!-- Beacon Ads Ad Code -->

Sponsor Ad:

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DYI Attenuator and tips on reducing volume.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DYI Attenuator and tips on reducing volume.

Most of us don't live or play in a place were we can crank our amps. If you have a tube amp they beg us to crank!

So i built an attenuator to knocks off 9db. that like taking a 100W amp down to 25W, or a 50W amp down to 12.5W. 9db is not enough to destroy my tone,

What you need, a chassis, A high wattage 4Ω and high wattage 8Ω resistor/load. I used a cookie tin (free), 4Ω 200W power resistors ($15) and an 8Ω 100W ($45) Weber Mass Motor. So a total of $60 bucks which is not bad at all. Opps forgot i used a couple jacks i had laying around.

Another way to reduce volume is to use say a 1x12 over a 2x12 or 4x12. For every speaker you add or subtract is a 3db difference. That would be the difference between a 50W and 100W amp.
    Attached Files
    Live Blessed!

GREAT info, Nomad! I was just looking at a new tube amp this morning. looking to go low wattage, but don't necessarily want the "dirtier as you get louder" scenario...maybe AU7's intead of AX7's?

Smitty
    Love ONE woman...MANY guitars!

www.davidsproblem.wordpress.com

Comment

Power tubes

Well with lower wattage amps it's the power section that's distorting or a combination of preamp and poweramp. Changing preamp tubes to a lower gain tubes wont clean up the power amp, it will more than likely change where the poweramp starts to distort on the Master Volume. The power tubes and power supply determine what the max clean volume an amp can produce.

A side note, I believe the 12AU7's bias warmer than a 12AX7 when used to replace a 12AX7. Which would change the voicing of the amp possibly giving the perception of a lower volume.

p.s. i'm a closet nerd!
      Live Blessed!

Comment

No worries, my friend. I'm glad to have access to your knowledge. Asking what I hope are intelligent questions is one of the best ways I have found to expand my own knowledge base.

Smitty
        Love ONE woman...MANY guitars!

www.davidsproblem.wordpress.com

Comment

i actually really enjoy answering questions
          Live Blessed!

Comment

Working...
          X