Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you look for in a guitar?

Hey folks.

I'm going to be starting a guitar-building business and I need some input from as many people as possible! I need to know what you all look for in a guitar - both electric and acoustic! what are the most important features and qualities that you need in a guitar? what are some things you'd like to see on a guitar, that you haven't already?

I am unable to separate the guitarist in me from the worshiper in me (probably a good thing) so these guitars are going to be geared towards use in a worship setting. Please give me input!

Thanks a million!

flexible

for me the biggest thing I look for in a guitar is the ability to go from clean/accousticiy sounds to a more fat robust sound. right now I play with a fat strat and a sheraton ii with added rails pickup - what i love about both of them is (obviously with a little pedal dancing) I can go from a thick distorted sound to playing what the audience thinks is an acoustic without changing instruments. I really like guitars to be able to do that.

Comment

I agree with the flexibility note. I play a Highway One Strat with the Atomic Humbucker at the bridge. The tonal variety available through multiple pickups/combinations is really key to how I play, because versatility is everything.

Comment

I have never used an electric in a worship setting as I've been involved mostly in a small church with a very clean mixed worship sound. I purchased a Seagull Entourage last year for the cedar top which produced a very warm sound. I am now attending Ada Bible in Ada MI where I hope to be part of the worship team soon. I'm actually looking at a jumbo to make my primary guitar. I like the thick bass sound I get out of it and the diversity it allows. To me the most important thing in an acoustic guitar is solid wood (preferably all the way around, but at least top) and great electronics. Keep us updated on your business, I'll be very intersted to see how it develops!

Comment

For acoustic guitars, i prefer a built in tuner and balanced out. I have a fender strat acoustic, cheep guitar! With Acoustic Slinky strings it sounds awesome plenty of cut punchy and doesn't get in the way of other instruments on stage. I can even play lead on it and it doesn't feel much different than one of my electrics.
          Live Blessed!

Comment

For electric i prefer a mellower sounding guitar. Mohogany body and neck, this lets me sit back in the mix without having to turn it down so low my amp sounds bad.
            Live Blessed!

Comment

In electric and acoustic I look for accuracy,balanced weight, playability, great tone, reliable electronics and tuning machines, good looks and great craftmanship. I also like an onboard tuner but is not nessesary.

Comment

Originally posted by Edwin View Post
                ...great tone,...
                Dontcha know that comes from your fingers?

Ok, I know what you are saying. I just laugh sometimes because of how subjective "great tone" can be.

Comment

what do you mean by accuracy? Things like intonation should be a given, if it's not set right the instrument is pretty much useless to me.
                  Live Blessed!

Comment

Originally posted by hitchface View Post
                    Dontcha know that comes from your fingers?

Ok, I know what you are saying. I just laugh sometimes because of how subjective "great tone" can be.
                    OK great tone and playability can be one.

Comment

Originally posted by nomad100 View Post
                      what do you mean by accuracy? Things like intonation should be a given, if it's not set right the instrument is pretty much useless to me.
                      I started to play guitar in 1968 and back then finding a guitar that was accurate and with a streight neck were rare. especially on an acoustic. unless you got a Martin, Gibson or Fender. Guitars are a lot better these days and I have to laugh at people who think "vintage" is better. Vintage is worse.

Comment

I was giving an answer to a man who wanted to know what I looked for in a guitar. I told him because he was going to start building them. These are my opinions and I wasn't trying to squash your opinions.

Comment

Not a direct response but I'm slowly being convinced to switch sides in the great debate. I used to be a Tone is everything and if playing is a little bit harder it's worth it. But I've recently been of the mind that emoting/communicating is my main goal, and to that end playability (the ease of expression) is more important than tone.

Of course someday I'll be able to afford a guitar in which both are a given (sight unseen, strings unplayed).
                          I need pictures of your drummer in his booth/cage/room http://drummersbehindglass.com

Comment

And of course if it's enjoyable to play and sounds great but can't stay in tune, I'm not interested.
                            I need pictures of your drummer in his booth/cage/room http://drummersbehindglass.com

Comment

You probably cannot build one like this but my favorite is the Composite Acoustics Cargo. The 3/4 fret spacing and small body are great for my arthritis, and it sounds like a dreadnought and never goes out of tune. Loud enough for a Sunday school room.

Sent from my Milestone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X