X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worship Snare Drum??????/

Hello everyone

i relay need to find a snare drum that sounds great in worship songs
    i have know idea where to start i have a VERY small budget of 90!!!

PLEASE HELP!
    God Bless

Thanks
    Dale Gough
    FretLessUK.com

A little more information will make it a lot easier to help you...

Obviously, how good a drum sounds is going to be fairly subjective... what I like may not be what you want. What are some of the bands/songs you're listening to and playing? That would help with an idea of what kind of sound you're looking for.

The options in your price range are going to be fairly limited, but there are several companies making pretty solid instruments in that range (both wood and metal shells). Whatever you end up with, keep in mind that head choice and tuning are going to make a huge difference on your experience with the drum.
    Eric Frisch
    www.ericfrisch.com

Comment

Worship Snare Drum

I agree with Eric...your question is too vague to give an informed answer. A better question would be about what type of snare drum works for a particular style of music. I play for many different styles of worship and have drums for each style, in fact I may even use more that one snare in the same service. My "go to" snare is a 14x5 1974 Fibes that I use for about 75% of my playing, but if we're doing a big ballad I break out a 1950's era WFL with a 14x6 maple shell; if I know we're going to be doing more funky stuff I'll us a little 13x3.5 maple Porkpie. Often I'll have that one just to the left of my hihat leg. Past that I also have a collection of metal shells that might come out of the closet once a year or so.

Then you have the issue of which heads to use.

Having said all of that and looking at your budget it sounds like you're looking for something that will be generic and workable for many situations. Speaking frankly, you're going to have a very hard time finding a quality snare in your price range.

I suggest that you start visiting pawn shops (do you have those in the UK?) or start looking in shops that sell used equipment. New doesn't necessarily equal better. The most sought after drums are usually older. If you keep looking you'll find a gem that the seller doesn't know anything about. The WFL I mentioned earlier I got in a trade from a missionary music school. It had broken heads and no snares. I gave them a good student model snare drum with a snare stand, music stand, 1/2 dozen sticks and a lesson book in Spanish (the school was in Mexico). After replacing the heads and the snares I've been offered over $500 US on several different occasions and has been borrowed several times for studio sessions by other drummers.

By the way, I suggest purchasing cymbals the same way. Cymbals almost always sound different after they've been used and have a chance to "settle down." Many drummers by a brand new cymbal and then don't care for the sound it takes on after it gets some stick residue and dirt into it...and that dirt never comes out completely. Because of that, I've never purchased new cymbals and most of the compliments I receive are about the sound of my cymbals.

Anyway, sorry to go on and on. Good luck in your search. Hope this all helps.

Comment

i reli like this sort of sound ...

YouTube - Soul Survivor 2010 - Tom Field - Saviour of the World

Comment

The snare drum in the video looks like a 14x6 (may even be a 14x6.5) maple Nooble and Cooley, based on the cylindrical brass lugs. That's an excellent drum, indeed...although rather expensive. I owned a 14x5 back in the day, and played several others, and loved all of them. I couldn't see the heads, but they sound like Remo Coated Ambassadors (keep in mind that the EQ and compression of the video is altering the sound somewhat; I would guess that the actual sound is a bit brighter).

The WFL I described in my earlier post provides a similar sound.

Having heard that you like that sound I would suggest looking for a maple shell. If you find a 14x6 then it should be easy to replicate that sound with a Remo Ambassador Coated head on top and an Ambassador snare side head on the bottom. Generic snares should also work. If you can't find a 14x6, then a 14x5 (which will probably be more common to find used) can also work if you tune it a little lower or maybe use a Remo Emporer Coated head on top. I would suggest that you try the 14x5 first because it is more versatile. It's relatively easier to make a 5" deep drum sound like a deep than it is to make a deep drum sound shallow.

Hope all of this helps.
          Last edited by joebassett; 01-24-2011, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Having heard that video, Joe's advice is all good. You ought to be able to get a sound close to that out of any drum at least 14x5 as long as you've got it tuned well. I use a 14x5.5 Mapex maple drum with the Ambassador head combination that Joe mentioned above for almost all of my gigs/sessions/services/etc. and it's a very versatile drum.

The advice to look for a used drum is also very good. The instrument being used in that video is priced in the $600-700 range here in the US, so used may be the way to go. If you really want a new drum, here are a couple that might be worth looking at:

Pork Pie Little Squealer
            Mapex MPX
            Eric Frisch
            www.ericfrisch.com

Comment

so

Mapex MPX 14 x 5.5 Inch Maple Snare Drum Acoustic Drums

will it give the deep sound ?

Comment

If you tune it well, you should be able to get a pretty deep sound out of it. If you want a really deep sound, you should look for a 14x6.5 (though those are harder to find in the budget range). Also keep in mind that a $150 drum is probably just not going to sound like a $600 drum, so I would definitely see what might be available used in your area before you drop the money on the Mapex. Having said that, if you want to buy new and that's your budget, the Mapex would definitely be my recommendation. They make solid gear at good prices.
                Eric Frisch
                www.ericfrisch.com

Comment

Hello, I'm new here, my wife referred me as she thought I'd be interested in the topic.

My suggestion: used Ludwig Acrolite. 14x5, aluminum shell, very versatile. I don't know about on your side of the pond, but in the US they pop up used on EBAY all the time for $100-130. You can find info on them all over the web, but I'll hit the highlites:

The chromed-aluminum (called Ludalloy) Ludwig Supraphonic is one of, if not the, most recorded snare drum around. They've made it forever. In the 60's they released a student version of the drum with the same shell but 8 lugs instead of 10, no chrome, and cheaper lugs and snare wires. They've made it ever since. In the 70's and 80's they were painted gray, and sometime in the 90's they switched to a sparkle black called Black Galaxy. That's what I have, shipped with a padded bag for $115 a year ago. New, they sell for ~$300. You can tune them low, med or high and they sound good.

Question for you: Is the sanctuary small? Do you play in a monkey cage (sound iso-booth)? Is volume an issue? I ask because volume is always an issue for me. Some snares are louder than others, and the Acrolite is not super loud as snares go.

Good luck!
                  Jeremy
                  Last edited by Gearhead; 01-24-2011, 06:50 PM.

Comment

hi

ermmm
                    we play at a small evangellical church hall so its more like a big room
                    we use a drum screen about 7 panels that rap around half the drum kit

Comment

Ah, well that's pretty common in worship settings, which is why I asked So much of the volume control is dependent on YOU. I was at a seminar once where the guy demonstrated playing a really fast beat, with regular sticks, QUIETLY. Amazing.

Anyway, I'd check out used Acrolites if I were you! Good luck.

Jeremy

Comment

I second the Mapex snare idea. My main snare is a Mapex Black Panther 13x7 walnut. I have Evans reverse dot & hazy 300 heads on it...tune it low & you'll get that full rich tone you're interested in. Tune it high & you've got an unbelievable crack. Its a very versatile drum that won't break the bank.

Also, keep in mind that the snare sounds fairly compressed in that video also, so you're not getting a 'true' picture of what the drum sounds like.
                        ((Matt))
                        Drummer & Technical Director - Carolina Bays Church - Little River, SC
                        Owner - G.A.S. Powered Productions
                        "When you are down to nothing, God is up to something"

Comment

Working...
                        X