the ongoing search for strings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the ongoing search for strings

I've been searching for the right set of strings for a takamine eg340. I know I don't like coated strings, I've tried D'addario exp, even though they lasted longer (almost 2 years since i wasn't playing it often) they weren't satisfying. I've tried Martin and darco, they're okay but not great. I need something with great projection since the guitar itself is lacking.

What's your favorite set of uncoated acoustic strings?

Wow that's tough. I like Elixirs and the D'Addario's both but if those aren't working for you try a set of the Ernie Ball acoustic strings. Let me know how it works out for you!

Joel

on Twitter (joelrockemann)
    or Life with Jding

Comment

You might like the Martin Marquis strings- I like them better than the Martin SP strings, if you haven't tried them.

Comment

That's easy...
        DR Sunbeam Mediums.

They don't break, and they sound like new a month after putting them on, even under heavy use... I won't use anything else.

Comment

What brand and model of acoustic do you have? Scale length, top wood, jumbo? Do you finger pick or strum with a pick? What style of worship? (Country, rock, punk, etc.)

Comment

I agree with SaintLewis - DR's are great. I use the Rare Phosphor Bronze 12's on one of my acoustics (Tacoma Chief). I also use the Elixers and have really liked them.......what was it about the coated strings you didn't like?

Comment

I have a question for you all

Here's my question. Which guage of strings, ie. thicker or thinner should a person put on an acoustic or electric when they drop tune down one full step. Currently I love my Elixirs 10-50's in regular E tuning. But when I drop down a full step and tune in D the high end loses it. I think they hit the frets and are too loose for the drop tuning. They tend to vibrate out of control too much. But the Low end sounds really great. Maybe I could put just thicker guage on the high end strings? Anyone ever play with this concept? If so I would Like to hear your results please.

Mike
              I didn't mean to be inaccurate, but I wasn't trying to be precise.

Comment

I agree with SaintLewis. DR Sunbeams are the way to go. Also, Ernie Ball Earthwoods are an excellent cost-effective option.

Comment

Originally posted by chipshot0701 View Post
                  Here's my question. Which guage of strings, ie. thicker or thinner should a person put on an acoustic or electric when they drop tune down one full step. Currently I love my Elixirs 10-50's in regular E tuning. But when I drop down a full step and tune in D the high end loses it. I think they hit the frets and are too loose for the drop tuning. They tend to vibrate out of control too much. But the Low end sounds really great. Maybe I could put just thicker guage on the high end strings? Anyone ever play with this concept? If so I would Like to hear your results please.

Mike
                  I would think 12-56 or 13-60 would be appropriate for tuning a full step down.

and Gary, as i said in the OP, its a Takamine eg340= dreadnought body w/ cutaway, solid spruce top, laminate mahogany back & sides, finish is a HEAVY gloss which is probably the main cause of volume/projection problems. I do both fingerpick and pick. On the rare occasion I use this in service, it may need to cover pop (i.e. Bethany Dillon - All I Need), power-pop (i.e. Casting Crowns - Lifesong), southern rock (i.e. Third Day - Revelation), R&B (i.e. Lean On Me), ballads (i.e. Mac Powell - By His Wounds)... old and new, soft and rowdy, everything in between.

Comment

and Gary, as i said in the OP, its a Takamine eg340= dreadnought body w/ cutaway, solid spruce top, laminate mahogany back & sides, finish is a HEAVY gloss which is probably the main cause of volume/projection problems. I do both fingerpick and pick. On the rare occasion I use this in service, it may need to cover pop (i.e. Bethany Dillon - All I Need), power-pop (i.e. Casting Crowns - Lifesong), southern rock (i.e. Third Day - Revelation), R&B (i.e. Lean On Me), ballads (i.e. Mac Powell - By His Wounds)... old and new, soft and rowdy, everything in between.[/QUOTE]

I have 2 takamines. A EG523SC 12 string and a EAN40C 6 string. I push them through an amp and have 0 problems with projection. I don't like coated strings but I will use whatever strings that are availabe at the time. I'm not concerned about strings just their gauge, knowing that they will be pushed.

Comment

Working...
                    X