Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My fave partial capo arrangement for 'D' songs

Hello!

I was playing around with the traditional hymn "Holy Holy Holy." In doing so, I inadvertently stumbled into a guitar sound I've yet to discover. This takes songs in the key of 'D' (or 'E' ... all the way up to 'G') and makes a sound that is edgy (like a cut capo arrangement), but also more glorious.

You will need to (1) tune your guitar down a full step. (2) a Double-Drop D capo (covers four strings), and (3) a "third-hand" capo. In lieux that the third-hand capo is not made anymore, I recommend you take a used "cut-capo", and carve it so that the third string from the top, alone, gets covered. Or (set up the third-hand capo to do the same).

I'm only a fan of the spider-capo (which does the same thing as a third-hand capo) if you plan on removing the majority of hammers and having it rest on your fourteenth fret. But that's another discussion.

In short, put your Double-Drop D capo on the second fret.
    And put your 3rd-hand capo on the ninth fret, covering the 3rd string.

Play in D, but have the 6th string remain open, whenever possible. It gives a powerful ring.

You don't have to learn new chords... just remember to leave the sixth string open, and feel free to play all six strings.

Most major-key chords are a combination of Roots, 3rds and 5ths. The order of these notes on a guitar (one of the variants of the CAGED system) drastically changes the tone of a song. A C-song in the form of the "C" chord has a much different tone than the C-song in the form of the "A"-chord on the third fret, or the "E" chord up the neck. These tones are simply different variations of the order of R,3, and 5.

The traditional cut-capo actually made strides (is edgier), simply because it's a combination of R and 5. The 3 note (g#) is nowhere to be seen in a cut-capo E. Removing this gives it an edge. So a cut-capo E is the following: R5R55R.

If you play D songs in the format that I mentioned above, it takes on this form: R555RR.
    All of the ethereal sounds in this key are bunched together. They make for a masterful central key, both edgy and also more ethereal than the cut-capo sound.

And when you play the other chords in the song, the lone "5" note (a), gets inserted in all of the other chords. Most of the time this adds to the sound.

D + a = D
    G + a = G2
    A7 + a = A7
    Bm + a = Bm7
    Em + a = Esus4
    F#m + a = F#m

This works great for worship songs in the key of 'D', that aim for a "holy" and yet forthright tone.

Nick
    P.S. If I were to make a video that would demonstrate this, would this be a help?
    Nick Alexander
    Host, The Prayer Meeting Podcast
    Worship that is Contemporary, Traditional, Charismatic, Contemplative, Spontaneous, based on the Church calendar, play it whenever you want.
    Find out what Nick Alexander can do for your conference, retreat or workshop.

Yes! Please do a video!
    Love ONE woman...MANY guitars!

www.davidsproblem.wordpress.com

Comment

I'm on the verge of getting a video studio set up by the end of this month. My only caveat is that I want to be certain the sound levels work. It's been too slow... so slow that the third-hand-capo got discontinued in the process!! [ugh].

I'm still acoustic, so I hope that doesn't throw any modern worship leaders off. I'm more Pete Townsend than The Edge.
      Nick Alexander
      Host, The Prayer Meeting Podcast
      Worship that is Contemporary, Traditional, Charismatic, Contemplative, Spontaneous, based on the Church calendar, play it whenever you want.
      Find out what Nick Alexander can do for your conference, retreat or workshop.

Comment

I am more of an electric guy than an acoustic guy myself, but I like having lots of arrows in my quiver, Nick. Keep on doing what you do, because you are a valued resource.
        Love ONE woman...MANY guitars!

www.davidsproblem.wordpress.com

Comment

Working...
        X