Pod X3 Live Patches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pod X3 Live Patches

Hey everyone! I use a Pod X3 Live and an RI Fender '72 Tele Deluxe. The patches I use for my pod are mostly for contemporary stuff, and modeled after what Lincoln Brewster used to use. I want to start adding some other patches and rounding out my sounds. What other kinds of patches would you guys recommend? My main ones are: Clean, Swell, Overdrive, Solo. Thanks.

Well, I use the new HD500, but I've got 7 patches now that I use regularly. There will be some spillover in models between our units.

1. Basically a clean with several stomps for versatility. A phaser, tri-chorus and a particle reverb for really moody shtuff. Amp model is the Hiwatt DR-103, although I was using the Blackface model with some success.

2. Basic crunch with a lead. Marshall JTM-45 with a tube drive in front, and a stomp tube screamer for lead.

3. The quintessential U2 patch. 2 Blackface Doubles in stereo, each with a digital delay w/mod and a cave reverb ahead of it all. The delays are respectively set for dotted 8ths and dotted 16ths.

4. A big hall sound...basically another BF Double with the drive cranked, a dynamic delay set at dotted 8ths and a cave reverb. Very similar to the intro riff in MWSs version of "Mighty to Save".

5. A mellow lead channel. A tube drive in front of a Dr. Z (I don't know what the X3L equivalent of that is...) into stereo delays (auto volume on the left with a short predelay and a dynamic delay on the right) followed by a hall reverb.

6. My big fat rhythm channel. Bogner Uberschall on the left and a JCM800 on the right. Each is panned hard left and hard right, and the Marshall is mixed in +2 dB. That fantastic Marshall crunch combined with the smooth Uber in full stereo is something to behold. No effects...just amp.

7. All ambiance, here. Grab any crystal clean amp, throw a pitch shifter (+12.0) on one side only and a giant reverb or two at the end. The effect is almost full-range organ sounds, but with more...airiness. Dreamy.

Anyway, just a peek at what I use a lot. Even before I had the HD, I had about 10 sounds that really covered the basics, plus a bunch of other 1-offs for certain songs. I've only had this thing for a couple of weeks, and I still haven't scratched the surface. I can't imagine what I'd do with nearly 100 amps...
    Last edited by hitchface; 11-08-2010, 01:53 AM.

Comment

Wow, that seems like a lot of things to keep track of.

Comment

Thanks! I'll definitely start tweaking today. A friend of mine just got the HD500 and said it's uneblievable. I'm saving up for one.

One other question. Can you tell what LB is using here? I've always been a fan of his, but his tones are so precise I have a hard time emulating them in the least bit. We're playing this song for a Thanksgiving Chapel, and was wondering if you could help me out. Thanks!

Link: YouTube - Lincoln Brewster- Everybody Praise The Lord (album vers) HQ

Comment

Originally posted by Edwin View Post
          Wow, that seems like a lot of things to keep track of.
          Eh, not so much. Think of it like this:

If you explained in a hurry all of the techniques you use as an experienced guitar player (legato, arpeggiated chording, tapping, modes, etc) to a beginner with only basic chord knowledge, it would probably blow right over him/her. But because you've worked at these things and spent time with them, you know not only how to use them but when to do so.

Not saying that you are a basic guitar player if you have less sounds, not by any stretch. But I have spent time with these sounds, know how they are organized and how they react to certain styles of playing. Simply by nature of practicing with them, it makes them easy to keep track of.

EDIT: Almost forgot about the Lincoln Brewster clip. The album was released in 2k6, so chances are he was still using the X3L at that point. He says that he favors the Plexi Variac model with Greenback 25s, so I'd start there and test every stomp box you've got. It is kinda tough finding the details. He does have his patches for download on his website, so you could start there.
          Last edited by hitchface; 11-08-2010, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Thanks! That definitely helps!

Comment

HI Rafe, here are the tones I've got set up currently on my X3 Live:

1. Clean Praise: 1967 Class A30 Top Boost. 0 Drive, about 30% volume. Red Comp, Stereo Square Chorus, Stereo Delay set up (though I don't use the mods often on this tone).
              2. Worship Overdrive. Again using the A30 top Boost, this time 45% drive and 60 volume. Screamer (5, 50, 50), Analogue Chorus, Digital Delay (set to dotted quaver tap tempo). Tone two is set up exactly the same, but with slightly more drive to give me that cruchier tone if desired.
              3. Tone 3 is my "prayer tone" - great for playing underneath while someone is praying. Line 6 Clean, 20% drive, 25 vol, 74 Bass, 37 mid, 64 treble and 0 pres. Mods active are sine chorus (0.79hz, 71 depth, 50 bass, 63 treble), stereo delay (dotted quaver tap, 38 l-fdbk, 50 r=fdbk, 76 offset) and dark hall reverb (45, 71, 53, 18). I find that this gives an awesome pad-type effect while fingerpicking.
              4. Piezo Fingerpick - for my acoustic. I run my acoustic into the Aux channel, so I've set up my tones so input for other tones is only guitar, and this one is only Aux. This tone has Line 6 Tube Preamp, 0 drive, 12 volume, 69 bass, 53 mid, 67 treble, 54 pres), Analogue chorus (0.31hz, 66 depth, 50% balance for both bass and treble, 75% mix)

That's what I mostly use for Sunday mornings. I do have some other tones set up for youth meetings where I can be a bit louder, but at the moment I'm wanting to take a look at them and rework them for next year. Of course, you'll need to adjust the tones based on your guitar. I'm using a Fender Squier Standard Strat, and an imitation Ovation guitar branded "California" - again, looking to upgrade one of my guitars (haven't decided which yet) next year.

I bought a book from Amazon titled "Introduction to GUitar Tone & Effects" by David M. Brewster (no idea if he's related to Lincoln) and published by Hal Leonard. It goes through various settings to get you started on your amps and the different types of effects, and includes sample settings for various tones: For example on the tube screamer, a blues and country guitar sound would have overdrive at about 7 o'clock, tone at about 10-11 o'clock, and level at 12 o'clock, where as the metal tone has overdrive at 4 o'clock, tone at 1-2 o'clock and level at 12 o'clock. While these won't be perfect for your guitar, it can be helpful in giving you a starting point to work from.

I'm in love with my X3 Live, I just wish I had more time to play with it. I've got a week off from work over Christmas, I'll have a play with it then.

Comment

I just bought the Pod HD300, got a great deal at $279. It has most of the same features as the HD400 & HD500. Now I just have to load it up!

Comment

hy MADVIOLINIST, just wanna ask, do u play hillsongs and planetshakers? if yes, what are the appropriate patches on podx3l?do u mind if u can share the patches or ideas on creating good tones with nice reverb and delay. (i just bought the podx3l&stuck on how to get good tones and had a hard time selecting the amp models to be used. Tq

Comment

Originally posted by Rafe_Altschuler View Post
                    Hey everyone! I use a Pod X3 Live and an RI Fender '72 Tele Deluxe. The patches I use for my pod are mostly for contemporary stuff, and modeled after what Lincoln Brewster used to use. I want to start adding some other patches and rounding out my sounds. What other kinds of patches would you guys recommend? My main ones are: Clean, Swell, Overdrive, Solo. Thanks.
                    Hi Rafe,

I use very similar patches to you. I custom tailor my sound banks according to songs in our sets. So, if I'm playing the intro to a certain song... I will have my basic "clean" "drive" and then the specific patch for that song. For the next song, I will have a custom bank for that as well but I always have my basics loaded with each bank.

Jake

Comment

Working...
                    X