Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help w/ midi output purchase

Hello Everyone,

Hope I'm posting in the appropriate area.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what would be a good purchase for me?

I have an M-Audio Delta 66 soundcard in my computer, a Delta Series Omni i/o box connected to the sound card where I plug in my mic and guitar. I also have a midi controller keyboard which is run and powered through a USB into the computer.

The Omni i/o has a plug in the back for midi output.

The keyboard is an M-Audio MK-416C Evolution and is a midi controller but has no sounds or speakers. I also would need to buy software for the sounds. I have a trial version of Reason but don't know if that is the best thing I should buy.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Should I buy something to go along with the midi controller keyboard - or get rid of the keyboard and just buy something that will do everything? - - hopefully nothing too expensive.

thank you and blessings

Carol,
    You never really said what you want to do but since you described your computer and interface components I have to assume you want to record.

I have been using the Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) Reaper FM and have been very pleased, especially with the price ($40). It has a lot of effects included in the program and yet takes only 24MB of disk space. I have also found free share ware virtual instruments that I play through my midi controller at VSTPLANET - VST Plugins Free - Virtual instruments and effects .

Hope this helps

Glenn
    Glenn

Comment

I would spend $75 on Acoustica Mixcraft for a good starter DAW and virtual instruments you can control via Midi. Its easy to use and actually pretty powerful and gives quality results for most home recording applications. If your mic is substandard buy a Blue Snowball for about $65 which also does a good job of recording acoustic guitar. That plus what you have would be enough to do some cool stuff at a cheap price.

Sent from my Milestone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Hillsman View Post
        Carol,
        You never really said what you want to do but since you described your computer and interface components I have to assume you want to record.

I have been using the Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) Reaper FM and have been very pleased, especially with the price ($40). It has a lot of effects included in the program and yet takes only 24MB of disk space. I have also found free share ware virtual instruments that I play through my midi controller at VSTPLANET - VST Plugins Free - Virtual instruments and effects .

Hope this helps

Glenn

Hi Glenn,

Thank you for your reply. I am recording audio now and I want to also record midi but I have no midi output. I will check out what you mentioned.
        I have Cakewalk Homestudio 2004 recording software, which I forgot to mention. I do appreciate your suggestions.

Blessings...c

Comment

Originally posted by MarkSnyder View Post
          I would spend $75 on Acoustica Mixcraft for a good starter DAW and virtual instruments you can control via Midi. Its easy to use and actually pretty powerful and gives quality results for most home recording applications. If your mic is substandard buy a Blue Snowball for about $65 which also does a good job of recording acoustic guitar. That plus what you have would be enough to do some cool stuff at a cheap price.

Sent from my Milestone using Tapatalk
          Hi Mark,

Thank you also for your reply. I will also check out what you have suggested. I've several good mics and usually plug in my guitar. Its the midi stuff I'm trying to figure out now so I do appreciate some ideas from people who already use it.

Blessings...c

Comment

I use soft synths and samplers on my midi keyboard. They sound far better than most workstation keyboards. I use Reason and sample libraries like Ivory for piano, Symphobia, and East West Quantum Leap orchestral stuff.
            Companies like Garriton have inexpensive sample libraries. They require a moderately fast computer, and a lot of disk space though.

I also use, and Highly recommend Reaper for the DAW program. It is only 40$ for a personal license, and free to try forever. I does most everything ProTools does, short of surround sound, and is far more stable than sonar on my system..... And it comes with free plugins that sound excellent.

The delta will make a nice front end for a DAW rig, but may be limited to Windows XP, which is great for audio. The other side is good quality studio monitors.

Here is some Production stuff I did for my last Church with the midi rig.
            d6.html <---

The reveal for the new name when two churches merged to become a new Church. I did the flash, soundtrack and the new graphics and logos

.... and a simple transition flash video
            d7.html <---

Comment

Hi Willie,

Thank you for posting this info. I will look into all of what you wrote. I'm still learning what all this is and does - and I've only got so many hours a week to look at it.

Wow, you did great work with the audio and visual on those links! Very impressive!

I might post more questions later as I'm learning more.

Thank you again and blessings...c

Comment

Carol
                Thanks for the kind words ..... those pieces were quite rushed, schedule wise.
                I would be glad to help if you have questions.

The Reaper DAW folks reaperFM, have a nice forum with hundreds of audio professionals that love to help.

Your cakewalk program will probably work well for midi though, I used it for years.

Be so blessed in your midi adventure!

Comment

Thank you very much, Willie. I do appreciate it!

Blessings....c

Comment

Working...
                  X