!-- Beacon Ads Ad Code -->

Sponsor Ad:

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What capo do you use? (+ quick review of G7th capo)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What capo do you use? (+ quick review of G7th capo)

I knew it would happen some day, but after a respectable 5 years or so I've finally lost my $40 G7th capo (I'm surprised I made it that long).

The G7th capo somehow managed to market itself or establish a reputation for being the "best capo" out there. While it was great for its instantly adjustable tension (helping with tuning issues), and its sleek unobtrusive design, the things I didn't like about it is that it's not really a quick-change capo. There's easily an awkward 4 second gap between changes, accompanied by a distracting "ping" sound as you release it.

Before buying a new one, I wanted to throw the question out there: what capo are you all using? I'm eyeing the Dunlop Trigger capo right now. What's important to me is that I can change it quickly and that it doesn't cause tuning discrepancies by clamping too tight.

Originally posted by waitin4winter View Post
    I knew it would happen some day, but after a respectable 5 years or so I've finally lost my $40 G7th capo (I'm surprised I made it that long).

The G7th capo somehow managed to market itself or establish a reputation for being the "best capo" out there. While it was great for its instantly adjustable tension (helping with tuning issues), and its sleek unobtrusive design, the things I didn't like about it is that it's not really a quick-change capo. There's easily an awkward 4 second gap between changes, accompanied by a distracting "ping" sound as you release it.

Before buying a new one, I wanted to throw the question out there: what capo are you all using? I'm eyeing the Dunlop Trigger capo right now. What's important to me is that I can change it quickly and that it doesn't cause tuning discrepancies by clamping too tight.

I would have never said the G7th Capo is the best... I think the trigger capo is because it is quite simply the best easy remove, easy key change, easy everything capo. It won't last you 5 years though more like 1 and a half. :P haha

Comment

I tend to use the old faithful... Kyser Quick Change. I have a few (including a white one with a little cross on it, an a shortcut)

I also have a G7 Nashville that was a total waste of money.

Comment

I use the Kyser on my acoustic & the Shubb on my electric & ukulele. Both work well for my purposes. My favorite capo was called the "Bird of Paradise", but unfortunately mine wore out and they don't make them anymore.
        Eric Frisch
        www.ericfrisch.com

Comment

I never tried the G7 Nashville. What was wrong with it?

I have a Kyser and the problem I have with it is that the grip is so strong that it pulls my guitar slightly sharp, which is an issue when changing between songs and playing with other in-tune instruments. Otherwise it makes for a very reliable back-up.

Good news is that someone returned my G7th capo. So my streak (of not losing my capo) will continue.

Comment

I'm not much of a Capo man myself, but I recently got a Shubb C1N after handing over my trigger style capo to another band member. I have to say I'm really impressed with it's simplicity, adjustability and small, unobtrusive size.
            The Posse Band live performance tracks can be heard by CLICKING HERE

Comment

Originally posted by waitin4winter View Post
              I never tried the G7 Nashville. What was wrong with it?

I have a Kyser and the problem I have with it is that the grip is so strong that it pulls my guitar slightly sharp, which is an issue when changing between songs and playing with other in-tune instruments. Otherwise it makes for a very reliable back-up.

Good news is that someone returned my G7th capo. So my streak (of not losing my capo) will continue.
              The Nashville doesn't have enough tension, at least not for any of my guitars.

Maybe it's just my particular capo, but he white one I have (which was labeled a "limited edition" but you can buy them everywhere, it seems) has a slightly less tension than my standard black ones. I find it better for my electrics, while I use the standard on my acoustic.

Comment

Working...
              X