guys who are not currently serving in any ministry area sign up, get trained and get placed on our A/V schedule. Yesssss!!

Comment

Wow! Nerd bait.

That made me smile.

I'm honestly amazed at the simplicity but effectiveness of your table. Thanks for the idea bro.
                    Be Awesome for God!

Chris Moncus

Other places to find me:

Comment

check out undistract.com
                      It is a great worship tech blog that will answer any question you have out there. Go through and find the checklists for worship-it is amazing.

Comment

Working...
                      X