Les Paul Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Les Paul Project

I bought a cheap Silvertone LP on Craigslist the other day. I've been playing a MIM Strat since '98 that is lovely, but I wanted to expand my sound a bit and get something with humbuckers. Love the new guitar (and especially the price!) but I'd like to upgrade it a bit.

It's been professionally set up, but now I'd like to change the pickups. I'm new to the modding world, so I'm looking for some advice on inexpensive but nice sounding humbuckers. My budget is around 100-150 bucks, so I can't go too crazy (not that it would really be worth spending more on the pickups than the guitar itself...)

Advice/ideas? Thanks!

Originally posted by DanKMyers View Post
    I bought a cheap Silvertone LP on Craigslist the other day. I've been playing a MIM Strat since '98 that is lovely, but I wanted to expand my sound a bit and get something with humbuckers. Love the new guitar (and especially the price!) but I'd like to upgrade it a bit.

It's been professionally set up, but now I'd like to change the pickups. I'm new to the modding world, so I'm looking for some advice on inexpensive but nice sounding humbuckers. My budget is around 100-150 bucks, so I can't go too crazy (not that it would really be worth spending more on the pickups than the guitar itself...)

Advice/ideas? Thanks!

I guess that would depend on what kind of sound you are going for.

I put some DiMarzio super-distortion humbuckers on a Gibson Melody Maker and that thing SCREAMED!
    8-)

what? me worry?

Comment

Good point. I use pretty simple effects, just some light OD, a bit of delay, and reverb. Sometimes I'll throw in a phaser or tremolo, but I still keep things pretty subtle. I'm looking for a nice warm tone.
      Any suggestions?

Comment

On a silvertone I wouldn't put anything more expensive that GFS pickups. I'm not knocking it, it is what it is, (I just recently bought a teisco import that hadn't been branded yet) but for the price of a great set of pickups to put in a sub-par guitar you could get a medium range guitar and be ahead.
        I need pictures of your drummer in his booth/cage/room http://drummersbehindglass.com

Comment

Originally posted by DanKMyers View Post
          Good point. I use pretty simple effects, just some light OD, a bit of delay, and reverb. Sometimes I'll throw in a phaser or tremolo, but I still keep things pretty subtle. I'm looking for a nice warm tone.
          Any suggestions?

Seymour Duncan makes very good sounding humbuckers that will fit into a single coil slot for your strat. I would be hard pressed to put money into a Silvertone simply by what has been established as pro gear.

Comment

I'm with Travis...go for some GFS 'buckers. They have a large variety, so you are sure to find something to your taste, the price is right, and the wiring codes are the same as for Duncan p'ups.

Smitty
            Love ONE woman...MANY guitars!

www.davidsproblem.wordpress.com

Comment

Working...
            X