Thinking about a new Guitar

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about a new Guitar

So I am thinking about maybe getting a new guitar for Sunday worship in the next year. Gotta save my pennies to get one. Anyway I was wondering what you guys are using out there for your main guitar. I am going to stick with an Acoustic-electric. I am the worship leader and I just feel more comfortable leading with an acoustic for some reason. I've been throwing around the idea of a Taylor 314ce but that's really more than I want to spend but who knows.

I would love to stay in the $500 range and have something with great tone that's not to bright.

Takamine EG523SC is a very good sounding and playing guitar with excellent electronics and is on sale at Takamine EG523SC Jumbo Cutaway Acoustic Electric Guitar at AmericanMusical.com

Comment

I use a Martin DCX1RE (a little above your price range).

If you have a guitar shop in your area I would really recommend going to one of those and playing everything in your range you can get your hands on. When I saved up money for mine I went to two guitar shops and played probably 30 guitars during which the DCX1RE stood heads and tails above the rest (for what I was looking for) making it an easy decision.

Comment

I like the Takamine and martin's. Yeah I plan on spending a lot of time at Guitar Center and a couple of local places. It's going to be at least mid next year before I can think about getting one but I always start researching this stuff way in advance and love to know what other people are playing. I'm the kind of person to that if it's an extra 200 or even 1000 more for the guitar that I really want, then I will just wait and save up.

Guess I'm going to get to drive my wife nuts for the next 12 months or so, trying out guitars.

Comment

An important factor is how big your team is. If it's just you, then you won't have many restrictions, but a full band changes things. You should ask if you can try out each guitar during a worship set. Different guitars/electronics cut though a mix differently. I use a Taylor 614ce. The maple lets this guitar cut through with good clarity. It's not as full sounding unplugged, but I bought it specifically for leading worship with a full band (acoustic, electric, drums, bass, keys, vocals). I realize the Taylor is out of your price range, but I still recommend trying everything in your worship setting first, before you buy it.

Hope that helps and good luck!

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by sevenmiles View Post
            An important factor is how big your team is. If it's just you, then you won't have many restrictions, but a full band changes things. You should ask if you can try out each guitar during a worship set. Different guitars/electronics cut though a mix differently. I use a Taylor 614ce. The maple lets this guitar cut through with good clarity. It's not as full sounding unplugged, but I bought it specifically for leading worship with a full band (acoustic, electric, drums, bass, keys, vocals). I realize the Taylor is out of your price range, but I still recommend trying everything in your worship setting first, before you buy it.

Hope that helps and good luck!

Tim

Thanks for the input. I had thought about that. I don't know if Guitar Center will let you do that or not. I would love a 614ce but yeah it is going to be out of my range for a while. It is a full band, acoustic, bass, electric guitar, keys, vocals, piano occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by rcflyer23 View Post
              Thanks for the input. I had thought about that. I don't know if Guitar Center will let you do that or not. I would love a 614ce but yeah it is going to be out of my range for a while. It is a full band, acoustic, bass, electric guitar, keys, vocals, piano occasionally....
              Ask about leaving a deposit. Heck, if you're pretty sure you like it and you have the money, just buy it and return if it doesn't quite mix with your worship sound. GC's website says they offer 30-day 100% refund if you're not satisfied. (Please confirm that with your store, of course.)

God bless,

tim

Comment

I bought my Taylor 314ce used on Ebay for 1000 bucks 5 years ago and it has been the best guitar ever. I have had other guitars, and even now I have a martin, but when it comes to all around versatility nothing beats the Taylor. I would recommend holding off until you can get the 314ce. Even used in rough condition is still better than what 800-1000 buys new. Just avoid the ones made in 2003 to 2004, some of them have wonky ES pickups.

Comment

If you are going to save up there are much finer guitars than Taylor and Martin. Checkout Goodall, Collins, Mcpherson, and Santa Cruz. You are probably not going to find these makes at Guitar Center.

Comment

If I could only have 1 electric guitar it would be a Fender Strat. I have 4 guitars I use and the Strat and my Tele are my "go to guitars". Still I would pick the Strat because of its versatility.

Comment

you want a good balanced guitar for UNDER 500 bones, check out the Epiphone Ej-200 CE. you CAN NOT go wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Edwin View Post
                        If you are going to save up there are much finer guitars than Taylor and Martin. Checkout Goodall, Collins, Mcpherson, and Santa Cruz. You are probably not going to find these makes at Guitar Center.
                        I would love to have any one of those. I love the Collins. I'm an aspiring Luthier myself and have a great respect fro these guys. I unfortunately am probably going to need the guitar sooner than I thought I started looking over my current guitar and am noticing some significant wear on the fret board that could end up causing a fret to come free, plus it was a cheap guitar in the first place. I've had it for about 15 years now and it's just finally starting to show some age.

I went and played several Taylors this weekend and several Martins as well as the Takamine EG523SC and was very impressed. I'm also going to look at a Michael Kelly Jumbo. I've pretty much decided I want a jumbo as well so that's changing my focus as well.

I do appreciate all the input. It pointed me in the right direction.

Comment

Originally posted by rcflyer23 View Post
                          I do appreciate all the input. It pointed me in the right direction.
                          The reason I mentioned the 523 is that I have been using the 12 string version for a little over 4 years in church. It projects bass middle and treble and dosen't favor any one of those in peticular. It hasn't failed me unless you count dead batteries ( they last me about 9 months ). Any more these days pretty much all acoustic's are fairly accurate And your choice will probably suit your needs for a worship setting. I haven't played the Epiphone J200 or a Micheal Kelly jumbo but I think they would do the job.

Happy hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by Edwin View Post
                            The reason I mentioned the 523 is that I have been using the 12 string version for a little over 4 years in church. It projects bass middle and treble and dosen't favor any one of those in peticular. It hasn't failed me unless you count dead batteries ( they last me about 9 months ). Any more these days pretty much all acoustic's are fairly accurate And your choice will probably suit your needs for a worship setting. I haven't played the Epiphone J200 or a Micheal Kelly jumbo but I think they would do the job.

Happy hunting.
                            Thanks Edwin,

My Struggle with the Michael Kelly is finding a local dealer that has one in stock. I guess though with Guitar Centers return policy I could order and if I didn't like it then I can take it back. Hopefully I can find someone local so I can play it.

Comment

I've used both a low end Takamine (with a solid spruce top) and a Seagull Entourage (with a cedar top). The Seagull had a definite warm tone in your price range. I've not played the Takamine Jumbo suggested earlier, but I would imagine it would have a very nice warm thick bass sound as well as I've experienced with other jumbo guitars. I'm actually going to be picking up a jumbo soon for that reason.

Comment

Working...
                              X