Jumbo Guitar Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jumbo Guitar Suggestions

Hello there. I am hoping to be able to purchase a new Jumbo Acoustic Electric for use in worship. I'm hoping you all have some suggestions. I'm looking to spend between $1000.00-3000.00, preferrably on the lower end, but I want to make sure to get something decent. I currently play a Seagull Entourage Cutaway Dreadnought. I love the sound, but I'm looking for something a little brighter sounding for some of the songs that move a bit. Anyway, I'd love to hear any suggestions you have. Thanks!

Originally posted by faithbiker View Post
    Hello there. I am hoping to be able to purchase a new Jumbo Acoustic Electric for use in worship. I'm hoping you all have some suggestions. I'm looking to spend between $1000.00-3000.00, preferrably on the lower end, but I want to make sure to get something decent. I currently play a Seagull Entourage Cutaway Dreadnought. I love the sound, but I'm looking for something a little brighter sounding for some of the songs that move a bit. Anyway, I'd love to hear any suggestions you have. Thanks!
    So which is it, a jumbo guitar or brighter sounding? Just to clarify a jumbo guitar is typically larger than a cutaway and sometimes larger than a dreadnought guitar but usually of similar sound (beefy bottom end).

If you want a brighter sounding guitar, you need to consider a florentine cut or venetian cut medium sized guitar with mohagony or maple sides and back. If you want to stay with the jumbo or dreadnought size you will need some kind of pre-amp (on the guitar or external) that will allow you to cut mids/lows and boost the treble.

I have a Taylor 314ce which is a medium sized guitar that has sapelle (african mohagany) sides and the Venetian cutaway. It is a bright guitar that can cut through a mix easily, but, it doesn't have the full bottom end of my Martin Dreadnought. I use the Martin for solo acoustic, or, acoustic driven songs.

So, I would recommend a Gibson SJ-200 EC if you want to stick with the Jumbo size. It has maple back and sides and runs about 3500.

If you want a guitar with more brightness I would recommend a Taylor 514ce, but find one with a Spruce top and not the Cedar top. The Cedar top is good for fingerpicking, but Spruce is better for strumming.

Comment

The Gibson J200, Guild F50 jumbo, and Taylor615-CE come to mind but Telecasters are typically brighter sounding.

Comment

Anyone have any experience with a 815 CE? I talked to a guy tonight I could buy a practically brand new one in my price range. I think about 5 years ago he paid $2400 for it.

Comment

The 814ce I played the other day sounded amazing, but definitely not a bright guitar. Deep, full, and rich is what I would describe it as, so, I would try it before you buy it and see if you like it for your purposes. Would he let you borrow it for a weekend?

Comment

I think I could probably play it at least. I'm not sure if he'd feel comfortable letting me borrow it.

Comment

Hello all, I've narrowed down my search to the Martin JC 16re and the Taylor 815CE. Does anyone happen to own both and can compare them for me? I'd also appreciate anyone's experience on either one individually. My friend's 815CE I'm getting a price for first and then he's going to let me borrow it for a week or something. Either way I'm sure I'll be very happy, but I was drooling over the Martin the other day at guitar center.

Comment

Working...
              X