Good amp[s] for worship?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good amp[s] for worship?

I am the lead guitarist for my worship band, and I am looking to purchase a new amp that is more reliable than my 1982 Fender Princeton Chorus (which is going to be reserved for the studio )

I'm looking at two different amps, but cannot make up my mind between the two. A hand-wired Vox AC-30 (w/ Celestion Alnico Blue) or a Fender SuperSonic (w/ Celestion Vintage 30).

What do you think?
    What amps do you play?

Thanks, God Bless,
    Andrew.

Gosh - that's like asking "what's your favourite guitar!"

All I can say is currently I am playing a Fender blues junior but would love to get a Mesa Boogie Lone Star Special and also a Marshall 1987X.

Simon

Comment

Andrew I have the Supersonic 60 watt and just bought the Supersonic 22 watt. I have found that the 22 watt is lighter to carry and allows me to get better distortion because I am able to turn it up more. It just depends on how loud you play.
      Last edited by Deuce; 11-09-2010, 09:46 AM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

I've really been enjoying the Randall MTS amps. It's basically an all tube "modeling amp" They a 20 watt ones that hold 2 and that would be perfect for church. I have the 100W one, and it totally rocks.

That way you can have the vox and the fender tone.
        Live Blessed!

Comment

I've heard nothing but fantastic things about the Atomic Reactor series. A little spendy, but you can snag an active wedge and put whatever you want in front of it in terms of pedals. Technically designed for digital rigs, but nothing is stopping you from using analog effects/distortions in front.

Comment

would have to have something with a speaker sim, because the wedge is full range.
            Live Blessed!

Comment

Fender Super Champ XD...cheap, tube power section, only 15 watts, multiple tone possibilities, and it's pretty easy to hack an effects loop into. I've had mine for a year, and I love it!

Comment

I use a Mesa Boogie DC-3 at half power (2 power tubes, 15watts) and it works really well because I get a great tone without having to play too loud.

If I were looking for a new amp, I would get a Hughes and Kettner 25th Anniversary Edition Tube 20w 1x12. I have a Hughes and Kettner Triamp that I use for recording and plan on using on larger venues, and H&K tube amps have, for me, the perfect tone.
                It might not be
                The prettiest thing that you'll ever see
                But itís a new day, oh baby, itís a new day
                ~Robbie Seay

Comment

I am currently using the tweaker head and cab. at 15 watts I can drive it pretty good without blowing the roof off. I have been seriously considering the new Fender MustangII . If I can get the clean i like and the Dirt that i like without a pedalboard to haul around I will be happy. Plus It sounds pretty darn good for $199.

Comment

do you want something low volume? if thats the case (some churches are pretty picky about volume levels... ugh) then the Orange Tiny Terror is perfect! Its 15w and pumps out some great tones. Personally I use a Fender Frontman 212r. Its a great amp if you want a cheap amp thats sturdy, solid state (not tube unfortunately), has three onboard channels (1 clean, 2 distortion), and has an amazing built in reverb effect. Both amps are great. If you want a good tube amp with more powerful you can't go wrong with a fender deluxe or fender deville....both are amazing amps and are perfect for that crisper sound you generally want in a worship band.

Comment

Originally posted by broncstomper View Post
                      I am currently using the tweaker head and cab. at 15 watts I can drive it pretty good without blowing the roof off. I have been seriously considering the new Fender MustangII . If I can get the clean i like and the Dirt that i like without a pedalboard to haul around I will be happy. Plus It sounds pretty darn good for $199.
                      I'm gonna have to disagree on the not having a pedal board. I know its personal opinion and you're totally entitled to your opinion but onboard effects almost come up lacking...they're just not very good. the only exception are a few distortion, chorus, and reverb effects.. sometimes those are good.

Comment

I saw the manic street preachers on TV the other night and noticed that James Bradfield was using exactly the sort of setup I am lusting over - a Mesa Lonestar amp into a vintage Marshall cab, although his guitar looked like a Gibson Les Paul whereas mines a 335!

Always nice to see a famous pro having the same ideas as yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by loveisarevolution View Post
                          I am the lead guitarist for my worship band, and I am looking to purchase a new amp that is more reliable than my 1982 Fender Princeton Chorus (which is going to be reserved for the studio )
                          I'd get another Princeton Chorus as a backup. I have an Ultimate Chorus (the Princeton's big brother) and if it died, I'd have to find another one. The chorus on it is second to none.

You could probably find another Princeton that's been looked over for fairly cheap, too.

Comment

15 or 20 watts is good for most church situations but in the choices you mention I personaly would pick the Fender because I think it sounds better clean than the Vox and you can always add dirt.

Comment

blackstar, anyone?

I think 2011 might be the year I return to an amp (been using POD stuff for last five years), so this conversation is timely for me.

I was using a Laney VC50 (which I love, but it's a little big for the venue). So I'm looking for something small (keep stage volume down) and I came across Blackstar HT-5 - a little 5w tube combo. The other similar size small watt tube combos I looked at (Vox, Egnator) were geared more for the studio and didn't have footswitching between channels. So that's the big selling point for Blackstar.

Any one have any experiences with Blackstar - or any options out there that I'm missing? thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X