Using multi-effects pedal as worship guitarist

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using multi-effects pedal as worship guitarist

Hi, I'm Brandon and I play guitar for my church in VA. I recently bought a Digitech RP1000, its an integrated effect system, multi effect board. I just started playing guitar a little under a year ago and this is my first time not using stomp boxes while playing electric. What are your thoughts on using this multi-effects pedal? Do any of you use a multi-effects pedal for worship?

I use the RP500- same as you got with one row of switches instead of two. I run an XLR to the board and the left 1/4" out line to a powered floor wedge for my monitor. I play a Squier strat with hot-rodded pickups and an Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro through it and it does a good job.

Personally, I really like mine. That being said, I think there are some important things to know.

One, it will take a little time to get dialed in. There are a LOT of tweaks to EQ, amp & cab selection, and pedal models. It took me 6 months to tweak and tune to where I could get it to sound like I wanted. The presets are kinda ok for some things, but I had to do a lot of trial and error.

With that, take advantage of the X-Edit software. The online community of user patches has some pretty useful stuff. But it'll take some time to really know how to tweak and tune things.

One thing I will say is that in my experience, the amp models seem to have the 'gain knob' cranked pretty high and strange EQ. I've found that backing the 'amp gain' off a bit and putting the EQ more neutral/even helps let the natural sound of the guitar come through. Actually most of the effects sound a lot better if you dial them back a bit. Then use the distortion and compression to get some more dirt out of it.

The effects I use on mine are a touch of chorus, the Univibe for some cleaner stuff and some Tremolo. The delay works pretty well- I use the tap tempo quite a bit- one of the reasons I got this pedal was for the tap tempo footswitch. The reverb is good but you have to watch it if the sound guys are adding reverb and you have heavy reverb, it can get pretty muddy.

The best thing I can do with it (which also took me the longest to dial in) was do a 'staged' dirty channel where the starting point was a little bit crunchy for doing rhythm guitar and fills, add a Tube Screamer distortion (dialed back to about half to 2/3 of max) that gets dirtier but only a little louder for short riffs, then a Boss compressor model that gives a bit more volume boost for a nice & dirty lead/solo sound with feedback, etc. But the key is, it only gives small volume increases. This makes your sound crew happy- you get to stand out a bit without splitting ears where they just yank you down so far in the mix no one hears you.

For a clean channel, I like to use some Univibe for the 'swirly' sound and I don't really add much except for the distortion I use the sparkle drive model which fills it out a bit and lets it cut through the mix better. This is where I usually use the delay.

One of the most annoying things I've dealt with is it seems everything had noise gates turned on pretty high. This really hindered things when you are trailing off and letting that note ring out and the noise gate cuts it off, killing your sustain. I turned all the noise gates off.

Mine's also done a couple quirky things- like when I plug it in, it powers up, and go to the tuner, it doesn't mute the output. I turn it off and back on, it seems ok. I've also had it dime all the EQ on my channel after plugging it in. I practiced and it sounded awful, so I started looking through the preset and all the EQ settings went to '10'. I fixed that, back in business.

Really, to get the most out of it, spend some time with it. Especially dialing back some of the gains and effects (especially distortion) levels really helped mine sound like a guitar rig and not a wall of mud.
    If we want to go places we haven't been, we will have to do things we haven't done.

Comment

effects are fine as long as they are used to enhance the performance not distract. The biggest issues I see most new users of effects run into are:
      1) focusing on the effect rather than on improving as a player
      2) keeping the relative volume of the patches similar. Sound men can go crazy trying to figure out in real time how to adjust effect volume changes made by a guitarist with a pedalboard
      3) having a patch that works well when playing alone at home but finding it doesn't work well in a mix (record yourself, it helps). I touch on that in this post

Comment

Working...
      X