Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hitchface View Post
    Was it hearing with your eyes?

Had to ask. Most folks can't get past the lack up pickups. Some time I'd like to test out the VaxII in Les Paul form and see if anybody says anything.
    No, not at all. I guess it's a very versatile guitar, and Steve Howe really has his hands full, sometimes using three guitars during one song. He usually keeps his variax mounted on a stand and it allows him to play the intro for Roundabout or And You And I (if I remember correctly). It just sounds a bit less than authentic — he used to use a twelve string acoustic, so maybe the modeling is not the best for the sound he is using.

Comment

That is the trick with acoustic modeling...the "in the room" feel is impossible to get, because you don't have an acoustic guitar.

That said, V2 is supposed to be significantly more authentic. For my uses, I wouldn't care...my goal isn't to mimic the real thing.

Ok, sorry about the hijack.

Comment

That is the trick with acoustic modeling...the "in the room" feel is impossible to get, because you don't have an acoustic guitar.

That said, V2 is supposed to be significantly more authentic. For my uses, I wouldn't care...my goal isn't to mimic the real thing.

Ok, sorry about the hijack.
        Well, that's the thing about all these guitars—they have advantages and disadvantages—playability, tone, versatility... whether it be a Variax, Gibson, Fender, PRS, Hagstrom (man, I wish I still had my old Hagstrom)... it's whatever suits you as far as your style and your needs.

I played a synth access guitar for a couple of years and in some ways it was great... I could replicate an acoustic sound and add a string sound or pad along with it, it was nice, but it was glitchy sometimes, so now I just keep it simple.

Comment

lol nice

i said so in jest, in case anyone was wondering. but for real, to me a fender looks and feels incredibly cheap, even the really expensive ones. but millions of people who play fenders must see something in them, i guess!

takimines have never really been my taste either. what is it that you like most about them?

Comment

Consistancey mostly and like Fender I don't have to go out of my way to worry about their well beingLOL. When my daughter was just crawling she accidentley tipped a Les Paul over off the stand and when it hit the carpet the headstock blew off. I thought I just got a bad one until I heard of stories that other Gibson owners have told me. Fenders probably can be tossed onto a parking lot and hardly a scratch and most likley still be in tune. Takamines I have been playing for over 10 years haven't given me grief either. I imagine Martins are the same way but I can't afford them.

Comment

Originally posted by RefineryWorship View Post
              but for real, to me a fender looks and feels incredibly cheap, even the really expensive ones
              See, you need to qualify that statement. Which Fender?

I am a pilot. When I was getting my private license, people said "What do you train in?" I said "Mostly 172s. Sometimes the 182 RG, depending on the flight."

They'd give me a blank stare and go "So, Cessnas then?" I roll my eyes and agree. Probably because most people don't know that Cessna makes everything from this:

to this:

I personally think some Teles look cheap, but I really dig their sound.

Comment

What a tired old argument, Gibson v. Fender.

For the life of me, I cannot understand why people (especially God's people) feel the need to go beyond expressing their like for something and tear down what other people prefer or use.

The world is a better place for some of the great recordings by guitarists who opted for those cheap looking Fenders.

I don't need to list them, do I?

Comment

Originally posted by Louis View Post

For the life of me, I cannot understand why people (especially God's people) feel the need to go beyond expressing their like for something and tear down what other people prefer
                  I don't think it's like that LOL. It's just different strokes for different folks. Some like Gibson as compared to Fender. Tube amps to modelers, acoustic to electric, ect... I kind of like the palet of colors that are available and choose to perfer one to another. It's all good baby.

Comment

It is funny that you mention this. On my own team the other guitarist came later, I was there first and the gear I had was Marshall and Fender so as he was aquiring gear he would not get anything that was related to Marshall or Fender ha ha ha. He would almost be upset if I was going to purchase anything Vox or Gibson. He has become a dear friend to me so I respect his wishes. Even though He likes hollow body electrics , he would be reluctant to buy a Gretch because Gretch is owned by Fender LOL. I bought my son a Epiphone Les Paul and could tell my friend was mildly upset that I bought my son something that wasn't Fender affiliated. Musicians defy logic ha ha ha.............what are ya gonna do?

Comment

For the life of me, I cannot understand why people (especially God's people) feel the need to go beyond expressing their like for something and tear down what other people prefer or use.

The world is a better place for some of the great recordings by guitarists who opted for those cheap looking Fenders.

I don't need to list them, do I?
                      I'm having a hard time determining if you are serious...

If so...HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

If not...I was actually being inquisitive. I could care less what kinda guitars people like (unless it is actually very poorly made and sounds like nails on a chalkboard AND they are on my team...then we might have to talk) and relish the diversity. But, I do like people to qualify what they say. Blanket statements just don't do it for me.

Comment

I'm having a hard time determining if you are serious...

If so...HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

If not...I was actually being inquisitive. I could care less what kinda guitars people like (unless it is actually very poorly made and sounds like nails on a chalkboard AND they are on my team...then we might have to talk) and relish the diversity. But, I do like people to qualify what they say. Blanket statements just don't do it for me.
                        I was serious.

Comment

Well then I said what I meant and I meant what I said. Especially the part about the elephants.

Comment

I personally think some Teles look cheap, but I really dig their sound.
                            I personally think that some people who play Teles look cheap. And I'm serious.

Comment

I was serious.
                              I get what you're saying Louis. I was on another forum and read a comment that went something like " My guitar would beat up any other guitar " LOL. I never thought of guitars as being alive ha ha ha. The argument can get ridiculous.

Comment

This discussion is becoming awfully weird...

Comment

Working...
                                X