Building a new Worship Center, need advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building a new Worship Center, need advice

Hey guys we are building a new worship center that will seat 2000 people. We are busting at the seems and have 50 new families visit each sunday. As Worship Director I am in charge of the lighting (buying lights, figuring out the creative process, installing). Do you guys have any ideas? Heres what I am going to get, 8 Ellipticals (for worship), 8 floods (for pastors), 8 intelligent lights (elation), 4 blinders, 8 LED tvs, and a bunch of LED cans and flatt panels, strips, etc. What do your stages look like? any ideas or comments? I need help!!!

Alan Keen

Are you working with an integrator? I highly recommend using an integrator and relying on forums and relationship to help tweak what you like. There are communication and infrastructure things within a lighting system and it will pay off big time in the end to make sure that you have a system designed to work well together.

We do not have any moving heads or crowd facing lighting. We have basically broken our stage down into 10 zones and each zone has conventional spot & wash front lights; red, white, and yellow conventional back lights; and RGB LED back lights. Our speaking position has extra coverage with a 2nd spot and 4 more fresnels.

In addition to the 10 zones we have conventional red, yellow, white, and RGB LED stage washes, and more ellipsoids and fresnels for set pieces and scenic.

Your preference and budget will be king in this. I'd suggest getting less gear but better stuff over getting more options but cheaper.
    Travis Paulding,
    Production & Technology Director, St. Simons Community Church
    www.sscommunitychurch.com
    twitter.com/tpaulding

Comment

I definitely agree. The stakes are too high.

If you try to 'wing it', there is a big risk that you are either going to go overkill and spend thousands (even tens of thousands) of dollars you don't need to or even worse, you underestimate, buy something not correct, and no money left to get it where it needs to be.

There may be some up-front cost to having an integrator come in, but, as they say "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure". If it costs you $1000 to save $5000, it's worth it.

Look around for reputable people too- some consultants/integrators are really salespeople in disguise, so use diligence.
      If we want to go places we haven't been, we will have to do things we haven't done.

Comment

Jonathan Malm runs www.ChurchStageDesignIdeas.com. Hit him up for a recommendation of folks to talk to that run production on the scale that you do (that you will!).

With your permission, I can shoot him an email.
        Last edited by jackswords; 06-28-2014, 04:36 AM.
        @iamjskinny
        blog

Comment

Thanks guys you have helped a lot!!

Comment

I would suggest investing in bringing in an expert, there are plenty of companies that will design a lighting layout that works for your space. You can throw a bunch of different types of lights in and turn them on, ya, but if you get an expert lighting rep in and let them give you some options it will probably save you money and make your energy intake more efficient, but it will also look amazing. You're best starting slow and starting with the basics and taking your time and doing it right rather than buying a bunch of stuff at once and then finding out you don't use it regularly. I suggest contacting some local reps.

Comment

Working...
            X