Amp Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp Upgrade

I currently own a 50 watt Groove Factory Acoustic Amplifier, I was using it because I was Leading Worship and couldnt do what I was meant to do. But (Joy) a couple of other Worship leaders have assembled their own Bands and have asked me to stand in as their Lead Guitarist. YAY!!! finally get to do what I was mean to do. But, need to upgrade to a better amp, at least a 100watts. Have heard some great Feed back on the Line 6 Amp or the Randall, cant afford a Marshall just yet?? Recently came into possession of a Fender Strat. A Sweet Instrument for sure. Very fast neck, smooth action was thinking of maybe a Line 6 Pod XT live and??? what kind of Amp??? any suggestions???

Joseph:
    Last edited by Uriel; 01-30-2011, 01:55 AM. Reason: Spelling errors. lol

100 watts, thats a lot of power! I've owned a Fender Twin Reverb and besides the weight that amp is LOUD! Seriously I just went from a Fender Supersonic 60 watt to a Supersonic 22 watt and we play with plenty of volume and I am only on 4 or 4 1/2. Tube vs solid state will make a difference also, as I believe you will need double the watts for a solid state to equal a tube amp in volume.
    Good luck!

PS: I also recently bought the Pod HD300 and for the price you should give it a good look!
    Last edited by Deuce; 01-30-2011, 08:22 AM.

Comment

100 Watts? What size venue? I've got an all tube 50W Laney head with 4X12 cabinet and can't get it over about 2 or 3 on the master volume without drowning everything else out.

Once I got tired of lugging that beast around I decided to try the POD X3L. Once I did some reading on the Fletcher Munson effect and started tweaking the EQ curves I began using it exclusively for live playing. It's nice to just be able to send a direct out to the board and not worry about mic'ing a cabinet and lugging around all the extra gear.

Of course it's not as cool as having a Bogner Uberschall or Diezel Herbert sitting on the stage, but it sure makes the set up times easier and makes it a lot easier on our sound guy as well.
      Last edited by JS_280; 01-30-2011, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Agreed on the POD thing. Tube guys say what they will, the convenience and flexibility of these things cannot be beaten. To make no mention of the consistency of having presets.

I wouldn't go with an X3/XT though. They are great units, but the new generation (HD x00) has been released and you can probably expect more support from the new units, especially in a couple of years. Besides...who can ignore new algorithms?

And yes...your sound guy will love you for it. Work with him/her to get the sound you need on stage, and they'll thank you for giving them a little more control.

As far as an amp, if you DO go the POD or similar route, you want something that is acoustically transparent. A small, self-powered PA speaker from any of the big manufacturers will probably serve you well, especially if on a budget. I simply use a Roland CM30 cube monitor...a little lacking in heavy bass response, but it is small, loud and I can mount it on a mic stand. If you HAVE to have a big ole tube setup and money is no object, look at Atomic amps by Fractal. Expensive...but SO worth it. They sound amazing.
        Last edited by hitchface; 01-30-2011, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JS_280 View Post
          Once I got tired of lugging that beast around I decided to try the POD X3L. Once I did some reading on the Fletcher Munson effect and started tweaking the EQ curves I began using it exclusively for live playing.
          I'd sure love to hear more on this.
          I need pictures of your drummer in his booth/cage/room http://drummersbehindglass.com

Comment

Originally posted by travisvwright View Post
            I'd sure love to hear more on this.
            I know there's much more qualified people on here than me to talk about this, but I'll give it a shot until they chime in...

Fletcher Munson Curves or "Equal-Loudness Countour"

Basically the Fletcher Munson effect says that the human ear is more sensitive to certain frequencies dependent upon the overall volume.

If you look at the curve, note the 1000Hz mark...that is the reference point.

So for example if you look at the very bottom curve you'll see that the 1KHz point is just above 0db (we'll call it 1db). If you follow that same curve you'll see that on the far left the curve is at approximately 72db and on the far right (red line not dashed) the curve is at approximately 12db. What this is saying is that if you listened to a 1KHz tone at 1db volume you would have to crank a 20Hz tone (far left) up to approximately 72db and a 20KHz tone (far right) up to approximately 12db to have the same perceived volume.

If we move to the top curve, you'll see that the 1KHz reference tone is at approximately 100db. If you follow that curve to the far left, your 20Hz tone only needs to be pushed up to approximately 128db and 20KHz to (estimated) 109db to obtain the same perceived volume.

In other words, the louder the volume, the flatter the frequency response our ears have...

The reason this can be important is because if you're dialing in tones at bedroom volume on your amp, POD, multi-FX unit, etc. you're going to crank the bass and treble controls quite high to get a good sound. When you take that same patch and crank the volume up to live stage levels, it's normally going to sound like mush...way too much bass and way too much treble.

Something you can do to assist yourself while building tones at low volume is to have a post-EQ setup behind your patch. If you're using a POD or other multi-FX unit you generally have one built in. What I have done (may not work for everyone) based on suggestions from people far more experienced in Acoustic Theory than I am is to build an EQ template that allows me to build my patches at bedroom volume that makes the signal chain sound like it will at live stage volume. With my POD X3L I basically just build my patches with the EQ template turned on, then when I want to play live, turn the EQ off.

Did I explain that well enough or did I manage to confuse everyone?
            Last edited by JS_280; 01-31-2011, 02:15 PM.

Comment

The pods are great, but I've come to use an Orange Tiny Terror. I run it through a 1x12 and leave a cab at my church (I managed to get a knackered marshall cab for home use) so on sundays I only have to take the head in with me. It takes my pedals really well and sounds sweet! The only thing is, without spending more money on the Dual Terror, you do need some form of drive pedal.

But thats where the POD comes into play if you don't want to build much of a pedalboard!

Comment

Thank you JS820. That great information to have, I'll go do some more research.
                I need pictures of your drummer in his booth/cage/room http://drummersbehindglass.com

Comment

I use a randall rm100, basically it's like a modeling amp that models with tubes, and your are limited to 3 models at a time. I run it at 50W with 2 tubes pull. Most versatile real amp you'll find.
                  Live Blessed!

Comment

I'm also in the X3L camp. A little over two years now. Since the POD does the amp simulation, I use a keyboard amp for volume. I use two Roland keyboard amps. A small one for stage monitor, and when I mic the amp. And, I have a bigger keyboard amp for when I need to fill a bigger room.

Comment

You'll find 100 watts is pretty cranking - 15 watts is usually plenty. The Hillsong guys are all using 15-30 watters. My friend Jamie played Lakewood church last year, with an 15 watter.

If your heart is set on an amp modeler like the Line products, then you might as well just use that with a DI box. Why pay for an amp and an amp modeler?

However, if you like that valve sound (and I really do) then your best bet is probably a 15-20 watt valve combo, and a few good pedals for overdrive, tuner and delay.

Personally, I've got a Fender Bassman-style amp with a 12in Celestion. Some times I run stereo, with a Vox AC-15 as the second amp.
                      Please check out my Christmas Blog at www.12daysofjesus.blogspot.co.nz

Comment

Working...
                      X