Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Originally posted by simon View Post
    Which takes me back to the original question - I wonder if this new instrument from Fender is "good enough" on the acoustic tone for the worship setting? It looks like a step up from the acoustic simulator pedals or just sticking a piezo on a normal electric.

Simon
    The problem is trying to mimic a sound quality and in my opinion is so far done poorly. I guess if you are going to be a one man band one could overlook the sound quality. There are decent acoustic electrics that are available for well under $1000.00.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by nomad100 View Post
    i wouldn't say not matter what equipment. You have to keep in mind a good amount of people listen mostly to words, but a few of us listen to the music. Bad tone is a distraction to me, both as a player and a listener. I think a tube preamp in the loop of the pod would be a good compromise.
    I suppose the question is how bad does the tone have to be to cause a distraction? I have previously been a bit of a tone snob but was humbled the other day by a friend whose amp died at a gig so he plugged his Tele into a borrowed Boss SD-1 and then sent the signal straight to the desk. He's a great musician but I only realised quite how great when he managed to make this set-up sound close enough to his normal tube amp (a DSL60) that once the rest of the band was playing I couldn't really tell the difference!

Which takes me back to the original question - I wonder if this new instrument from Fender is "good enough" on the acoustic tone for the worship setting? It looks like a step up from the acoustic simulator pedals or just sticking a piezo on a normal electric.

Simon

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Edwin - from this and the POD thread I get the feeling that you wouldn't be happy playing anywhere without something like this:

[url]http://worshipinthecity.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/800px-marshallstack_slayer.jpg[/
    Good for you.

Leave a comment:

• nomad100
    replied
    i wouldn't say not matter what equipment. You have to keep in mind a good amount of people listen mostly to words, but a few of us listen to the music. Bad tone is a distraction to me, both as a player and a listener. I think a tube preamp in the loop of the pod would be a good compromise.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Edwin - from this and the POD thread I get the feeling that you wouldn't be happy playing anywhere without something like this:

http://worshipinthecity.files.wordpr...ack_slayer.jpg

However the longer I'm involved in music the more I realise that it's how you use stuff that matters, and flexibility in both set-up time and sound in a worship setting is loads more important than thousands spent on a killer tone that frankly won't be noticed by the majority of people! Good guitarists sound great, and good worship leaders lead well, no matter what equipment they have!
    Well said.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

http://worshipinthecity.files.wordpr...ack_slayer.jpg

However the longer I'm involved in music the more I realise that it's how you use stuff that matters, and flexibility in both set-up time and sound in a worship setting is loads more important than thousands spent on a killer tone that frankly won't be noticed by the majority of people! Good guitarists sound great, and good worship leaders lead well, no matter what equipment they have!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I used an Ibanez Montage hybrid for a couple of years—it was a shallow hollow body, but set up and had playability closer to an electric. It had magnetic and piezo pickups as well as built-in FX such as distortion, chorus, reverb.

It was cool in the beginning—it enabled me to leave my pedals at home, switch mid-song for a totally different sound, etc. In the end, I realized I wasn't using it much any more because it wasn't as good an acoustic as my Martin, nor was it as good an electric as my Strat. I sold it to a happy new owner.

Maybe this Acoustasonic Tele® is better, though for me I like the FEEL of an acoustic as well as the sound, so I think for now I'm happy just using either/or.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Oh there's loads of benefits of an electric sounding like an acoustic:

Lighter strings
    Easier to play (faster!)
    Smaller case
    Lighter Guitar
    Using single channel in the PA
    Flexibility between electric/acoustic sounds
    Switch between sounds quicker in a song

Yeah with a truck to carry your kit or in a studio there wouldn't be much purpose, but for traveling lightly or switching between sounds quickly within a single song I can't see what there isn't to like about such an instrument - so long as the acoustic sound is believable

I am sure you are right. In a worship setting I fail to find the need for any of the above you suggest.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Oh there's loads of benefits of an electric sounding like an acoustic:

Lighter strings
    Easier to play (faster!)
    Smaller case
    Lighter Guitar
    Using single channel in the PA
    Flexibility between electric/acoustic sounds
    Switch between sounds quicker in a song

Yeah with a truck to carry your kit or in a studio there wouldn't be much purpose, but for traveling lightly or switching between sounds quickly within a single song I can't see what there isn't to like about such an instrument - so long as the acoustic sound is believable.

Simon

PS I've been wanting to put a piezo bridge in an ES335 for a while however have not yet got the balls to trust a luthier hacking into my beautiful instrument!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I have heard of guys with acoustics playing through a distortion pedal also to sound like an electric. I would play an acoustic to sound like an acoustic and an electric to sound like an electric. I don't have a good opinion about morphidite guitars. It seems rediculous to me.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Looks interesting... I wanna give it a go, but Id probably prefer to just play a Taylor T3/b or something

Leave a comment:

• nomad100
    replied
    I've really wanted to experiment with a piezo bridge in an electric guitar.

Leave a comment:

• simon
    started a topic Acoustasonic Tele

Acoustasonic Tele

Has anyone had a chance to try out this new guitar from Fender:

http://www.fender.com/products/searc...tno=0144500300

It looks absolutely perfect for worship leading when "you have to play an acoustic but wish it were an electric"!

I've yet to see one make it over to any of my normal music stores this side of the Atlantic, and would love to know how it sounds!

Simon
Working...
X